Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
181 - 200 of 203 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Let me add that as I was driving from Wisconsin back to MD recently, I decided to draft big rigs at 1 bar on the ACC....noticed what seemed like at least a 5 MPG gain at 74 mph as opposed to when I was not drafting anything at 70 mph,

· Registered
112 Posts
Somewhere way back in this thread I believe, I said I changed out the left front axle because of a noise. Come to think of it, it’s more of a rattling noise and it doesn’t bother me too much but it’s there.
Sometimes such rattling sounds can occur due to stones falling under the protective panels, the loss of the clips or screws that secure them. It is also worth looking to see if all the fender liner clips are in place.
Check out more

51320-TBA-A02
Link, FR. Stabilizer

· Registered
692 Posts
Sometimes such rattling sounds can occur due to stones falling under the protective panels, the loss of the clips or screws that secure them. It is also worth looking to see if all the fender liner clips are in place.
Check out more

51320-TBA-A02
Link, FR. Stabilizer
I don’t think they are stones in that area because I know what the sound of rattling stones sounds like, and it definitely doesn’t sound like that. I’ll have to check the other mentioned suggestions.

· Registered
692 Posts
I’m at roughly 230k now and feel I can drive this car forever (even though I know I can’t).. but zero mechanical issues up until this point.. I’ve got some money set aside to when I might have to change the hybrid battery.. I’m so glad I betted on Honda reliability and never bought the extended warranty.. I baby this car, keep up on maintenance strictly, and use Lucas fuel system cleaner on every single gas fuel up so I’m sure my ICE is in tip top condition.

I’m lucky I’ve driven this far and long without any major accidents that would’ve salvaged my car. I consider it an honor to take the Insight into uncharted territory.

· Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
63 Posts
I’m at roughly 230k now and feel I can drive this car forever (even though I know I can’t).. but zero mechanical issues up until this point.. I’ve got some money set aside to when I might have to change the hybrid battery.. I’m so glad I betted on Honda reliability and never bought the extended warranty.. I baby this car, keep up on maintenance strictly, and use Lucas fuel system cleaner on every single gas fuel up so I’m sure my ICE is in tip top condition.

I’m lucky I’ve driven this far and long without any major accidents that would’ve salvaged my car. I consider it an honor to take the Insight into uncharted territory.
When hit 1 Million miles maybe Honda will buy it back. :D

· Registered
121 Posts
The software might barf on that and bring the car to a complete stop. :) Just joking on that but harking back to the days of the YTK scare, there is a remote possibility that the software might not have been tested for this possibility and theoretically, could crash when that number comes up. Assuming that the system software was really tested hard, the likely result would be either reverting back to zero miles and potentially confusing things like service alerts, or else internally storing the number correctly as 1,000,000 and displaying it as 000,000 if the display is limited to six characters.

My guess is that this would be a trivial problem that was detected and corrected way back in the inital design stage.

· Registered
692 Posts
Yeah after all it is a digital odometer and not restricted like a physical odometer. Also a lot of thought went into the 3rd gen Insight so theres a good chance the 7 figure mileage was programmed into the odometer.

· Registered
692 Posts
I went to the dealer today to get my oil changed and the free multi point inspection came up with a possible valve cover gasket leak at 240k. I took my car to an independent mechanic at 217k to get the valve covered gasket replaced along with the spark plugs and I contacted them about this and they said bring in the car so they can check it out for free. I hope it’s a quick fix and nothing else and my streak of not having any mechanical or any engine issues up until this point is not ruined. But if it is a valve cover gasket leak, that’s not too bad at 240k.

· Registered
533 Posts
I went to the dealer today to get my oil changed and the free multi point inspection came up with a possible valve cover gasket leak at 240k. I took my car to an independent mechanic at 217k to get the valve covered gasket replaced along with the spark plugs and I contacted them about this and they said bring in the car so they can check it out for free. I hope it’s a quick fix and nothing else and my streak of not having any mechanical or any engine issues up until this point is not ruined. But if it is a valve cover gasket leak, that’s not too bad at 240k.
If you had the valve inspection done at 100k - then I would say it's probably something the previous person didn't do correctly when they had the valve cover off (torqued the fasteners incorrectly) but seriously at 240k and a valve cover leak is amazing..

· Registered
692 Posts
I’m at the independent shop and they told me the oil on the valve cover gasket was probably from last oil change and they said there’s no oil on ground after they parked it. They are going to clean the valve cover gasket if all the dirt and have me come back in about 500 miles. I think the dealership was just being really cautious. My oil level is fine.

Looks like my problem free streak continues.

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
I’m at the independent shop and they told me the oil on the valve cover gasket was probably from last oil change and they said there’s no oil on ground after they parked it. They are going to clean the valve cover gasket if all the dirt and have me come back in about 500 miles. I think the dealership was just being really cautious. My oil level is fine.

Looks like my problem free streak continues.
🤑 <--- This is what the dealership was thinking when they saw the mileage on your car. ;)

· Registered
692 Posts
🤑 <--- This is what the dealership was thinking when they saw the mileage on your car. ;)
yeah, I switched to a new dealership so I gotta be careful with their recommendations. It’s funny because when I was at the independent shop, the person there said he used to work for Honda after saying there was no leak possibly implying that they pull this kind of stuff. I also told him the situation about what the dealer said.

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
yeah, I switched to a new dealership so I gotta be careful with their recommendations. It’s funny because when I was at the independent shop, the person there said he used to work for Honda after saying there was no leak possibly implying that they pull this kind of stuff. I also told him the situation about what the dealer said.
Yeah, I'm not surprise because some Honda dealerships here even have a specific coupon for high mileage Honda vehicles. They know the higher the mileage, the more expensive the repair, they can scare you into doing.

Property Product Building Font Door

· Registered
692 Posts
I’m really excited to say that my gas mileage has gone up with less AC usage now that it’s cooler from 47 to 48 mpg to a little bit over 50. I am at 243K looks like my hybrid battery is still pretty good.

· Registered
692 Posts
How do you tell that your battery is good? Can you use a scan tool to find out?
No. Usually the dealership or a shop that specializes in hybrids will have something that checks the health of all the cells. This reminds me that I might take it to a shop close to me that specializes in hybrids to get a complete health check on my hybrid battery.

· Registered
692 Posts
I just called a local shop that specializes in hybrids and they told me they do a load test and check for something he called “variations”. There were numbers he gave me. But at least he was honest and told me if my mpg improved recently that my hybrid battery is in good shape and that I don’t need to test it. He said the best thing you can do for the hybrid battery is drive the car a lot.

I remember when I had a gen 3 Prius, I took it to another shop that specialized in Priuses and they were more in depth and would check the health of all the cells. This job was a few hundred bucks but I turned it down because I was somewhat low mileage at 150k.

· Registered
692 Posts
Well, I am at about 253K and I am at an independent shop and what originally was thought as a possible valve cover gasket leak is actually a timing cover gasket leak. The dealer misdiagnosed it as a valve cover gasket leak twice, but after doing a follow up at the independent shop, they discovered the timing cover gasket leak.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts