Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honda plans to highlight their technologies for self-driving capabilities at CES 2020 - the annual Consumer Electronics Show held at Las Vegas in early January 2020. - https://global.honda/innovation/CES/2020/augmented_driving_concept.html

Honda's concept for Augmented Driving is a full self-driving system constantly runs in the background and can quickly respond if/when the driver needs a break or if a crash is going to occur. According to Honda, the concept is an autonomous vehicle for people who "still want to experience the emotion and thrill of driving." Honda sees this as a bridge to transition from semi-autonomous to autonomous driving.

The concept car is illustrated as a convertible coupe design, kind of like a Honda E without the top. The interior is ultra-minimal (like Tesla?) with two rows of bench seats and no instrumentation or infotainment. The steering wheel is the only point of interaction, acting as an all-in-one control unit that integrates the ignition, steering, throttle and brake controls solely through interactions with the steering wheel. Tapping the wheel starts the car, and pulling/pushing on the steering wheel controls the car's speed... with the idea that this enables the driver to resume control quickly through just the steering wheel, if/when desired.

Along with this Honda will also highlight their "Smart Intersection" technology at CES, to demonstrate vehicle-to-communications infrastructure technology. It will demonstrate how cars can interact with surrounding cars and share data so that cars can drive through intersection with zero risk of crashing into another vehicle. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-2019-honda-insight-features-equipment/2604-trusting-acc-cmbs-4.html

Will be interesting to see 'live' photos and videos of these Honda concepts, once revealed at CES in January...

·
Registered
198 Posts
What? No Infotainment???? How are we supposed to occupy ourselves whilst the car is driving????

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is one freaky looking car and that steering wheel...
The car kind of looks to me like a rounded Honda E. (But I'm not a fan of the retro look of the E though.) And one reviewer referred to the steering wheel (and the push/pull features) as reminiscent of the "Bop It" toy of the 90s, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool.. I will be at CES 2020 so I’ll be on lookout..
A new voice-enabled Honda Personal Assistant is also to be featured. It leverages SoundHound's "Houndify" voice AI platform for 'unprecedented speed an accuracy in voice recognition and responses [...] to support natural interactions.' The custom phrase "OK Honda" will be used to wake and engage the system. Let us know what you think of it when you see it live...

https://global.honda/innovation/CES/2020/honda_personal_assistant.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts