Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why these cars are not able to get the HOV stickers her in CA?
I see so many other hybrids that are able to get them, Prius, Volt, etc. but when I last checked, this car is not listed. My 2010 Insight was able to wear them. :sad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
A quick look at the changes shows that California has become progressively more restrictive on the vehicles getting the HOV stickers. If you look at the fuel type in the following list for the 2010-2019 CURRENTLY eligible vehicles you will see that at a minimum they are hybrid/plug-in, no vehicles that are just hybrid are in the list:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/eligible-carpool-sticker-list

The earlier LEGACY HOV stickers have all expired per this webpage:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/carpool-stickers/about

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't answer your question. It's a somewhat educated guess but I think hybrids are no longer eligible for the HOV sticker because California is continuing to push for even cleaner vehicles and at the same time making sure that the HOV lanes aren't too crowded.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
From what I've read, the California HOV strategy seems like a similar philosophy as the "phase out" of tax incentives for low emission cars.

Tax incentives were initially available to motivate sales of alternative fuel cars. But the tax credits for conventional hybrids expired at the end of 2010, and the federal tax credit phases out for plug-in hybrid EVs and EVs after a company sells 200,000 units across model years.

Similarly, the CA program was intended to increase fuel-efficient hybrid sales, back when they were unfamiliar to the public. But California also has aggressive targets for reducing overall emissions, which means that they keep setting the threshold higher and higher. California wants to increase the number of zero-emission vehicles 5x between now and 2025, and part of achieving that is to restrict the stickers further to battery-electric (~Tesla), hydrogen-powered, plug-in hybrids.

Sadly, it looks like with CA's new, higher bar, the 2019 Insight doesn't make the cut.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
The 2020 model year Insight began selling in July 2019, but was added to New York's "Clean Pass" list of approved vehicles in September 2019:
"Clean Pass is a program that allows eligible low-emission, energy-efficient vehicles to use the 40-mile Long Island Expressway High Occupancy Vehicle (LIE/HOV) lanes, regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicle."
- https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass

Curiosity question for those in the know on NY law... but if a 2020 Insight was bought in NY before it was added to the list, does the state automatically issue and send a sticker retroactively? Or does the owner need to request the HOV sticker on their own?

Also interesting from that site is that the 2011-2015 Civic hybrid and 2010-2015 Honda Insight didn't meet the fuel economy requirements so did not qualify for this. Only the 2000-2006 Insight and 2006-2010 Civic Hybrid were deemed 'clean' enough.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's what happened in Cowlowrado. I had an HOV sticker for my 2005 Civic Hybrid, but when I traded it in for my Insight, I had to notify the state so they could give the permit to another
long waiting user. . . I still will drive in the HOV lanes until I get stopped. . .

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
That's what happened in Cowlowrado. I had an HOV sticker for my 2005 Civic Hybrid, but when I traded it in for my Insight, I had to notify the state so they could give the permit to another long waiting user. . . I still will drive in the HOV lanes until I get stopped. . .
It looks like Colorado is ending HOV access for all hybrid cars effective 5/31/20 - switching to toll transponders rather than stickers in the process - https://www.codot.gov/programs/hybrids

·
Registered
836 Posts
The 2020 model year Insight began selling in July 2019, but was added to New York's "Clean Pass" list of approved vehicles in September 2019:
"Clean Pass is a program that allows eligible low-emission, energy-efficient vehicles to use the 40-mile Long Island Expressway High Occupancy Vehicle (LIE/HOV) lanes, regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicle."
- https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass

Curiosity question for those in the know on NY law... but if a 2020 Insight was bought in NY before it was added to the list, does the state automatically issue and send a sticker retroactively? Or does the owner need to request the HOV sticker on their own?

Also interesting from that site is that the 2011-2015 Civic hybrid and 2010-2015 Honda Insight didn't meet the fuel economy requirements so did not qualify for this. Only the 2000-2006 Insight and 2006-2010 Civic Hybrid were deemed 'clean' enough.
Clean Pass is an optional program, that one has to apply for regardless of when you bought your car. The 2019 model year was already on the list when we bought ours. Same thing with hybrid "ez-pass" which is any hybrid that is rated at a certain mpg rating qualifies. You start with a base ez-pass account, fill out the form, and send it in with a copy of your registration and they mail you a green ez-pass that gets you further discounts on tolls.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Interesting, Insightfully! But it didn't mention if I could drive in the HOV lanes on Santa Fe Drive without having more than one occupant or a transponder. . . I'll have to be careful there (I don't
drive on the I-25 or Hwy 36 toll lanes so that won't affect me).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts