Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/cr-v

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-f14e4d95353ee177f9926a59c700267f-2020-honda-cr-v-americas-most-popular-cuv-gets-new-us-built-hybrid-electric-version-standard-honda-sensing-and-freshened-styling

Honda is bringing the Japanese/European CRV Hybrid to the US for early 2020! Looks like it will be using the Accord Hybrid's powertrain with added AWD capability(like the new AWD-Prius?). Since this is a mid-gen refresh for the CRV. Honda didn't fully redesign the car and just did slight modifications. You can see in the pictures that it's running the older infotainment software in the Clarity along with the Civic's older steering wheel.

I think I like the look of the European/Japanese CRV hybrid better. What do you guys think?

Edit: HondaProJason just posted up a video of it.

AWD comparison between the European CRV Hybrid and European Rav4 Hybrid

European CRV Hybrid & Rav4 Hybrid Review

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda should remove all the chrome and make it look less roundish on the front in my opinion.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honda is FINALLY releasing a hybrid version of the CRV for 2020! It uses the Honda Accord’s hybrid powertrain and promises a 50% increase in city mileage, which translates to about 44mpg, beating the RAV4!! Honda may have quite the winner here.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29094300/2020-honda-cr-v-hybrid-photos-info/
Bahhh! Right after I buy an Insight.. of course lol. I think ultimately a Hybrid CSUV is my choice in life right now, but i'll wait a few years with the Insight and make do for now.

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Executive Remarks from the 2020 Honda CR-V Debut
Honda took over as America's retail #1 passenger car brand in 2018 and this year we've picked up more share than any other mainstream brand, with nearly 20 percent of the retail market. Cars are still major volume players in our lineup, at around 47 percent of our mix.
And while minivans aren't the story of the day, as a former development leader for the Odyssey, I have to mention that the current Odyssey is now running at 43 percent of retail minivan sales. And it's on track to be the #1 minivan in America for the 10th straight year.
For the immediate future, however, we see hybrids as the best way to bring electrified powertrains further and more quickly into the mainstream and in the process, we are creating customers for the full-electric vehicles of the future.

• All CR-Vs also get design updates, including a new grille and new lighting designs for all trims, new projectors for LX, EX and EX-L, and new LED headlights and fog lights for Touring.
  • In back, smoked taillights, new darker chrome trim and a darker rear glass create a more sophisticated look. And Touring adds new dual chrome exhaust finishers as well.
  • For the hybrid, we have unique 5-lamp LED fog lights and a blue Honda logo, and in back we've got concealed exhaust finishers. And, of course, there's hybrid badging on the front quarters and tailgate.
  • For the Hybrid, there's an exclusive push-button gear selector, drive mode buttons, and steering wheel paddles to select regen braking levels and also a new driver's meter, and remote engine start for all trims.
  • Moving to the hybrid powertrain, CR-V gets the latest version of our two-motor system. It's very similar in design to the Accord Hybrid, with a 2.0-liter Atkinson cycle engine operating primarily as an electric generator with two motors, a generator motor, and a 181-horsepower drive motor.
  • Peak system output is 212 horsepower and 232 lb-ft of torque.
  • Additionally, it spends a relatively high amount of time in EV mode compared to the competition, adding to around-town efficiency.
  • It's also worth noting that this is our first Honda Hybrid with all-wheel-drive. In fact, all-wheel-drive will be standard on all hybrid trims.
  • Now, in terms of on-sale, the gas-powered model will launch this fall, and it will continue to be produced at four plants in North America, in Ohio, Indiana and Canada.
  • The new Hybrid will follow early next year, and pricing and EPA numbers for each will be coming out a little closer to launch.
  • One final piece of news, and this is especially timely, given that just last week we marked 40 years of building products in America.
  • Our new CR-V Hybrid for the U.S. market will be built exclusively at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana.
  • This will be our third U.S.-made hybrid, along with the two cars here in the room – Insight, also made in Indiana and Accord, from our Marysville Auto Plant.
  • Our Ohio transmission plant will supply the two-motor unit for CR-V, and the Anna Engine Plant will make its 2.0-liter engine.
  • As you can see, as we advance electrification through our core model lineup, so, too, are we advancing our ability to produce electrified vehicles and components at our plants here in America. And, this is key to the future of our electrification strategy.
EPA ratings aren't final, but we're expecting a substantial increase in efficiency over the gas model – almost 50% in the city. This will make the CR-V Hybrid the most refined, quickest off the line, and of course most fuel-efficient CR-V in our lineup.
So 39mpg city based on current non-turbo CRV and 42mpg city based on current turbo CRV city numbers? This will likely be the most popular version of the 2020 CRV. More torque, most fuel efficient, no worries about oil dilution, regenerative braking, less oil changes, EV mode, and AWD standard. Why would you buy the gas model?

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
The following comments have my interest:

"For the [CR-V] hybrid, we have unique 5-lamp LED fog lights and a blue Honda logo, and in back we've got concealed exhaust finishers. And, of course, there's hybrid badging on the front quarters and tailgate."
...so Honda is going to adopt Toyota's practice of using blue on logos to highlight hybrids.​

- Moving to the hybrid powertrain, CR-V gets the latest version of our two-motor system. It's very similar in design to the Accord Hybrid, with a 2.0-liter Atkinson cycle engine operating primarily as an electric generator with two motors, a generator motor, and a 181-horsepower drive motor.
...what's "new" in the latest version of the two-motor system?​

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The following comments have my interest:

"For the [CR-V] hybrid, we have unique 5-lamp LED fog lights and a blue Honda logo, and in back we've got concealed exhaust finishers. And, of course, there's hybrid badging on the front quarters and tailgate."
...so Honda is going to adopt Toyota's practice of using blue on logos to highlight hybrids.​
- Moving to the hybrid powertrain, CR-V gets the latest version of our two-motor system. It's very similar in design to the Accord Hybrid, with a 2.0-liter Atkinson cycle engine operating primarily as an electric generator with two motors, a generator motor, and a 181-horsepower drive motor.
It looks very similar to what @Insightful did to his front Honda emblem except Honda did the blue outline inside the H. :smile_big: The "new" is the AWD capability.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
It looks very similar to what @Insightful did to his front Honda emblem except Honda did the blue outline inside the H. :smile_big: The "new" is the AWD capability.
I like everything about the CRV Hybrid EXCEPT for the AWD. The extra friction of AWD isn’t worth the loss in gas mileage and extra cost/complexity. FWD has worked just fine for decades so I don’t get the sudden feeling of “needing” AWD.

I did read elsewhere that Honda is planning on switching all their cars to hybrid only in the near future so our Insight will lose its exclusivity later on. The 2020 Fit is apparently only a hybrid and uses Honda’s new smaller and cheaper 2 motor hybrid system, designed to work in smaller and cheaper models. Also, Honda recently introduced a hybrid scooter (not in US)...I was wondering when the hybrid idea would translate to 2 wheel use.

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
I did read elsewhere that Honda is planning on switching all their cars to hybrid only in the near future so our Insight will lose its exclusivity later on. The 2020 Fit is apparently only a hybrid and uses Honda’s new smaller and cheaper 2 motor hybrid system, designed to work in smaller and cheaper models. Also, Honda recently introduced a hybrid scooter (not in US)...I was wondering when the hybrid idea would translate to 2 wheel use.
My 'conspiracy' theory is that the Insight will be eliminated/re-branded as a Civic hybrid, rather than standing alone as a Gen4 Insight. Honda has openly stated plans to consolidate models and electrify 2/3 of their lineup by 2030. I think the 'short term' name of the Insight is why Honda isn't promoting the Insight as a model. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/17964-post13.html

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My 'conspiracy' theory is that the Insight will be eliminated/re-branded as a Civic hybrid, rather than standing alone as a Gen4 Insight. Honda has openly stated plans to consolidate models and electrify 2/3 of their lineup by 2030. I think the 'short term' name of the Insight is why Honda isn't promoting the Insight as a model. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/17964-post13.html
We might see a gen4 Insight as a full EV replacing the Clarity PHEV and EV. The Clarity was always designed as a fuel cell vehicle first including the current generation Clarity.
I like everything about the CRV Hybrid EXCEPT for the AWD. The extra friction of AWD isn’t worth the loss in gas mileage and extra cost/complexity. FWD has worked just fine for decades so I don’t get the sudden feeling of “needing” AWD.
The new Prius AWD-e adds an electric motor to drive the rear wheels for better initial traction between 0 and 6 mph and re-engages when front tire slippage is detected at speeds up to 43 mph. If you live in an area that has snowy or icy roads during the winter, the AWD-e could provide extra traction. Fuel economy suffers only slightly with the Prius AWD-e.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41162&id=41161

If it works like the new Prius AWD-e. Fuel economy isn't impacted much.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We might see a gen4 Insight as a full EV replacing the Clarity PHEV and EV. The Clarity was always designed as a fuel cell vehicle first including the current generation Clarity.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41162&id=41161

If it works like the new Prius AWD-e. Fuel economy isn't impacted much.
It’s still an unneeded extra electric motor, adding weight, cost and complexity to the car with little added benefit. AWD can’t make up for skillless driving. A good set of all season or snow tires negates any need for AWD but people somehow have been convinced they need it. Living in Florida, I have no need for AWD and would rather save the extra $1200-2000 that most automakers charge for AWD.

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s still an unneeded extra electric motor, adding weight, cost and complexity to the car with little added benefit. AWD can’t make up for skillless driving. A good set of all season or snow tires negates any need for AWD but people somehow have been convinced they need it. Living in Florida, I have no need for AWD and would rather save the extra $1200-2000 that most automakers charge for AWD.
I agree, I do fine in New England winter on just FWD/All-season tires by using my brain. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
Found a description on TFLcar comparing the CR-V hybrid powertrain to the RAV4 hybrid:
"Honda uses new and old tech. Most of the [CR-V] hybrid system, along with the 2.0-liter gas engine come directly out of the Honda Accord hybrid. What makes it different is the addition of a prop shaft that takes the power to a rear axle that feeds the rear wheels. From the transmission back, it’s all mechanical."

"The Toyota RAV4 (around since 2013) has a totally different AWD system. It uses electric motors to power the rear wheels when needed. There is no rear axle, there is no driveshaft either. On dirt and driving through difficult traction situations, the AWD system works quite well. No so much when pushing up hills off-road."

Also, a comparison of powertrain specs and dimensions from AutoBlog:
The upcoming 202 CR-V hybrid 2020 Ford Escape hybrid "represent a significant increase in the number of compact crossover hybrids, as the current total is one: the 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. The old Nissan Rogue Hybrid has been discontinued, leaving the subcompact Kia Niro Hybrid as the only other vehicle in the ballpark."

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
It will also be interesting to see whether Honda adjusts its production/sourcing strategy for hybrids. The European CR-V hybrid is made in Japan, but the US CR-V hybrid will be made in the US.

I'd like to see if their production strategy consolidates, similar to the way the Insight is single-sourced from the US and parallel to their plans for fewer global platforms and models.

Perhaps it will depend on volume by model, but following the Insight model, I could see Honda plants becoming dedicated to producing more limited models, then shipping globally (vs regionally)...

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It will also be interesting to see whether Honda adjusts its production/sourcing strategy for hybrids. The European CR-V hybrid is made in Japan, but the US CR-V hybrid will be made in the US.

I'd like to see if their production strategy consolidates, similar to the way the Insight is single-sourced from the US and parallel to their plans for fewer global platforms and models.

Perhaps it will depend on volume by model, but following the Insight model, I could see Honda plants becoming dedicated to producing more limited models, then shipping globally (vs regionally)...
https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/honda-plant-closings-shift-work-north-america
I think consolidation has already started with the phasing out of factories in UK and Turkey plus 1 in Japan.

Honda also will consolidate production of electrified vehicles into global hubs, including Japan and China, as it gears up to derive two-thirds of its total sales from electrified vehicles by 2030.
“We have decided to carry out this production realignment in Europe in light of our efforts to optimize production allocation and production capacity globally, as well as accelerating electrification,” Hachigo said.

In October 2017, Honda said it would shutter a Japanese assembly plant as it shifts manufacturing know-how toward electrified vehicles.
It said the aging Sayama plant will wind down by March 31, 2022, and consolidate operations around the nearby Yorii plant, one of the automaker’s newest.

Yorii, which opened in 2013, will be positioned as a worldwide center for developing cutting-edge manufacturing technologies as well as techniques for producing electrified vehicles.
“We will create electrification technologies at our Yorii plant and will introduce such technologies horizontally in the U.S., Japan and China, where we can expect sales volume,” Hachigo said. “Then we will utilize those technologies on a global basis.”

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have family friends that have been waiting for a CR-V hybrid and they currently have a 2015 CR-V EX-L.

I just wonder why Honda is not installing the latest version of their Display Audio system? Like the system in the 2019 Insight and Accords.

Rich

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
I have family friends that have been waiting for a CR-V hybrid and they currently have a 2015 CR-V EX-L.

I just wonder why Honda is not installing the latest version of their Display Audio system? Like the system in the 2019 Insight and Accords.
Agree! The CR-V hybrid's display audio AND the driver's information interface looks so old/awful, stuck back in time with the GenX Civic. I'm so glad we have a better interface on the Gen3 Insight.

Honda must be waiting for major refresh of the CR-V to upgrade, but they're missing out on making a good first impression in the US with the CR-V hybrid. But given the amount of US interest in a CR-V hybrid, maybe they don't need to try very hard to make the car appealing right now...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts