Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
30,000 miles passed today and feelin' fine! I also have a heck of a tank average going on for late February in NJ!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
It's been warm and barely any snow this Winter for Boston. What about in NJ? My tank average is currently 49-50mpg vs 41-42 mpg last February.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
I've managed to stay +> 60mpg this winter (unlike last year). Warmer temps have definitely helped.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I've managed to stay +> 60mpg this winter (unlike last year). Warmer temps have definitely helped.
Congrats on the 30k mark, and excellent continued mpg. Motor Trend's closeout review article looked at Fuelly and quoted average mpg around ~47 mpg. You're definitely #winning. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I finally broke 3,000 miles. . . nowhere to go to right now. But my last fill up I averaged 58+. Happy here in Cowlowrado!

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
66 Posts
32740 now... mileage dropped as we are not visiting the MIL since Feb as she lives asst living. That dropped the mileage by over 300 every two weekends...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was just thinking if I could make it to 500,000 miles on the original ICE with my Insight.. that’s far ahead but at my rate doing Lyft/Uber, I’m estimating about 7 years if I still keep doing rideshare.

I’ll have to see what other newer super high mileage hybrid Hondas are experiencing.

I wonder if I could still keep decent gas mileage too with a replaced/reconditioned hybrid battery/motor..

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I was just thinking if I could make it to 500,000 miles on the original ICE with my Insight.. that’s far ahead but at my rate doing Lyft/Uber, I’m estimating about 7 years if I still keep doing rideshare.
With proper maintenance and assuming the ICE runs ~50% of the time, I think you have a decent shot at 500k driven miles (~250k ICE miles) based on Honda's engine reliability history. We've speculated 250-300k miles without engine issue, which seems to be proven out by this this Accord Hybrid owner.

But to make it to 500k miles, I think the HV battery will need to be replaced at least once (or more?) above 150k miles as a trade-off to engine life. The rough cost for a full HV replacement (vs cell replacement) is ~$4k at maybe at 150-200k miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm also a member of a 10th gen Civic group. This same topic came up there. The highest mileage reported was 145k on a 2016. There was another 2016 with 90k that was still on the original brakes. Quite a few high mileage reports with no problems.

·
Registered
338 Posts
With proper maintenance and assuming the ICE runs ~50% of the time, I think you have a decent shot at 500k driven miles (~250k ICE miles) based on Honda's engine reliability history.
This is what actually influenced my thinking toward achieving 500k without issues on the ICE..

you can’t really compare it to Honda’s standard cars because you’re utilizing the ICE full time..

when I had a 2010 Prius I, i got it to 177k without any ICE issues and maintained the car well but didn’t treat it well (driving wise) and it still held up..but still a Toyota and not Honda..

I baby my Insight though..

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
when I had a 2010 Prius I, i got it to 177k without any ICE issues and maintained the car well but didn’t treat it well (driving wise) and it still held up..but still a Toyota and not Honda..
Were you able to make it to 177k miles on the original Prius HV battery as well?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Were you able to make it to 177k miles on the original Prius HV battery as well?
Yes.. I took my car to an independent mechanic that specialized in hybrids to do some routine work and he did a free “light test” of the hybrid battery and said it looked good (but that was around 155k miles)..

I think Honda and Toyota (and a few independent shops) will do the in-depth hybrid battery test (for a fee) to check each cell.

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
66 Posts
35,968 miles, by the time I get home from work the warranty will have expired... just under 11 months since driving it off the lot with 40 miles...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
With proper maintenance and assuming the ICE runs ~50% of the time, I think you have a decent shot at 500k driven miles (~250k ICE miles) based on Honda's engine reliability history. We've speculated 250-300k miles without engine issue, which seems to be proven out by this this Accord Hybrid owner.

But to make it to 500k miles, I think the HV battery will need to be replaced at least once (or more?) above 150k miles as a trade-off to engine life. The rough cost for a full HV replacement (vs cell replacement) is ~$4k at maybe at 150-200k miles.
I wonder if we can run the Insight without the HV battery like a Civic. :whistle: I don't plan on keeping my Insight longer than 10 years which is when the HV Battery warranty expires for me.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I wonder if we can run the Insight without the HV battery like a Civic. :whistle: I don't plan on keeping my Insight longer than 10 years which is when the HV Battery warranty expires for me.
Unlikely to be driveable without significant reprogramming. The Insight's start-up checks include HV battery readiness and connection check steps - Premature Driving Before System is Ready

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im over 21K...in August it will be a year. I enjoy the car a lot, my personal down fall is just that the car still sits lower than I had like only because Im used to my past two Tacomas I had.

The other personal down fall is there is no one that makes a built in semi-custom gun safe like I had from Console Vault for my trucks. And I have not seen anyone on the forum posts any pics of their safes if they have one for the Insight

61 - 80 of 92 Posts