Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Insight EX now has 19,587 miles on it. Am I the highest? Purchased it the day it was introduced on June 30, 2018. About 80% of these miles are highway. So far loving it. Below are some cool features that I really like about the car.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control -- I set the cruise at a high level (like 85 mph) and then the EX will lock onto the vehicle in front of me and stay the same distance regardless of that vehicle's speed. Very convenient and a huge safety feature.
  • Walk away locks. -- Got it set so the car doors automatically lock when we are about 10 feet away. Don't even half to think about it.
  • Up to 800 feet (line of sight) away, I can turn on AC or heat (depending on summer or winter) with remote to get the car down to (or up to) a 72 degree temp. Very nice.
  • Apple Car Play -- Love both Apple and Google Maps on the big 8 inch screen for navigation. Now WAZE is available.
  • Right side blind spot camera. Huge safety feature.
  • Large back up camera with fantastic peripheral vision
  • Even though we are often cruising at 80-83 mph in western states like Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, South Dakota (all of which have 80 mph posted speed limits on interstates), I'm still averaging 42 mpg.
  • Great in town mpg of 55+ in spring, summer and fall with warmer temps. Goes down in cold weather winter to mid to high 40s, but still great.
  • Comfortable seats, especially compared to our old 2015 Honda Fit.
We are in the middle of a cross country road trip. We have about 4,500 miles left on the trip, so by mid July when we return (to Spokane, WA) it should have more than 24,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is currently at 20k now, mostly freeway with an average 53mpg. I bought it last august. Still no issues. Love my insight!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great write up. I'm holding out for a 2020 Touring or at least a better deal on a 2019 since I'm so close. You list the things you like. What do you and others not like or would change after having the car a while/putting some miles on it? My driving would be similar, mostly highway in the 75-85ish MPH range. How does it handle and feel at those speeds?

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Great write up. I'm holding out for a 2020 Touring or at least a better deal on a 2019 since I'm so close. You list the things you like. What do you and others not like or would change after having the car a while/putting some miles on it? My driving would be similar, mostly highway in the 75-85ish MPH range. How does it handle and feel at those speeds?
The handling at 75-85 mph feels smooth and the car is relatively quiet (though some forum members comment on pavement quality causing road noise). The car is fun to drive at high speeds (with or without Sport mode) and ACC is recommended to make highway steady-state driving comfortable/easy.

However there's a trade-off in fuel efficiency at this 'fun' 75-85 mph speed range. The car's highway fuel efficiency ratings are based on 60 mph (EPA), and speeds up to 70 mph seem to produce mpg results in this range. Above 70 mph, expect lower mpg results than the quoted highway ratings for the car. You'll find EV mode kicks in less often at speeds above ~70 mph, as the gas engine powers the wheels and diverts less energy to (trickle?) charge the high voltage battery.

The following thread on 'Highway Driving' might be helpful as you prepare for what to expect: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2474-highway-driving.html

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The handling and feel are excellent at all speeds. What I don't like is the engine noise when accellerating or going up hill. Most of the time it's fine, but in those two conditions, it's fairly loud.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Hey Wasabi. If that is your driving speed and you are able to do that regularly on the highway (no traffic). I would not get this car if you are primarily looking at it for a MPG perspective. You just won't be happy. And from a "handling" perspective, it handles well it just does not have any pep. I'd opt for a Civic Touring maybe if I were you as you will probably get the same MPG overall and it is less expensive.

With this car, at least mine, it loves traffic and 45-50 mph with lots of opportunities for regen (which doesn't happen when driving 75+ on the highway). In my opinion, it's not a great highway car at normal highway speed limits or higher.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Will you be able to test drive the car on a highway stretch that's comparable to your daily drive? That may provide you with the best read on what to expect. Also curious on whether the follow-up comments re: 'noise' and 'mpg hit' affect your purchase outlook.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Will you be able to test drive the car on a highway stretch that's comparable to your daily drive? That may provide you with the best read on what to expect. Also curious on whether the follow-up comments re: 'noise' and 'mpg hit' affect your purchase outlook.
Yes, I'll be test driving and paying attention to noise as well as other factors. One poster mentioned getting 42mpg in similar speed ranges and that's still good. I'm still wondering if I should splurge for an Accord Hybrid or will the Insight meet my needs? From what I've read on the Accord, it would be getting similar MPG at similar speeds. Not relating to this thread but I'm also having some concerns on build quality from posters experiences here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! New member here. I have a 2019 Insight EX with 30,380 miles on it so far and i'm loving it! It's my 21st Honda product and second i-MMD product. Had a 2015 Accord Hybrid Touring with over 120k on it when I traded it in. Zero issues outside of a couple of rattles and wind noises. Haven't had any issues with the Insight outside of a stupid microphone for the active noise cancellation system that was causing an awful roaring noise on the highway. i-MMD is the best! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Purchased my 2019 Insight EX on 7/14/18. As of today I have 26,264. I'm driving 110 miles round trip every weekday back and forth to work. I love this car and the mileage it gives me. Planning on keeping it for 5 to 6 years because it will have over 150,000 miles. My only issue is that I'm 6' 1" and after a long drive its hard to get up out of it because I keep the seat as low as it will go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased my 2019 Insight EX on 7/14/18. As of today I have 26,264. I'm driving 110 miles round trip every weekday back and forth to work. I love this car and the mileage it gives me. Planning on keeping it for 5 to 6 years because it will have over 150,000 miles. My only issue is that I'm 6' 1" and after a long drive its hard to get up out of it because I keep the seat as low as it will go.
Agreed. I'm 6'2", 230 lbs and have a similar issue. Also the pedal box is quite small compared to my Accord Hybrid and I find it hard to sometimes step on the right pedal with my size 13 workboot. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another new member here but I've been lurking for a few months now.

I got my cosmic blue EX in November and it currently has a little more than 16,100 miles on it, probably 97% of which are highway miles. I drive about 95 miles roundtrip every weekday for work. Loving this car, I don't think I could be any happier with it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I haven’t even made my second car payment yet and I’m ALREADY at 5250 miles on my Insight! Most of that is city/suburban miles.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts