Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the big questions we had before buying our 2019 Honda Insight was whether there was going to be a severe MPG and battery hit because our driving is virtually entirely running errands around town.

Mrs. Money Penny and I do very little driving. After our hectic lives working for Her Majesty's Secret Service, we've settled into a quiet little domestic life, gardening, knitting, stargazing, etc. We mostly pickup groceries, drop off mail, go to the local bird-feed & accessories store, sometimes visit local parks, or go to dentist and doctor appointments. Our drives are all short ones, with speed limits generally topping out at 45 mph, but often lower. We've put only 2,200 miles on the Insight in 2 1/3 years of driving! While some of that is because of being shut-in during the pandemic, we never drove that much before it hit. Everything we want and enjoy is close by.

Before buying the Insight, I contacted Honda National about whether we were going to suffer the problem our old Honda Accord had where the 12-volt battery would lost its juice because the car typically sat in our garage most days. There were several times we had to jump-start it. We also had to replace it prematurely.

I also wanted to find out what type of MPG we might expect given mostly local driving. Surprisingly, Honda punted and said "Contact your local dealer for such information!. I thought that was a dereliction of duty -- and not a good way to promote the Insight. Our dealer had only recently gotten the Insight in, so they didn't have much information, either.

We were also concerned about what type of MPG we'd get given that our drives are usually no more than 4 or 5 miles, one way, 8-10 roundtrip. In other words, short, and the Insight hardly ever gets warmed up! Plus, the weather is often quite cold where we live. All of that meant we might not get that much benefit from the hybrid! We knew we'd get more MPG than our MI-5/MI-6-issued Aston Martins, but how much more was an open-ended question.

So, I'm here to report on whether the Insight makes sense for the couple, family, 1st or 2nd car, that is relegated to in-town, limited drives. The information could help retired couples, those who want a car for mostly around-town driving, or are going to use it for short commutes to work and back.

First of all, we love the car! It's the favorite one of all the ones we've ever owned or driven. It's comfortable; quiet; and a pleasure to drive. We feel good every time we're in it, and love to see that EV green indicator come on.

Second, we absolutely enjoy seeing high MPGs even on our short trips, especially during warmer weather. As expected, our miles per gallon is, naturally, better in the summer than the winter, and better when the tire pressure is up to specs. I actually have data on all that. But rather than get bogged in the details (in other words, right now, it's hot and I'm being lazy and not digging up my spreadsheet data!), I can report on what our 2+ years of around town driving has produced.

Third, our overall MPG is currently just under 50! We're thrilled, given that our previous Honda Accord under similar driving conditions was coming in at under 19 MPG. For sure, that doesn't compare to those of you who run the Insight normally, getting it warmed up, driving decent commutes, taking highway trips, etc. and live in warm climes, but it does provide a baseline for those who do only limited driving and mostly for errands. Oh, besides appointments, groceries, and errands, we have had to visit the gasoline station every 4 or 5 months! In fact, we've filled the car up a whopping grand total of 6 times in 2 1/3 years.

We've had absolutely no problems with the battery or, rather, batteries. We've gone through the two or three recalls and our dealership did the fixes quickly and well.

Bottom line about the Insight and in-town driving: Solid MPG, no battery issues at all, and wonderful to drive. Great car! If anyone is on the fence about getting an Insight because they don't drive all that much, we can tell you that the car does well in such conditions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well I thought I was one of the lowest kilometre ( mileage) owners but you have me beat. I‘ve had my touring since March 2019 and just turned 6200 kilometres. ( roughly 3900 miles). Like you I use it mostly for driving around town and doing errands. During the winters up here in Ontario it doesn’t see much road time so it spends its’ time in the garage.
I really enjoy the car and its’ appearance and it seems to be a rare thing up here only seeing two others since owning it. I never kept track of how many times I’ve filled it up but it can’t be more than 10. I have also been lucky in that it has never been to the dealer except for two oil changes ( both were free) and the BCM update.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Really enjoyed the reads, good to see happy hybridders!
and J; J Bond, I assume, in their stealthy Hondas.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad to read there were no battery problems with such little use! I like to think of the Insight as an electric car with its own on board gasoline powered generator.

For the above conditions I would think that a plug-in low range (say 30 miles+) electric car connected to a wind or solar powered electric generator would be even better mpg. And could provide some supplemental power if attached to ones' residence as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hybrids are most efficient in stop and go traffic when the regen and electric mode benefit the most
At highway speeds or very cold, the ice needs to run constantly.
The other factor is cost/benefit based on km/year
So if you pay an extra 5,000 for a hybrid which saves you $500 per year in gas, and drive it for 10 years you break even.
That is why so many taxis are hybrid these days, they can be driven 24 hours a day, tens of thousands of km every year, in stop and go traffic.
So 1000 km per year at 5 l/100km is 50l per year, say $75 year.
A nonHybrid at 10l/100km would be double,
So if you save $75 year in gas, after 10 years you would save$750
So maybe not the best savings for the extra cost

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my Accord Hybrid certified used about $10-12k less than a new one so I did not think about cost vs a gas one. But even new, this Touring Hybrid is priced less the 2.0T gas Accord Touring. I like the torque, mpg, drive system and the Touring features. No, it may not be a long term car for me but it's one of the best cars in it's segment, hybrid or not. Can't wait to see what Honda brings in the electrified near future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
glad to hear other mature drivers like my husband and I driving in town most of the time. My game when driving is to watch the EV pop on and how long can I go before gas is needed. My average hete in Memphis in a Touring model is right at 50 mpg. I've had several drives where I hit 60 mpg. It takes little to keep me excited about driving a hybrid. It sees a little highway most weeks and does great even on those days. We went on a 30 day vacation before the pandemic and car started right up when we got home. i also love people looking around when I'm in a parking lot on EV and the little song is playing to announce me coming. They don't ever realize where the music is coming from.

·
Registered
382 Posts
glad to hear other mature drivers like my husband and I driving in town most of the time. My game when driving is to watch the EV pop on and how long can I go before gas is needed. My average hete in Memphis in a Touring model is right at 50 mpg. I've had several drives where I hit 60 mpg. It takes little to keep me excited about driving a hybrid. It sees a little highway most weeks and does great even on those days. We went on a 30 day vacation before the pandemic and car started right up when we got home. i also love people looking around when I'm in a parking lot on EV and the little song is playing to announce me coming. They don't ever realize where the music is coming from.
At 50 mpg you have better mpg than the average of 47.5 mpg at fuelly.com ! A tip that may(?) improve your mpg game score would be to give the left paddle shifter a flick or two when wanting to slow the car, just prior to applying the brakes. This might give you a little more time with the EV light on.

I was driving through Cape Arago State Park. A couple with their two dogs was walking down the middle of the roadway. I slowed down to their pace. They didn't know I was there. So I creeped up closer. One of them turned their head and was shocked at the cars presence. They moved off to the side of the road. As I passed they told me my hybrid was in electric mode and they couldn't hear the cars presence. Little did they know they were walking too fast for the "little song" mentioned above. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
They moved off to the side of the road. As I passed they told me my hybrid was in electric mode and they couldn't hear the cars presence. Little did they know they were walking too fast for the "little song" mentioned above. :)
I think this might be why Honda changed how loud the sound is played on the 2021 Insight. A few weeks ago I turned into a quiet residential street where someone was walking down the middle of the road while looking at their phone. He never heard my car moving towards him. I stopped a couple feet in front of him and had to honk to get his attention. Dude literally jumped and was surprise he was walking into a vehicle. 😁

1 - 9 of 9 Posts