Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
No service bulletin for the evaporator but I was looking at the receipt and the labor was around $1300, the bulk of the entire cost.. it was a lot of work as they had to remove entire dash.. I’m kinda pissed because I was stuck in a bad situation with the weather as it’s warm now and I do Uber.. otherwise I could’ve waited to get it done somewhere else for cheaper..

·
Registered
504 Posts
no I didn’t .. I had my condenser changed back in dec 2021 and changed under warranty (that was on service bulletin) but didn’t think the evaporator as well as condenser could both be affected but I’ll ask tomorrow when I pickup up car because it wouldn’t hurt to ask..

The tech is going to put in colored dye in the Freon to see if it’s just the evaporator that is leaking and nothing else.. I’ll have to come back in a couple of weeks.. praying it’s just evap..
Seems crazy to me that the evaporator wouldn't be affected by the same issue. Now I am worried lord..

·
Registered
602 Posts
Seems crazy to me that the evaporator wouldn't be affected by the same issue. Now I am worried lord..
I wouldn’t worry.. I’m super high mileage and living in socal, I ran the ac year round , albeit lowest setting in winter but ac usage is high from my car..

Just an afterthought but I should’ve had them replace the compressor while they were in there.. just didn’t think about it then and damn service advisor didn’t suggest it..

·
Registered
602 Posts
Scratch that .. just called for price of ac compressor and it’s around 1k.. not as cheap as evaporator .. hopefully it’s super reliable ..

·
Registered
602 Posts
The gen 3 insight ac compressor is electrically- DRIVEN… not like most standard ac compressors, which are run by ICE.

Good news though: there are a ton of used gen 3 ac compressors on eBay for around $200.

when my compressor goes out, I’ll just buy a low mileage good condition compressor and find a shop to do it for cheap.. not dealer..

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
118 Posts
The gen 3 insight ac compressor is electrically- DRIVEN… not like most standard ac compressors, which are run by ICE.
With ICE, are the compressors belt driven? If so, I still don't understand the difference. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to see if I'm missing something. Perhaps the answer is that direct electric-drive will have constant force applied whereas ICE may have variable force dependent on belt speed which will vary with RPM. Or something like that. That would make some sense. I can't think of anything else.🙂

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,781 Posts
With ICE, are the compressors belt driven? If so, I still don't understand the difference. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to see if I'm missing something. Perhaps the answer is that direct electric-drive will have constant force applied whereas ICE may have variable force dependent on belt speed which will vary with RPM. Or something like that. That would make some sense. I can't think of anything else.🙂
ICE compressors are driven from the crank pulley. As the Insight's ICE is not always running, that's not a feasible setup.

In the case of the Insight, the compressor is engaged by electric switching. In the case of ICE, the compressor pulley is engaged by a clutch within the compressor meaning the compressor pulley is always spinning. I would think the electric compressor would have a longer lifespan due to this difference. It's not about mileage in the Insight - it's about actual usage time and aging/environment.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Most ICE vehicles have a belt driven AC compressor. When the AC is off, the clutch free wheels, not turning the compressor. When you turn it on, electric current energizes the clutch and it pushes inward, causing the belt to now drive the compressor. It’s partially why older cars always seemed to cool better when driving at higher speeds because the engine turns the compressor faster than it does at idle (cooling air being forced over the condenser is the other reason).

With a hybrid or an ICE with an auto off feature, the engine isn’t running at stoplights therefore the AC wouldn’t run with a belt driven system, burning up the occupants. Therefore, these have an electric motor that constantly turns the compressor independent of what the engine is doing. This is why our Insight has a more expensive compressor.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Most ICE vehicles have a belt driven AC compressor. When the AC is off, the clutch free wheels, not turning the compressor. When you turn it on, electric current energizes the clutch and it pushes inward, causing the belt to now drive the compressor. It’s partially why older cars always seemed to cool better when driving at higher speeds because the engine turns the compressor faster than it does at idle (cooling air being forced over the condenser is the other reason).

With a hybrid or an ICE with an auto off feature, the engine isn’t running at stoplights therefore the AC wouldn’t run with a belt driven system, burning up the occupants. Therefore, these have an electric motor that constantly turns the compressor independent of what the engine is doing. This is why our Insight has a more expensive compressor.
Now for something cool about our AC systems I discovered long ago (sorry had to make a pun)... The compressor doesn't just turn on and off like conventional ice compressors, it slows down depending on the heat load as well. This is a more efficient way to run an AC system and some of the most efficient home/office units run this way as well (inverter technology).

·
Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
41 Posts
The charge and depletion of the battery seems in the normal range to me. I’m getting about 48 mpg now, which is what I was getting when I switched tires at around 45k.
You currently have the same type of tires as the ones when you switched at 45k? What tires are you using?

141 - 160 of 183 Posts