Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Insight EX model have the option to open garage doors via honda link?
Since there arn't the usual 3-buttons I'm assuming there isn't unless they're incorporated/programmed into the center screen perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
HomeLink is only offered on the Touring trim via buttons on the auto-dimming rear view mirror. It's not a feature that's available or programmable via the infotainment system. Depending on the Honda model/year, HomeLink buttons are placed on the rear view mirror, overhead module, or sun visor.

There's probably a wiring/programming option that might enable HomeLink on an EX trim, if the auto-dimming mirror is installed.

On the Civic forum, HomeLink was (finally) added to the GenX refresh (2019+) and might be an OEM option to check on for fit/compatibility with the Insight. Before it was added, folks on the Civic forum were retrofitting the HomeLink module from other Hondas onto the Civic. Some examples are below:

- Retrofit from Odyssey - https://www.civicx.com/threads/oem-homelink-install.4683/
- Retrofit from other options - https://www.civicx.com/threads/has-anybody-found-a-clever-way-to-setup-your-garage-door-opener.30393/

There's also an "in-dash" alternative option that might be interesting to consider. @hasarad did something like this for garage opener.

- In Dash Alternative - https://www.civicx.com/threads/in-dash-garage-remote-homelink-alternative.28732/

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Since there arn't the usual 3-buttons I'm assuming there isn't unless they're incorporated/programmed into the center screen perhaps?
You can buy the rear view mirror with Homelink. Honda sells it for the LX & EX separately. If your garage door supports HomeKit, you can even open it within Apple CarPlay.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
I did the in-dash option, but I was able to use my existing opener with a little soldering. I have a double momentary rocker switch, to each side controls one of the two doors. After a year, I'm still happy with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the in-dash option, but I was able to use my existing opener with a little soldering. I have a double momentary rocker switch, to each side controls one of the two doors. After a year, I'm still happy with it.
Hasarad, It's a little unclear to me what you did, can you show a pic please?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HomeLink is only offered on the Touring trim via buttons on the auto-dimming rear view mirror. It's not a feature that's available or programmable via the infotainment system. Depending on the Honda model/year, HomeLink buttons are placed on the rear view mirror, overhead module, or sun visor.

There's probably a wiring/programming option that might enable HomeLink on an EX trim, if the auto-dimming mirror is installed.

On the Civic forum, HomeLink was (finally) added to the GenX refresh (2019+) and might be an OEM option to check on for fit/compatibility with the Insight. Before it was added, folks on the Civic forum were retrofitting the HomeLink module from other Hondas onto the Civic. Some examples are below:

- Retrofit from Odyssey - https://www.civicx.com/threads/oem-homelink-install.4683/
- Retrofit from other options - https://www.civicx.com/threads/has-anybody-found-a-clever-way-to-setup-your-garage-door-opener.30393/

There's also an "in-dash" alternative option that might be interesting to consider. @hasarad did something like this for garage opener.

- In Dash Alternative - https://www.civicx.com/threads/in-dash-garage-remote-homelink-alternative.28732/

Thanks Insightfully - I like that In Dash Button from the civicx.com forum.

I purchased a Chamberlain Universal Mini control from Amazon. It can control two doors, can be put on a key chain or as you can see in the photo is small enough to velcro to the dash and removed if I don't want to leave it in the car. I thought it was a simple and reasonable solution for just $27, but I still like the In Dash button.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749HB5QT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
It appears to me, that the space where the 3 home link buttons are on the 03-10 Pilot and maybe Accord and Odyssey overhead console appear to be the same as the blank space in my 2019 Insight overhead console. So I need to check if there is space for the home link module. Probably will need to tie into the light power. If so, I can buy an old overhead console on ebay for $30, then integrate it into my overhead console. Since I only have 1 garage door opener, I would only mill out a slot for the middle of the 3 buttons and just remove the others.

Before I start taking apart my Insight overhead console (risking damaging the map light covers), does anyone else think this might work?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
It appears to me, that the space where the 3 home link buttons are on the 03-10 Pilot and maybe Accord and Odyssey overhead console appear to be the same as the blank space in my 2019 Insight overhead console. So I need to check if there is space for the home link module. Probably will need to tie into the light power. If so, I can buy an old overhead console on ebay for $30, then integrate it into my overhead console. Since I only have 1 garage door opener, I would only mill out a slot for the middle of the 3 buttons and just remove the others.

Before I start taking apart my Insight overhead console (risking damaging the map light covers), does anyone else think this might work?
How did I miss that?! I will follow your progress closely. The Homelink system will come as one piece with the three buttons and cover piece. I'm not sure it can be readily separated. Using the map light power would be genius. The Homelink transmitter would only be powered when the car is on and then for a few minutes afterward. This adds security. The objective would be to score a homelink transmitter in the same color as the Insight's plastic interior pieces.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have considered something similar due to a design change I'm considering on my insight. All the units I have seen seem to have the button unit but they seem to run into a second small unit which I think is the actual transmitter. Make sure what you buy isn't just the button only section. It might be only part if the entire unit.

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The objective would be to score a homelink transmitter in the same color as the Insight's plastic interior pieces.
No, I remember taking my wife's apart on her odyssey and the three buttons and unit are separate from the plastic part that is seen from the car (IIRC). So I'd just take the unit out, mill a slot into my Insight's overhead console, and somehow glue the transmitter and buttons on the inside.

Step one is to see what size the transmitter is and to see if there is room in the Insight. If it looks like it will fit, then I'm going to check my local junk yard, and if no luck, order one from ebay. For $30 it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer. I went ahead and took the overhead console apart. Looks like there is room.

First photo is the console taken out - only two metal screws. The metal traces are for the lights and the bottom one is ground as one of the screws connects it to the car frame. The black module must be the microphone, but I didn't investigate as I don't car right now.

Second photo is the map light and cabin led mood light (under the pinhole) removed.

Third photo is it flipped over.

Fourth photo is the center unit removed - the cabin led mood light and where the home link module would go.

Final photo shows the black part removed which is essentially blank, only consisting of a single LED for the cabin mood light that shines through that small pin hole. Looking at the tan part, I would need to mill a slot in that upper blank space opposite the pin hole. Then figure what mods to make to the black part to fit the home link in there. If I'm lucky, it would fit perfectly.

Then of course, tap into the lights power. This looks simple. My next step is to find photos of other overhead consoles taken apart like this showing the homelink module and try to estimate its size, but it should work. Stay tuned.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts

Seems like it should work, similar to what Civic owners attempted with pictures/description in CivicX forum posts above.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
If you have a my-Q enabled garage opener by Chamberlain / LiftMaster, there's an option to use the following app. - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chamberlain.android.liftmaster.myq&hl=en

CivicX forum member mentions installing the app and being able to use on head unit - https://www.civicx.com/threads/has-anybody-found-a-clever-way-to-setup-your-garage-door-opener.30393/#post-509985

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went to my local U-Pull-It and unfortunately they did not have any newer Hondas with homelink. But they did have some 03 - and I think 04 Odyssey's. I got two different overhead consoles for $10. Now to try and find out how to fit and wire them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just an update. When I have time, I am going to hook up a power supply and see if the homelink actually works before I try to fit it in the Insight overhead console. Its going to be slow going, but I'll keep everyone posted here. Not sure if I'm just going to tap into a 12 volt battery or buy a proper bench power supply like I should have done years ago.....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just an update. When I have time, I am going to hook up a power supply and see if the homelink actually works before I try to fit it in the Insight overhead console. Its going to be slow going, but I'll keep everyone posted here. Not sure if I'm just going to tap into a 12 volt battery or buy a proper bench power supply like I should have done years ago.....
Could you please upload a picture of the complete unit itself that you got. I'd like to see it's size. I have considered for a while now putting in a different homelink so I can change my mirror to a video and dimming mirror. My intentions is to maybe put a camera on the left side mirror and run the video to the rearview mirror and use it as a blind spot monitor for left lane changes. 😉

1 - 20 of 24 Posts