Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our insight was purchased as CPO (Certified pre-owned) which extends the bumper to bumper to 48 months/48,000 miles, and the powertrain warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles.

If I purchase HondaCare, it will extend me up to 8 years/120,000 miles bumper to bumper. HondaCare quoted price from Hyannis Honda will be $1135.00

I'm trying to decide if given the better warranty already provided by the CPO, is it a wise investment to spend $1135 for the HondaCare?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Our insight was purchased as CPO (Certified pre-owned) which extends the bumper to bumper to 48 months/48,000 miles, and the powertrain warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles.

If I purchase HondaCare, it will extend me up to 8 years/120,000 miles bumper to bumper. HondaCare quoted price from Hyannis Honda will be $1135.00

I'm trying to decide if given the better warranty already provided by the CPO, is it a wise investment to spend $1135 for the HondaCare?
What state do you live in? You might be eligible for the CA extended emissions warranty.

• 4 years/72,000 miles bumper to bumper (18,000 miles/year and about $283.75/year based on $1135 total cost)
  • 1 year/20,000 miles powertrain
If you buy the 8 years/120,000 miles majority of that money is spent on the bumper to bumper after your CPO warranty expires.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
How many miles were on your CPO car when you purchased? Do you own a 2019 or 2020 model?

Honda CPO mentions:
- powertrain limited warranty = 7-Year/100,000-miles
- non-powertrain warranty = 5 years from first in-service date/86,000 miles total on car
- roadside assistance for duration of limited warranty
- up to two complimentary oil changes in the first year of ownership
- eligible for HondaCare coverage
- Sirius XM 90 day trial

That's the main difference/risk from others of us who purchased new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car is a 2019, and had 3400 miles at time of purchase. I reside in indiana.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
The state where the Insight is made. :) Indiana doesn't follow California's strict emissions rules so it isn't one of the states eligible for the extended emissions warranty.
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
To estimate how 'hard' the car was driven before you bought it - when was the car built (see MM/YY in upper corner of sticker at bottom of driver's door jamb), and when did you buy the car (MM/YY)?

Overall, 3400 miles seems relatively low for a 2019 Insight. I personally don't think I'd opt for Honda Care, given the low mileage conditions and the Honda CPO Warranty.

As a Honda Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, you get a limited warranty in addition to and separate from all other Honda limited warranties in effect, and starts only when the existing New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires. - https://www.hondacertified.com/-/media/HondaCertified/PDF/certified-preowned-benefits/Honda-Certified-Pre-Owned-Vehicles-Warranty-Booklet.ashx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To estimate how 'hard' the car was driven before you bought it - when was the car built (see MM/YY in upper corner of sticker at bottom of driver's door jamb), and when did you buy the car (MM/YY)?

Overall, 3400 miles seems relatively low for a 2019 Insight. I personally don't think I'd opt for Honda Care, given the low mileage conditions and the Honda CPO Warranty.

As a Honda Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, you get a limited warranty in addition to and separate from all other Honda limited warranties in effect, and starts only when the existing New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires. - https://www.hondacertified.com/-/media/HondaCertified/PDF/certified-preowned-benefits/Honda-Certified-Pre-Owned-Vehicles-Warranty-Booklet.ashx
The car was built in September, 2019. It was actually used by the dealership as a loaner vehicle.

I’m leaning towards not buying it, but the additional “bumper to bumper” coverage, from 48,000 up to 100,000 miles, is very appealing given all the technical features of this car.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
The car was built in September, 2019. It was actually used by the dealership as a loaner vehicle.

I’m leaning towards not buying it, but the additional “bumper to bumper” coverage, from 48,000 up to 100,000 miles, is very appealing given all the technical features of this car.
You'd be gambling that you'd have more than $1135 worth of uncovered repairs in that 52K mile gap. I'd put $1135 in the bank and risk it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You'd be gambling that you'd have more than $1135 worth of uncovered repairs in that 52K mile gap. I'd put $1135 in the bank and risk it.
I need to correct myself, it takes the bumper to bumper all the way up to 120,000 miles. Makes it a little more attractive.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
If the CPO warranty works the same way as New you still have a lot of time to make the decision until it runs out. The quote will go up but I'm not sure at what time/mileage for a CPO.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts

Now that you own a 2020 model ;) - what did you decide on Honda Care? I'm guessing the 2020 model was sold to you as "New" rather than Certified Pre-Owned (as for your 2019 model). Also just curious, but when was your 2020 model built (i.e. how long did it sit on lot before you bought)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Now that you own a 2020 model ;) - what did you decide on Honda Care? I'm guessing the 2020 model was sold to you as "New" rather than Certified Pre-Owned (as for your 2019 model). Also just curious, but when was your 2020 model built (i.e. how long did it sit on lot before you bought)?
New car was built in February 2020. I purchased the HondaCare for my 2019 and will PROBABLY do it again for the 2020. I’ve got til 6000 miles to decide :)

On a side note- How can I set-up my account so that I get an email when one of my posts gets a response? I wouldn’t have seen Insightfully’s; except I stumbled across this thread again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts