Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't find if this topic has been discussed before, but there are many articles in the news about Hondas being targeted for the airbags.

Here is a recent one I found:
https://www.boston.com/news/crime/2019/10/16/thieves-targeting-honda-accord-airbags-medford

This article is about Honda Accord, but other article mention Civics. This issue has been going on for some time. Apparently, it is big business.

I have a wheel lock on my Insight that will protect the airbag on my steering wheel, but I guess other airbags in the vehicle are vulnerable. Is anyone else concerned about this, or is there is anything else that can be done to protect our vehicles?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I searched and couldn't find if this topic has been discussed before, but there are many articles in the news about Hondas being targeted for the airbags.

Here is a recent one I found:
https://www.boston.com/news/crime/2019/10/16/thieves-targeting-honda-accord-airbags-medford

This article is about Honda Accord, but other article mention Civics. This issue has been going on for some time. Apparently, it is big business.

I have a wheel lock on my Insight that will protect the airbag on my steering wheel, but I guess other airbags in the vehicle are vulnerable. Is anyone else concerned about this, or is there is anything else that can be done to protect our vehicles?
My suggestion would be a security camera; as it would be tantamount in catching the bad guys.

The most vigilant thing that I use is a Wyze camera mounted inside my house (apartment) that faces my Insight (and front door). If you choose to go this route, the night vision works great, just turn off the infrared lights if mounted indoors to prevent glare.

I figure deterring a thief from my car is nice for me, but having video evidence to help the police catch the perpetrator(s) is fundamental to my neighborhood. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I think the 'market' for this airbag theft is driven by supply/demand. The Civic and Accord are Honda's top selling cars, and have been listed as the 'most stolen car' for the past 10+ years - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/30798-post25.html

In contrast, Insight sales are <10% of what the Civic and Accord sell on a monthly basis. More Civics were sold in the single month of Aug 2019 (34.8k) than Gen3 Insights have sold thru Nov 2019 in 18-months since launch (34.5k).

The risk for airbag theft from the Insight exists, but it's less of a risk IMO... for now. Assuming that thieves haven't heard of the Insight (as most buyers haven't), there's fewer places to resell it and less reason to steal.

But if Gen3 Insights stay on the road and parts become scarce, the 'market' might increase the risk of theft over time. Long term parts availability for the Insight is one of the unknowns right now, especially as I plan to keep this car 20+ years like my other Hondas - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/3570-future-availability-parts-service-gen3-insight.html

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
My suggestion would be a security camera; as it would be tantamount in catching the bad guys.
The thing about cameras now is that they are everywhere, but thieves just accept that they're being recorded and proceed.

Cameras provide great evidence, but actually identifying the thieves (all of whom are in hoodies?) seems improbable nowadays... unless some characteristic of theirs really sticks out.

I will admit I've gotten too jaded... :plain:

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I don't worry too much about things like this. I'm a if it happens it happens kind of person. :cool: I do take precautions like parking my car where I always have visibility of it and in a nicely lit area.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
From other articles I've read, the steering wheel airbag is the primary target since it's 'easy' to just break the drivers side glass and reach in to cut out the steering wheel airbag in <1 minute. Having the wheel lock and being aware of surroundings are great deterrents. - https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/10/15/air-bag-theft-prevention-how-avoid-being-targeted/1536710002/

The Insight's 12V battery placement is also a deterrent of sorts. If thieves try to first disarm the alarm by cutting the battery, they'll have a hard time finding it since not under the hood. - https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/15/honda-acura-airbag-theft-florida/

There are some 'conspiracy theories' that Honda Accords and Civics are being targeted due to the lack of Takata replacement parts for recall repairs, but that would apply more to older Hondas than current model years. Honda Corporate also claims ignorance on this since 'owners don't report to Honda that a part has been stolen.' They maintain that Hondas are a target 'based on the popularity of models in the market.'

One other takeaway I have from reading different articles is that this type of 'theft' can also occur in body shops. Dishonest shops could scam insurance and/or replace the airbags with cheaper parts, and is another angle on airbag theft to be aware of. - https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/airbag-theft.htm

·
Registered
836 Posts
The thing about cameras now is that they are everywhere, but thieves just accept that they're being recorded and proceed.

Cameras provide great evidence, but actually identifying the thieves (all of whom are in hoodies?) seems improbable nowadays... unless some characteristic of theirs really sticks out.

I will admit I've gotten too jaded... :plain:
I accept that, I will admit that my camera is mounted at about hip level, which allows me to see almost everyones face vs those that mount their cameras at a higher location. I also accept that unless I catch a license plate, identification isn't the easiest thing to do.

I have also explored putting a "dummy" camera in a more traditional location, to increase the chances that they will try and avoid "facing" that camera, while in fact facing the actual camera.

Also reading that article got me thinking about how elaborate of a scheme that would actually be. It's pretty hard to continually fraud an insurance company. A relationship would have to exist between the body shop and the "supplier", and an invoice would need to be generated with each sale. In my experience insurance companies don't generally just give out money without some form of invoice showing that a part was purchased. Even when I fixed my own vehicle, I had to jump through so many hoops for the Insurance company to be satisfied with the repairs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From other articles I've read, the steering wheel airbag is the primary target since it's 'easy' to just break the drivers side glass and reach in to cut out the steering wheel airbag in <1 minute. Having the wheel lock and being aware of surroundings are great deterrents.
I have been using a Steering Wheel Lock with brake pedal lock for some time now on my truck. I moved it to the Insight. I will buy a new one for the truck when they come back in stock. Here is a picture of what it looks like in my Insight.

I bought it from this website: http://simjack.com:8185

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also want to point out that all of the "safety steps" to remove an airbag that I had to learn seems like a complete waste of time now. lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
I accept that, I will admit that my camera is mounted at about hip level, which allows me to see almost everyones face vs those that mount their cameras at a higher location. I also accept that unless I catch a license plate, identification isn't the easiest thing to do.

I have also explored putting a "dummy" camera in a more traditional location, to increase the chances that they will try and avoid "facing" that camera, while in fact facing the actual camera.

Also reading that article got me thinking about how elaborate of a scheme that would actually be. It's pretty hard to continually fraud an insurance company. A relationship would have to exist between the body shop and the "supplier", and an invoice would need to be generated with each sale. In my experience insurance companies don't generally just give out money without some form of invoice showing that a part was purchased. Even when I fixed my own vehicle, I had to jump through so many hoops for the Insurance company to be satisfied with the repairs.
You're right about insurance companies and "proof of purchase" invoices. Some shops I dealt with still tried to beat the system by purchasing a party to get the invoice, return the part for credit and supply me with the "purchase invoice" only. It only took a few attempts of this practice for them to realize, if I did not trust the shop, I simply called the parts department and gave the invoice and part numbers in question. I would ask if they showed any "credit invoice" for the same parts by the same by shop! Very simple to catch this by making a phone call. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I have been using a Steering Wheel Lock with brake pedal lock for some time now on my truck. I moved it to the Insight. I will buy a new one for the truck when they come back in stock. Here is a picture of what it looks like in my Insight.

I bought it from this website: http://simjack.com:8185
WOW, that's intense. I was picturing more of a 'club' bar type device. I'd say your drivers airbag is pretty well locked down and at low risk for theft.

Where do you store it when not in use?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW, that's intense. I was picturing more of a 'club' bar type device. I'd say your drivers airbag is pretty well locked down and at low risk for theft.

Where do you store it when not in use?
Generally, when I am driving I put the four parts behind the passenger seat. Most of the time when the car is parked, the steering wheel lock is on the wheel. If I am only going to be gone for a while, and I am parked in a place that is busy I just leave it off. If I need the back seat area for someone or storage, I move the parts to the trunk. It is fairly easy to put on and take off when you get use to it.

Not only is the airbag locked down, also with the brake lock the car isn't going anywhere. A thief would have to be able to cut metal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
it would be less effort to have a few body panels wrapped in different colors for deterrent and rely on the built in anti theft. or move.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts