Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stunned that Insight is 41% of Honda's electricfied sales. Here in SoCal see tons of Clarity Plugin and Clarity EV every single day especially in the Carpool lane. The last Insight I saw was a week ago, a courtesy Vehicle from a dealer. I rarely see them.

Perhaps this is California and Clarity is favored because of carpool lane access. I can tell you all the Clarity owners at my work bought / leased them for carpool lane access and only drive them to commute and don't drive them on weekends.

At my work, we have 3 Clarity's, eGolf, i3, Bolt, Model 3, 2 Prius primes... 0 insights, 2 ioniqs hybrids. Again showing the dominant Clarity over the Insight. There are also some CT200h and Gen 2 Priuses... But thats all old stuff.

Clarity's are common on the freeway on weekdays, but a rarity to be seen on weekends, relegating them to commuter vehicles. The Insight is a daily driver, so I would expect to see more of them, but sadly there are not.
It seems Honda selected California as the mecca for Clarity PHEVs. This article advises that Honda will only have on-hand Clarity inventory at California dealers, and people in other states will need to place special order (at higher price): https://www.carsdirect.com/automotive-news/honda-shifts-focus-for-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-squarely-on-california

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
It seems Honda selected California as the mecca for Clarity PHEVs. This article advises that Honda will only have on-hand Clarity inventory at California dealers, and people in other states will need to place special order (at higher price): https://www.carsdirect.com/automotive-news/honda-shifts-focus-for-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-squarely-on-california
Explains why my local dealership haven't restock the Clarity in awhile. Honda could be planning to replace the Clarity with the Honda E. Maybe they will use the Civic Hatchback platform and make a Insight Prime PHEV? :wink:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Can’t believe they stopped selling Clarity outside of Cali. Here in northern NJ, I saw probably 4-5 Clarities between my September purchase and my first Insight sighting roughly a month ago. People who have garages are probably more into the Clarity and its federal tax incentives than the Insight.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Can’t believe they stopped selling Clarity outside of Cali. Here in northern NJ, I saw probably 4-5 Clarities between my September purchase and my first Insight sighting roughly a month ago. People who have garages are probably more into the Clarity and its federal tax incentives than the Insight.
The dealerships near me(including the one where I bought my Insight) that still have 2018 Clarity Touring left are clearing them out for around $28,000 and probably lower with some negotiating.

$28,000-$7,500(federal)-$1500(MA EV rebate)=$19,000+tax & fees

If only I had a garage to charge it and this was back in December 2018...

·
Registered
836 Posts
The dealerships near me(including the one where I bought my Insight) that still have 2018 Clarity Touring left are clearing them out for around $28,000 and probably lower with some negotiating.

Ironically lately in NY, capitol district area, I've been seeing more Clarities. To be fair, they do stand out more than the Insight.

I'm super bummed that the Honda E isn't destined for the US market, I'd seriously consider that as our second vehicle, when we get to that point, it'd be perfect for me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Perhaps I'm being over sensitive about this, but the $7500 tax credit is really not very helpful to the average consumer and it always annoys me when car sellers mention this like you're going to get it. I looked into these tax credits and they really only tend to work well for people who have large tax rates to pay. Small business owners and people with a lot of sold investments ECT. For someone like me with a standard basic income, i only qualify for about $500 in tax credit of the $7500 offered. Just seems kind of disengenuous to me. Sorry to rant, it just ticks me off when people list this as money you'll get back when a lot of us won't qualify for a fraction of it. 😟

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Ironically lately in NY, capitol district area, I've been seeing more Clarities. To be fair, they do stand out more than the Insight.

I'm super bummed that the Honda E isn't destined for the US market, I'd seriously consider that as our second vehicle, when we get to that point, it'd be perfect for me.
We might get the sport version of the E here. https://carbuzz.com/news/there-s-good-news-for-american-honda-e-prototype-fans :wink:

Perhaps I'm being over sensitive about this, but the $7500 tax credit is really not very helpful to the average consumer and it always annoys me when car sellers mention this like you're going to get it. I looked into these tax credits and they really only tend to work well for people who have large tax rates to pay. Small business owners and people with a lot of sold investments ECT. For someone like me with a standard basic income, i only qualify for about $500 in tax credit of the $7500 offered. Just seems kind of disengenuous to me. Sorry to rant, it just ticks me off when people list this as money you'll get back when a lot of us won't qualify for a fraction of it. 😟
You can also wait for a leasing promotion where the automaker is willing to pass a partial or full credit to you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why Honda isn't offering any incentives on the Insight or Accord Hybrid. I did see the Clarity get a low APR incentive but that car is selling pretty bad. The Insight actually met Honda's goal of 20k Insights sold for the 1st year 2 months ahead of time so I guess they aren't as desperate to sell more.
Sorry but I had to chime in. California is littered with Clarity, both PHEV and BEV. Look at this clarity BEV lease rate (see attachment screen shot of Honda offer for Clarity in SoCal) $199 a month. $1799 down. Couple that with $2500 state incentive and various local utility/air quality district incentives and your cost for the first year is less than a $1k..... And you get carpool lane access!

My coworker bought the PHEV and I was surprised... WTF? who buys a $33k clarity vs lease? Who buys a $33k Clarity PHEV vs a $35.4k Model 3 Standard Range? He said he got $7500 fed, $2500 state, $1000 utility and bargained the price too. I called his BS and then I went and checked the State and IRS rebate requirements. boy was I wrong! I'm stunned he got so much incentive for a PHEV. I will talk to him tomorrow for the cash price he paid for the car.

Tons of these in the carpool lane commuting to and from work, but very few of them on the weekends.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Sorry but I had to chime in. California is littered with Clarity, both PHEV and BEV. Look at this clarity BEV lease rate (see attachment screen shot of Honda offer for Clarity in SoCal) $199 a month. $1799 down. Couple that with $2500 state incentive and various local utility/air quality district incentives and your cost for the first year is less than a $1k..... And you get carpool lane access!

My coworker bought the PHEV and I was surprised... WTF? who buys a $33k clarity vs lease? Who buys a $33k Clarity PHEV vs a $35.4k Model 3 Standard Range? He said he got $7500 fed, $2500 state, $1000 utility and bargained the price too. I called his BS and then I went and checked the State and IRS rebate requirements. boy was I wrong! I'm stunned he got so much incentive for a PHEV. I will talk to him tomorrow for the cash price he paid for the car.

Tons of these in the carpool lane commuting to and from work, but very few of them on the weekends.

There's a manufacturer to dealer incentive of $5000 for the PHEV in CA currently. He probably got it for under $20k after some negotiating and all the incentives. That Clarity Electric lease is amazing though. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Interestingly, this video tested Clarify fuel efficiency when run without plugging it in at all. The conclusion was that it delivered the same fuel efficiency as the Insight. Given this equivalence, it suggested buying the Clarity (instead of Insight) even if you don't plan to use the plug in charging feature.

It would lock the current rebate savings, plus offer future flex/potential for more savings if/when the car is used as a plug in hybrid in future... but I still just can't get past the Clarity's exterior look (ranks lower than Prius design in my eye), and the interior controls are already too outdated (Civic-like interface).

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
Interestingly, this video tested Clarify fuel efficiency when run without plugging it in at all. The conclusion was that it delivered the same fuel efficiency as the Insight. Given this equivalence, it suggested buying the Clarity (instead of Insight) even if you don't plan to use the plug in charging feature.

It would lock the current rebate savings, plus offer future flex/potential for more savings if/when the car is used as a plug in hybrid in future... but I still just can't get past the Clarity's exterior look (ranks lower than Prius design in my eye), and the interior controls are already too outdated (Civic-like interface).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sajeIYZ_A-U
The 7 gallon fuel tank is a deal breaker for anyone without the means to plug it in. I agree, the body looks like something put together by the guys who did the Mad Max movies. The skirts are passe.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2020 Clarity Fuel Cell (hydrogen) model started arriving at California dealerships this week; only 12 dealerships are approved for distribution in California (6 in SoCal, 5 in Bay Area, 1 in Sacramento).

Improvements for the 2020 Fuel Cell over prior model year:
- Better audible alert system for pedestrian awareness
- Better cold-weather start-up --> ironic given this only carried in CA (?)

Exterior changes include:
- Heated side mirrors in black (vs body colored)
- Crimson Pearl (replacing Bordeaux Red)
- White exterior with brown interior standard

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-e5acc507e4de63e57f698856f5004d6a-honda-clarity-fuel-cell-gets-updates-for-2020

·
Registered
557 Posts
The 2020 Clarity Fuel Cell (hydrogen) model started arriving at California dealerships this week; only 12 dealerships are approved for distribution in California (6 in SoCal, 5 in Bay Area, 1 in Sacramento).

Improvements for the 2020 Fuel Cell over prior model year:
- Better audible alert system for pedestrian awareness
- Better cold-weather start-up --> ironic given this only carried in CA (?)

Exterior changes include:
- Heated side mirrors in black (vs body colored)
- Crimson Pearl (replacing Bordeaux Red)
- White exterior with brown interior standard

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-e5acc507e4de63e57f698856f5004d6a-honda-clarity-fuel-cell-gets-updates-for-2020
Interesting they claim that crimson Pearl is replacing the old red on the clarity. I'm going to have to call bulls**t on that. The color of red they used on the 2019 clarity is exactly the same as on my 2019 Honda insight. The color on the insight is crimson Pearl so the red may have been called something different on the clarity but it was DEFINITELY the same as the insight.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Interesting they claim that crimson Pearl is replacing the old red on the clarity. I'm going to have to call bulls**t on that. The color of red they used on the 2019 clarity is exactly the same as on my 2019 Honda insight. The color on the insight is crimson Pearl so the red may have been called something different on the clarity but it was DEFINITELY the same as the insight.
Probably the same red just pearl(2020 Clarity) vs metallic(2019 Clarity).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Probably the same red just pearl(2020 Clarity) vs metallic(2019 Clarity).
You could be right. I dare anyone from planet Earth to see the difference. 😜

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just searched Google for 2019 Honda Clarity colors and 2020 Clarity colors and the only red that is listed for both is Crimson pearl!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I just searched Google for 2019 Honda Clarity colors and 2020 Clarity colors and the only red that is listed for both is Crimson pearl!
You're confusing the 2019 Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid for the 2020 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell. Honda is treating them as different cars even though they're part of the same family. What was announced recently was the 2020 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell coming with the Crimson Pearl color. 2020 model year for the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid and Electric hasn't been announce yet.

If you look closely at the 3 different Clarity models. They all have slight different looks to them. Electric model doesn't have any open vents. The chrome grille bar is under the Honda logo on the fuel cell along with exclusive black roof. While the plug-in hybrid's chrome grille bar goes through the middle of the Honda logo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You're confusing the 2019 Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid for the 2020 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell. Honda is treating them as different cars even though they're part of the same family. What was announced recently was the 2020 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell coming with the Crimson Pearl color. 2020 model year for the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid and Electric hasn't been announce yet.

If you look closely at the 3 different Clarity models. They all have slight different looks to them. Electric model doesn't have any open vents. The chrome grille bar is under the Honda logo on the fuel cell along with exclusive black roof. While the plug-in hybrid's chrome grille bar goes through the middle of the Honda logo.
Got it! My mistake.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Dang it! I hate it when I'm wrong! Andrew! Stop making me wrong! 🤪
Got it! My mistake.
It's easy to get them confused. Probably one of the reasons why salespeople didn't promote the Clarity much. Just imagine trying to learn the differences between the 3 variants and having people come in asking you for a color that's only on the other variants.:surprise:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts