Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 6 months or so we've heard a high pitch whine for 5 to 10 seconds at various times during operating our 2019 EX. It almost always happens when just starting and I'm backing out of the driveway. But it also happens when at a stop light - maybe because it is more quiet and I can hear better then. I've determined it has something to do with the A/C because the noise stops when I turn the A/C off and starts when I turn it back on. Attached is a link to a video I took when I turned the car on and the noise started. Just before the video, I turned the A/C off, then started the video and turned the A/C back on and the noise starts again. Ideas? TIA.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,751 Posts
I was thinking blend door motor until he said it happened at stoplights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking blend door motor until he said it happened at stoplights.
Not all stop lights. It happens every time at start up, but also other times within the first 5 or so minutes of driving. I was thinking blend door motor too. Would changing the temperature setting confirm this?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,751 Posts
You can try. Set manual (non-auto). Low fan with temp at 56. This will kick a/c with top vents. Switch to heat (temp at 85+). This will force blend door to switch. That'll tell you if it's the blend door motor. Swap back-and-forth to prove for sure. The sound you provided via video sounds pretty clear, so I doubt it's from under the hood.

Reactions: lborne

·
Registered
316 Posts
That sound to me is more like when you barely open the spigot for your garden hose and you have all that water pushing through a tiny hole, or if you barely let air out of a balloon.

To wager a guess I would say a valve in your HVAC unit or expansion valve is sticking. The first step in that would be to have the Freon system leak checked and flushed {I would actually hit stuff with a rubber mallet first, but I am not the smartest man}. As long as everything is working fine though, that is a messy system to just go play around in. I am not saying ignore it until it breaks, but the system is rarely the same after hands start going in it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I’d say the HVAC expansion valve is your most likely candidate. Blend doors normally make an audible clicking sound when they break, not a whistle, as they are driven by plastic gears. Expansion valves are located inside the dash assembly and can make a whistling sound when stuck or leaking. Since it occurs as soon as you turn the AC on, when freon would be forced through this valve, I’d say that’s your issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Carfreak09 is right. Making the blend doors open and close did not reproduce the sound, only turning the A/C off and back on made the noise. Guess I need to take it into the dealer before the warranty is up. Ugh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Took it in to the dealer today and they said it was slightly low on freon which is why it was making that sound. They did a purge and refill of the system. I was able to get the car today but have to go back tomorrow for the paperwork since they were backed up and I will ask why they didn't try to find the leak. At least it is now on record.

·
Registered
344 Posts
UPDATE: Took it in to the dealer today and they said it was slightly low on freon which is why it was making that sound. They did a purge and refill of the system. I was able to get the car today but have to go back tomorrow for the paperwork since they were backed up and I will ask why they didn't try to find the leak. At least it is now on record.
Yea, it would be odd if they didn’t attempt to find the leak. The expansion valve can make noise when low on freon, but that’s not a common occurrence. I wonder if you have a pinhole leak in the condenser, which is a known problem on 2019 models and has an extended warranty because of it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It would not be odd at all. If you have read any of Honda's troubleshooting guides their first step is normally kick it back to the customer and tell them everything is okay.

I would say they probably went with the first step on page 3 and moved on with life. Good news, next step is the expansion valve.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts