Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a 10th gen Accord tonight which I originally thought was an Insight from far away. Normally I can identify a 10th gen Accord easily by the lobster claw tail lights during the day. Was curious why the whole lobster claw wasn't illuminated instead of just the bottom half. Did some googling/youtubing and found out that the upper left & right half of the claw portion is fake unless you buy the Touring trim, lol.

I would had been upset if Honda cheaped out on the Insight LX, EX like that. :plain:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I'm picky about exterior lights so while shopping for a new Honda, and include info on what a car behind me sees as part of my purchase decision. The salesperson I worked with powered up cars in the showroom while I stood behind them as brake lights and turn signals were activated for each model.

On the Accord, ALL Canadian trim levels get the LED trunk light, but only the Touring trim in the US gets it. It's like Honda was going after the "BMW 3-Series" look for the US Accord, where only the bottom half of lights are seen at night.

On the Insight, I liked that the rear lights were LED, but had hoped the entire LED portion (vs outside section) would be used when brakes are activated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Insight, I liked that the rear lights were LED, but had hoped the entire LED portion (vs outside section) would be used when brakes are activated.
Wouldn't they have to put the reverse light somewhere else if the inner portion also lit up as the brake light?

On the Accord, ALL Canadian trim levels get the LED trunk light, but only the Touring trim in the US gets it. It's like Honda was going after the "BMW 3-Series" look for the US Accord, where only the bottom half of lights are seen at night.
I think this was just some bean counters at Honda that decided it was a good idea to save some money. The youtuber mentioned it cost $140 for the OEM Accord Touring tail light assembly on each side cause you know Honda doesn't allow you to add an LED bulb... :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Wouldn't they have to put the reverse light somewhere else if the inner portion also lit up as the brake light?
I had hoped/expected the entire perimeter of LED lights would activate, rather than just the center of the outer section.

I think this was just some bean counters at Honda that decided it was a good idea to save some money. The youtuber mentioned it cost $140 for the OEM Accord Touring tail light assembly on each side cause you know Honda doesn't allow you to add an LED bulb...
...and this is the "cheap" version of replacing LED lights on modern Hondas. The headlight LEDs can't be changed individually either without replacing the whole assembly; headlight LED assembly runs $1k+ each.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had hoped/expected the entire perimeter of LED lights would activate, rather than just the center of the outer section.

...and this is the "cheap" version of replacing LED lights on modern Hondas. The headlight LEDs can't be changed individually either without replacing the whole assembly; headlight LED assembly runs $1k+ each.
I hope the daytime running lights and the low beams don't go out at different times either. I use the DRLs more than the low beams since I have been driving mostly during the day.

Are you referring to the area I highlighted in green?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Are you referring to the area I highlighted in green?
Nope - was referring to the full perimeter outline of existing LEDs (1st/2nd/4th pictures from top). Before shopping, I assumed these would ALL get brighter when the brake pedal was activated. I like the look of center brake lights (old school) and I think it's safer/easier for drivers behind me to see. I'd still like for the full LED to activate when braking; maybe there's a wiring change that would do it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope - was referring to the full perimeter outline of existing LEDs (1st/2nd/4th pictures from top). Before shopping, I assumed these would ALL get brighter when the brake pedal was activated. I like the look of center brake lights (old school) and I think it's safer/easier for drivers behind me to see. I'd still like for the full LED to activate when braking; maybe there's a wiring change that would do it.
Took me awhile to see what you're talking about. I think you're saying that you want to see the full wing design tail light to brighten up when the brake pedal is pushed instead of just the current brake light to come on.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Took me awhile to see what you're talking about. I think you're saying that you want to see the full wing design tail light to brighten up when the brake pedal is pushed instead of just the current brake light to come on.
2012+ Kia Optima's offer full LED illumination when brake pedal is activated (sample attached). I expected similar (or better) from Honda's execution...

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I too was disappointed that the LED tube taillights don’t brighten when the brakes are engaged. In fact, I thought the brake light was a regular bulb until I looked at it real closely. It’s not a very convincing LED brake light and it’s not all that bright. Audi and Hyundai use similar tube LED taillight designs but theirs brighten as well as add extra LEDs when the brakes are pressed. My mom’s 2015 Sonata 2.0T Ultimate has truly blinding brake lights that you could never claim not to see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm picky about exterior lights so while shopping for a new Honda, and include info on what a car behind me sees as part of my purchase decision. The salesperson I worked with powered up cars in the showroom while I stood behind them as brake lights and turn signals were activated for each model.

It isn't only Honda that is cheaping out on the US market relative to Canada. In Canada you can get a mid-range Subaru Crosstrek with cloth seats with the good directional headlights; in the US you have to get the top-of-the-line leather upholstered model for those headlights. I suppose the Canadians have stricter headlight and taillight regulations in general? I know that's how daytime running lights became a widespread thing in the US, just to share components with Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It isn't only Honda that is cheaping out on the US market relative to Canada. In Canada you can get a mid-range Subaru Crosstrek with cloth seats with the good directional headlights; in the US you have to get the top-of-the-line leather upholstered model for those headlights. I suppose the Canadians have stricter headlight and taillight regulations in general? I know that's how daytime running lights became a widespread thing in the US, just to share components with Canada.
I have said this before in other threads but I'm grateful Honda didn't cheap out on the headlights for the Insight. They actually gave good headlights(as rated by iihs) for all 3 trims as standard. I need good headlights during the winter due to snow and the fact it gets dark around 4pm.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts