Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda has been curtailing U.S. production of the Accord and Civic since April 2019, citing sedan demand being lower than SUV demand. But newer news is that they're using the downtime to retool equipment and processes to produce more battery and electric hybrids. This parallels Honda's goal for electrified vehicles being 2/3 of global sales by 2030.

Production Cuts - https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/08/fewer-honda-sedans-emerging-from-midwest-after-production-cut/
Updates for Electrification - https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-dials-back-accord-civic-production-shifting-demand/

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,061 Posts
Unfortunately, there is very little forward thinking in the market. People are clamouring for SUVs and crossovers. Just wait for gas to spike again, and they'll be looking to dump them for something more efficient. I could never understand the draw of big SUVs. They cost more to maintain, suck huge amounts of fuel, and normally only have one person on-board. I'll stick with my 10,000-mile oil changes and 20 dollar fill-ups, thank-you-very-much.

I'm surprised to hear about the lower demand for Civics. That's the model I most come across in the wild.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Unfortunately, there is very little forward thinking in the market. People are clamouring for SUVs and crossovers. Just wait for gas to spike again, and they'll be looking to dump them for something more efficient. I could never understand the draw of big SUVs. They cost more to maintain, suck huge amounts of fuel, and normally only have one person on-board. I'll stick with my 10,000-mile oil changes and 20 dollar fill-ups, thank-you-very-much.

I'm surprised to hear about the lower demand for Civics. That's the model I most come across in the wild.
The Civic outsold the CRV for a few months earlier this year. It's just not selling as much as in previous years.

SUVs are popular for the higher driving position, lack of needing to step down, bend, and lift things into the trunk. At least that's the only thing I feel like I'm missing when comparing the Insight to my CRV(It belongs to my Aunt now but I can borrow it whenever I like :D).

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So... it looks like some of the 'downtime for electrification' Honda took earlier/above includes a $4 million investment for a line that will be dedicated to CR-V Hybrid production. The CR-V Hybrid for the U.S. market will be built in Greensburg, Indiana, alongside current existing Civic, CR-V (non-hybrid) and Insight production.

The CR-V Hybrid's supply plan sounds similar to that of the Insight - with the CR-V Hybrid's "transmission" (2-motor power system) being supplied from the Honda transmission plant in nearby Russells Point, OH, and the 2.0L 4-cylinder gas engine from the Honda plant in Anna, OH.

Interestingly (?) the article mentions that this new production line in Greensburg will only add 34 new jobs to the plant (so 1 production line = 34 people = +1% of current ~2500 person staff).

https://www.ibj.com/articles/honda-will-invest-4-2m-add-34-jobs-to-produce-hybrid-cr-v-in-greensburg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts