Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Preview of the Honda E and a glimpse at what future Honda EVs could be like. It appears Honda will continue to build upon the user interface currently inside the Accord & Insight. I like the attention to detail Honda puts into the cars they make and the Honda E is no exception. :smile:

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's just really really depressing that they have decided the car isn't going to North America. I'd totally own one as a second vehicle with the Insight.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just really really depressing that they have decided the car isn't going to North America. I'd totally own one as a second vehicle with the Insight.
I have read it has to do with no actual side mirrors. Government regulation doesn't allow a camera based system as a side mirror replacement yet.

I think it's depressing I can't easily order 90% if the electric cars because I'm not in a state they will sell it in😟
I don't think dealerships want EVs to become mainstream since it will affect how they will do business. Dealerships make most of their profits in service & parts. EVs don't require regular fluid changes or have as many parts that could possibly fail. Wouldn't surprise me if dealerships are lobbying automakers to slow down the introduction of EVs or limit them to CARB/ZEV states.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I know in the case of this car, Honda has stated that the "range" wasn't great enough to entice buyers in North America. I don't know about all of you, but having this car as a daily work commute car works for me. Allowing less miles on the Insight, and further reducing our households reliance on Gasoline. I would absolutely love to put one of these in our stable.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ironically lately in NY, capitol district area, I've been seeing more Clarities. To be fair, they do stand out more than the Insight.

I'm super bummed that the Honda E isn't destined for the US market, I'd seriously consider that as our second vehicle, when we get to that point, it'd be perfect for me.
We might get the sport version of the E here. https://carbuzz.com/news/there-s-good-news-for-american-honda-e-prototype-fans :wink:

Perhaps I'm being over sensitive about this, but the $7500 tax credit is really not very helpful to the average consumer and it always annoys me when car sellers mention this like you're going to get it. I looked into these tax credits and they really only tend to work well for people who have large tax rates to pay. Small business owners and people with a lot of sold investments ECT. For someone like me with a standard basic income, i only qualify for about $500 in tax credit of the $7500 offered. Just seems kind of disengenuous to me. Sorry to rant, it just ticks me off when people list this as money you'll get back when a lot of us won't qualify for a fraction of it. 😟
You can also wait for a leasing promotion where the automaker is willing to pass a partial or full credit to you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
We might get the sport version of the E here. https://carbuzz.com/news/there-s-good-news-for-american-honda-e-prototype-fans :wink:

You can also wait for a leasing promotion where the automaker is willing to pass a partial or full credit to you.

Big issue is that it wouldn't pass our outdated automotive mirror standards. All cars currently must be built with a minimum of rear view and at least 1 side view mirror, although I do believe they updated that minimum to two.

There is no regulations allowing the replacement of mirrors with cameras.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big issue is that it wouldn't pass our outdated automotive mirror standards. All cars currently must be built with a minimum of rear view and at least 1 side view mirror, although I do believe they updated that minimum to two.

I assume automakers will lobby to make the change during the next few years. Tesla is already allowing reservations on their roadster which doesn't have side mirrors either.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-auto-mirrorless/u-s-to-test-mirrorless-camera-based-systems-in-autos-idUSKCN1VH2G9
NHTSA confirmed to start testing camera based side mirrors earlier this week.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
'Word on the street' (from Jalopnik interview of Honda project leader) is that the US was originally in-scope for Honda E launch, but was cut from launch plans 3 years ago due to projected lack of US demand. However the US media attention over European launch may drive Honda to reconsider...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-e-electric-car-us-market-demand/
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1125676_honda-s-retro-styled-e-was-originally-planned-for-the-us
https://jalopnik.com/the-honda-e-was-originally-planned-for-the-united-state-1839277601

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Word on the street' (from Jalopnik interview of Honda project leader) is that the US was originally in-scope for Honda E launch, but was cut from launch plans 3 years ago due to projected lack of US demand. However the US media attention over European launch may drive Honda to reconsider...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-e-electric-car-us-market-demand/
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1125676_honda-s-retro-styled-e-was-originally-planned-for-the-us
https://jalopnik.com/the-honda-e-was-originally-planned-for-the-united-state-1839277601
I think the problem will be the price. Once you go above $30k I would rather get a Model 3 for the SuperCharger access and OTA updates.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I think the problem will be the price. Once you go above $30k I would rather get a Model 3 for the SuperCharger access and OTA updates.
One article mentioned that the low demand was perceived from the car being 'too small' for US needs. I think launching the Fit Hybrid in the US will give Honda an initial read on interest and whether/when to consider reversing the decision to exclude the E from the US market.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It has to be less priced then a Tesla Model 3 for Americans to buy. Our Insight Touring trim is $30k after taxes

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
It has to be less priced then a Tesla Model 3 for Americans to buy. Our Insight Touring trim is $30k after taxes
Maybe the plan to launch the Honda E outside of US first will help with this then. In theory, higher volume = lower price, so if Honda can gain momentum/sales/interest, it should hopefully lower the cost once offered in US. We'll see...

The current starting price for the Honda E is 33850 EUR (37508 USD).

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
One can haggle when purchasing a Honda Insight. I don't believe anyone (in their right mind) would pay the sticker price. There is no haggling with buying a Tesla. Ergo, the gap is even larger.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The E-cars future looks great. I'll get one and trade in my Insight if it's fun to drive...ie Sport mode.

I just drove my friends 2019 "base"VW GTI (DSG transmission ~$23k). That car is 1000x more fun then my Insight Touring trim. Too bad it only gets 25mpg...lolol

·
Registered
71 Posts
One can haggle when purchasing a Honda Insight. I don't believe anyone (in their right mind) would pay the sticker price. There is no haggling with buying a Tesla. Ergo, the gap is even larger.
it's tough to haggle down the price of a Tesla. However, it's possible to haggle to get options for free. Sometimes you have to pay more to get free stuff,

Example 1. Get free stuff you didn't want to pay for (analogous to buying a base Insight LX and getting optional 17 inch wheels for free).

Buyer: I want to buy a White model 3 SR+ with 18" wheels.
Sales Advisor: I've located a white Model 3 SR+ with 19" wheels and it's available for your pickups in 2 days.
Buyer: I really just wanted the 18" wheels. they are cheaper and more aerodynamic.
Sales Advisor: I think I can get the 19" wheels comped.
Buyer: I'll take it case they look awesome!

Example 2. Paying more to get a higher trim car but the higher trim car came with upgrades for free. (analogous to buying an Insight LX but you end up paying for an EX and them throwing in the upgraded 17" wheels and Sport Black styling package for free).

Buyer: Places order for a Model 3 LR AWD with 18" wheels white paint (included free paint color & free wheel size).
Sales Advisor: Calls buyer on the phone... a truck came in today and it's got some Model 3 Performance sleepers (P3-) on it if your'e interested.
Buyer: REally? but that will cost me more (it's higher base price than a Long Range AWD).
SA: Well.. they will cost more but it's also got a lot more performance. They have a red one (+$2000 option).
Buyer: it's still more money, it's not what I'm looking for.
SA: It's also got a white interior ($1000 option).
Buyer: but that all costs more too.
SA: I can comp you the red paint and the white interior.
Buyer: I think I like Blue better.
SA: hey we have a blue one phoenix with white interior. We can ship the car over to San Diego.
Buyer: that's sounds great. no charge on shipping? I'll buy it.
SA: No charge. I'll send you a confirmation and paperwork immediately.
Buyer: Grinning.... my P3- will smoke anything on the road except for a Model S ludicrous and I got it for a bargain.. yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so the buyer had to spend an extra 2 or 3k for a faster car, but got paint and interior upgrades for free....

personally, I got a free wheel upgrade with Tesla.

now the problem with Honda and many other car dealers is that it will come with dealer installed junk. Paint protection door strips, tinted windows, anti rust coating... non-factor junk the dealer installs and trys to get you to pay for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
it's tough to haggle down the price of a Tesla. However, it's possible to haggle to get options for free. Sometimes you have to pay more to get free stuff,

Example 1. Get free stuff you didn't want to pay for (analogous to buying a base Insight LX and getting optional 17 inch wheels for free).

Buyer: I want to buy a White model 3 SR+ with 18" wheels.
Sales Advisor: I've located a white Model 3 SR+ with 19" wheels and it's available for your pickups in 2 days.
Buyer: I really just wanted the 18" wheels. they are cheaper and more aerodynamic.
Sales Advisor: I think I can get the 19" wheels comped.
Buyer: I'll take it case they look awesome!

Example 2. Paying more to get a higher trim car but the higher trim car came with upgrades for free. (analogous to buying an Insight LX but you end up paying for an EX and them throwing in the upgraded 17" wheels and Sport Black styling package for free).

Buyer: Places order for a Model 3 LR AWD with 18" wheels white paint (included free paint color & free wheel size).
Sales Advisor: Calls buyer on the phone... a truck came in today and it's got some Model 3 Performance sleepers (P3-) on it if your'e interested.
Buyer: REally? but that will cost me more (it's higher base price than a Long Range AWD).
SA: Well.. they will cost more but it's also got a lot more performance. They have a red one (+$2000 option).
Buyer: it's still more money, it's not what I'm looking for.
SA: It's also got a white interior ($1000 option).
Buyer: but that all costs more too.
SA: I can comp you the red paint and the white interior.
Buyer: I think I like Blue better.
SA: hey we have a blue one phoenix with white interior. We can ship the car over to San Diego.
Buyer: that's sounds great. no charge on shipping? I'll buy it.
SA: No charge. I'll send you a confirmation and paperwork immediately.
Buyer: Grinning.... my P3- will smoke anything on the road except for a Model S ludicrous and I got it for a bargain.. yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so the buyer had to spend an extra 2 or 3k for a faster car, but got paint and interior upgrades for free....

personally, I got a free wheel upgrade with Tesla.

now the problem with Honda and many other car dealers is that it will come with dealer installed junk. Paint protection door strips, tinted windows, anti rust coating... non-factor junk the dealer installs and trys to get you to pay for it.
I tried trading in my June 2019 Model 3 Long Range RWD (single motor) with 20k miles for a faster 2020 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor.

No freebies this time around. No free paint or tire upgrades. My friend took delivery of a Model 3 dual motor before Christmas and she got a free die cast model worth $150... But hardly the same as a $1500 tire upgrades in the past. Demand is high and they can't crank out cars fast enough, so no more freebies from Tesla.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I tried trading in my June 2019 Model 3 Long Range RWD (single motor) with 20k miles for a faster 2020 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor.

No freebies this time around. No free paint or tire upgrades. My friend took delivery of a Model 3 dual motor before Christmas and she got a free die cast model worth $150... But hardly the same as a $1500 tire upgrades in the past. Demand is high and they can't crank out cars fast enough, so no more freebies from Tesla.
By 'tried'... does that mean you still own your 2019 Model 3 Long Range RWD?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts