Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bjorn has been reviewing the Honda e. Though I haven't watched all his vids, I'll point out a few things that Honda did that are pretty awesome for electric cars.

1. Park Assist

2. 1500 W outlet - this is a first for a electric car, but the Rivian and Cybertruck will have this.

Then powers a microwave with it here

3. Mirrorless side mirrors are very cool... But don't think they are yet legal in the US. The video rear view mirror is very cool.

His first video withn some intros

·
Super Moderator
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think Honda is really capable of making a decent electric car but the execs don't have the same desire to make it happen. I remember reading an article awhile back from a Honda engineer working on the E how the higher ups wanted to kill the project.

·
Super Moderator
3,918 Posts
I think Honda is really capable of making a decent electric car but the execs don't have the same desire to make it happen. I remember reading an article awhile back from a Honda engineer working on the E how the higher ups wanted to kill the project.
Maybe one of these articles:
Development team had to overcome opposition from company management for production - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/why-honda-bosses-werent-convinced-about-e-prototype:
“The biggest battle was internal, where the team decided to actually develop a small-size electric vehicle, which everybody else in the company was against. To get that through was probably the toughest battle.”

Plug was pulled 3 years ago on US, from post #10 - https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-e-electric-car-us-market-demand/:
Kohei Hitomi, who oversaw the Honda E's development, told Jalopnik at the Tokyo Motor Show this week that the electric car was meant for sale in the US when work began on the vehicle. Along the way, however, the automaker feared low demand would result in disaster. Executives pulled the plug on the cutesy electric hatchback three years ago, according to Hitomi's timeline.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kohei Hitomi, who oversaw the Honda E's development, told Jalopnik at the Tokyo Motor Show this week that the electric car was meant for sale in the US when work began on the vehicle. Along the way, however, the automaker feared low demand would result in disaster. Executives pulled the plug on the cutesy electric hatchback three years ago, according to Hitomi's timeline.
All that is going to change.
The only question is when?

·
Registered
203 Posts
That Honda-E needs bigger capacity batteries. Minium 400miles/charge for such compact car. Makes sense. The technology of batteries is skyrocketing. So put it in Honda!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Watching Bjorn's videos and reading the autocar article above, I don't think larger battery is feasible for the Honda e. The car is small and packed with stuff. It's so packed it doesn't even have a frunk and it has that silly ugly Leaf style charge port in the hood.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts