Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Tampa Florida temps topped out today at 90-91. Ive been noticing a steady decline in my mpg on the way home 30% city 60% highway 65-70 mph. I usually get about 49-50mpg on the way home, today it dove down to 45mpg with econ on with the AC set to 70.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This morning it was 70 degrees and the temp was set at 69 - mpg jumped up to 53mpg on the 50 mile trip into work. Seems like hot days will definitely take a toll on your mpg. One thing I didn't mention was the in city driving was at the beginning of the trip and that's when the car was the hottest. I am sure that if I had started out on the freeway and ended in the city it would have been a different story.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This morning it was 70 degrees and the temp was set at 69 - mpg jumped up to 53mpg on the 50 mile trip into work. Seems like hot days will definitely take a toll on your mpg. One thing I didn't mention was the in city driving was at the beginning of the trip and that's when the car was the hottest. I am sure that if I had started out on the freeway and ended in the city it would have been a different story.
I wonder if air conditioner use is a factor in the mpg decline? At highway speeds there would be more efficient AC operation then at low speeds or stuck in traffic. By turning off the climate control. Then, when traveling at highway speeds or a steady 40 mph on city streets, manually turning on cooling. By doing something like this, I think you could get most of that lost mpg back, while enjoying a cool ride, just not all of the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
I wonder if air conditioner use is a factor in the mpg decline? At highway speeds there would be more efficient AC operation then at low speeds or stuck in traffic. By turning off the climate control. Then, when traveling at highway speeds or a steady 40 mph on city streets, manually turning on cooling. By doing something like this, I think you could get most of that lost mpg back, while enjoying a cool ride, just not all of the time.
I've followed the "Showtime Rotisserie Chicken" mindset when it comes to a/c - "Just set it and forget it!" I've seen very little mpg loss with the a/c compared to cabin heat. The a/c is electric, so there is no need for the ICE to run if battery exists. Once the cabin has cooled down to the desired temperature, the a/c kicks in very infrequently. While I'll drive with mittens on in winter to keep from using the cabin heat, I won't drive nekked to save in a/c costs. That, and I'm sure my fellow drivers appreciate me being fully clothed as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've followed the "Showtime Rotisserie Chicken" mindset when it comes to a/c - "Just set it and forget it!" I've seen very little mpg loss with the a/c compared to cabin heat. The a/c is electric, so there is no need for the ICE to run if battery exists. Once the cabin has cooled down to the desired temperature, the a/c kicks in very infrequently.........
Yes the a/c is electric. Ultimately all the electricity will be coming from gasoline. So the less total electricity used the higher the mpg. .....Perhaps only fractions of a mile per gallon.

On the other hand, there is a loss of 4-5 mpg or more, concurrent with a temperature change from 70 to 91 degrees. What would be an alternative explanation for the mpg loss?

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Yes the a/c is electric. Ultimately all the electricity will be coming from gasoline. So the less total electricity used the higher the mpg. .....Perhaps only fractions of a mile per gallon.

On the other hand, there is a loss of 4-5 mpg or more, concurrent with a temperature change from 70 to 91 degrees. What would be an alternative explanation for the mpg loss?
Perhaps it is not THAT the a/c is being used, but rather WHEN the a/c is being used. Per earlier remarks, I always seem to be moving during my commute, so grabbing dribs of electric for the a/c is not really an issue. It's those times when one is stopped in traffic or at red lights, and the ICE is required for heat or a/c that results in zero miles per gallon - that'll kill your numbers.

I went through the latter half of the summer running the a/c last year and was surprised how little the a/c affected my mpg numbers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Perhaps it is not THAT the a/c is being used, but rather WHEN the a/c is being used. Per earlier remarks, I always seem to be moving during my commute, so grabbing dribs of electric for the a/c is not really an issue. It's those times when one is stopped in traffic or at red lights, and the ICE is required for heat or a/c that results in zero miles per gallon - that'll kill your numbers.

I went through the latter half of the summer running the a/c last year and was surprised how little the a/c affected my mpg numbers.
I think that is accurate, WHEN not IF a/c or heater is used. ....also how much it is used.
As I said, use, non-use, when used, or how much use could be a matter of a fraction of an mpg, or the more substantial 4-5 mpg reported below.

I thank one has more choices / options dealing with all this when using manual rather than the automatic climate control turn it on then forget it option. Especially if one's daily commute involves lots of traffic, traffic lights, etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys all live in a milder climate. Just as I don’t have the mpg loss for heating - you won’t experience the high heat and humidity this lovely state of Florida has to offer. You cannot go without ac in the summer - or most of the time. Even when it’s not too hot - the humidity is still high. Only way to get rid of that damp air is the ac. I can only remember a handful of times I’ve walked out to my cars in the morning and not find them soaked - even in the summer when it’s 78 in the am.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Here in Tampa Florida temps topped out today at 90-91. Ive been noticing a steady decline in my mpg on the way home 30% city 60% highway 65-70 mph. I usually get about 49-50mpg on the way home, today it dove down to 45mpg with econ on with the AC set to 70.
For perspective/reference, the EPA fuel economy test only evaluates A/C at 95F and below-highway speed (20-55 mph, attached). One would guess Honda and other manufacturers know these testing parameters and optimize performance for these conditions. Your prior mpg results were near EPA average result for the Insight, so perhaps the combination of A/C running at <95F AND higher operating speed had steep (10%) mpg effect because both factors deviate from EPA testing requirements/conditions for which the car was optimized.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet you don't even use a whole tank for the trip down. Have a good trip. We are Florida bound in October for a wedding. I bet if you handle battery reserve ahead of any major hill climbing, you will break even in the hills. What goes up must come down. It should even out. ;)

We have officially transitioned to using AC in Birdie now. It's a bit hot outside. I know that eats 2 to 3 MPG from testing under controlled conditions. My wife and I just did a fun (speed limit observed) 187 mile drive over the hills to CT Route 8 off I-84 to US 44 and 199 back to home. Sport mode on all hills, and Normal Mode on everything else. 46.2 estimated MPG to Trader Joe's in Danbury, but sat in the car idling with AC on eating lunch in the parking lot. Next 114 mile leg up 84, up 8, over 44, 22 and 199 to Red Hook NY for an ice cream desert stop was a cool estimated 52 MPG. Final ice cold leg home was estimated 56 MPG. Even with AC and Sport in the hills, the car did fine on BP 87 (w/10% ethanol) gas. But I like that Stewart's non-ethanol gas a lot. If it is neck and neck with BP for price per mile, I'll use the Stewart's gas every time.

Phil
At least that's all the hit you get from the AC.. Here where it's been consistently in the mid to upper 90's with high humidity, I am seeing a significant hit on MPG. On a cloudy day I can eek out 50 - 51mpg driving all day - but full on sunshine (with tinted windows and lunar silver paint) it kills my mpg - even with recirculate turned on. The AC works great though! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
At least that's all the hit you get from the AC.. Here where it's been consistently in the mid to upper 90's with high humidity, I am seeing a significant hit on MPG. On a cloudy day I can eek out 50 - 51mpg driving all day - but full on sunshine (with tinted windows and lunar silver paint) it kills my mpg - even with recirculate turned on. The AC works great though! :)
How much of a hit do you experience in the worst case and/or what is the range of mpg impact at these extremes?

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
How much of a hit do you experience in the worst case and/or what is the range of mpg impact at these extremes?
It's been around 90F and humid the past week here, too. I'm averaging 3-4mpg less with AC set at 70-72 on auto & recirculate.

Reactions: PHILBERT

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's been around 90F and humid the past week here, too. I'm averaging 3-4mpg less with AC set at 70-72 on auto & recirculate.
That sounds about right. Haven't hit 100's yet, but I'm sure that will impact even more. Right now I'm running 100% AC on usually without recirculate. We like fresh air.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It honestly really depends on the weather. Some days on my trip home I can nearly hit 50mog going 70 for 50 miles. If the wind is even kicking a little that will take it down to 45-46mpg. Sometimes in the morning when it isn’t blazing yet - I can get 51-53mpg same speed and distance. This week we’re going to have a lot of rain and lower temps so I will try to take note and follow up.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts

This Saturday will be the first day my Insight will experience a 100F+ day here in Boston. Going to be interesting what the fuel economy numbers will be like...

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Temperature: 96F-98F
Real feel: 104F-106F
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 75F

AC: Auto 75F Recirculate
Average speed: 55mph-60mph (not much cars on the road today so I could drive at my own pace even on the highway. :grin:)

1st trip: Remote started car for 5 minutes. Drove in ECO 100% for 7.5 miles. 90% highway/10% city/3 hills. 37.4mpg
2nd trip: Remote started car for 5 minutes. Drove in Normal 40% and ECO 60% for 16.5 Miles. 70% highway/30% city/4 hills. 48.1mpg
3nd trip: Didn't remote start car. Drove in ECO 95% and Sport 5% for 9 miles. 75% highway/25% city/1 hill. 52.4mpg
*Only trips 2 and 3 shown in attached picture*

The Insight did better than I expected on such a hot day and so did the AC set at 75F. :smile:

Reactions: Moviemike

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
1st trip: Remote started car for 5 minutes. Drove in ECO 100% for 7.5 miles. 90% highway/10% city/3 hills. 37.4mpg
2nd trip: Remote started car for 5 minutes. Drove in Normal 40% and ECO 60% for 16.5 Miles. 70% highway/30% city/4 hills. 48.1mpg
3nd trip: Didn't remote start car. Drove in ECO 95% and Sport 5% for 9 miles. 75% highway/25% city/1 hill. 52.4mpg
*Only trips 2 and 3 shown in attached picture*

The Insight did better than I expected on such a hot day and so did the AC set at 75F. :smile:
How much time was there between trips? Were they relatively consecutive/close (30-60 min apart) or spaced, where the car interior temperature would have heated up appreciably? Wondering if each of your drives got better as you went, if the interior cooling effect was cumulative?

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
How much time was there between trips? Were they relatively consecutive/close (30-60 min apart) or spaced, where the car interior temperature would have heated up appreciably? Wondering if each of your drives got better as you went, if the interior cooling effect was cumulative?
1st and 2nd trip had a 45-60 minutes break. 2nd trip and 3rd trip had a 10 minute break so I didn't do the remote start.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts