Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda has announced new frontal airbag design patent for 2020+ models. It protects front passengers from a wider range of crashes involving head rotation and brain injury. A new knee airbag is added as well. Honda partnered with Swedish company AutoLiv on the inflator for this new design, after opting out of contracts with Takata in 2015.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28791083/honda-multi-compartment-airbag-cars/

I'm interested to see which "2020+ models" will get this airbag upgrade. I assume models that traditionally launch later in the calendar year (e.g. Civic, Accord) have a better shot at getting it, rather than the 2020 Insight that launched in July...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Intriguing.

I think your speculation is right on target. Then, again, it could be the first *new* feature added to the Gen 3 Insights!

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps someone with a 2020 Insight can let us know if there is a new square airbag port on the driver or passenger side for knee airbag. The online specs for the 2019 and 2020 Insight don't list the knee airbags, while the 2019 Accord does (attached). I'd think Honda would advertise this safety feature if added.

Cars like the Clarity and Accord have driver's knee airbag, but the Insight does not. The Insight's IIHS rating was just "average" for hip injury, and this additional knee airbag would improve that result. (Picture below is from 2019 Accord.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2020 Insight manual suggests "knee airbags" aren't present. The Insight 'only' has 11 airbag positions, while the Accord has 12 (including knee airbags).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Honda has announced new frontal airbag design patent for 2020+ models. It protects front passengers from a wider range of crashes involving head rotation and brain injury. A new knee airbag is added as well. Honda partnered with Swedish company AutoLiv on the inflator for this new design, after opting out of contracts with Takata in 2015.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28791083/honda-multi-compartment-airbag-cars/

I'm interested to see which "2020+ models" will get this airbag upgrade. I assume models that traditionally launch later in the calendar year (e.g. Civic, Accord) have a better shot at getting it, rather than the 2020 Insight that launched in July...
Honda usually does modifications during mid-gen refreshes and new gen vehicles. I can see the next gen Fit and mid-gen refresh CRV later this year offering it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts