Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking any extra steps? I recently heard that Covid droplets get stuck in AC vents of buildings so I was thinking the same could happen to cars so I recently turned on my AC full blast with circulate on and sprayed a bunch of disinfectant into middle of car and let it run for 10 minutes in hopes it would circulate through vents.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Aside from deferring fuel pump repair by dealer), I've only taken limited additional steps:
  • Limiting who enters my car
  • Wiping hands (wet wipes) before entering car or touching interior surfaces (like steering wheel)
  • Running vents on "fresh air" rather than recirculate
Car dealers are using electrostatic sprayers which uses positive/negative charges to apply disinfecting solutions to multiple surfaces. The application is effective because the disinfectant clings more effectively to the target area, and the science works to find/target areas that haven't been treated. I don't love the chemicals, residue or potential long term soft-surface damage resulting from use of those products, so even though they work, I'm trying to avoid them altogether with the techniques above.

Regarding A/C, in Japan, Honda donated vans with ventiliation modifications that seal off the driver and passenger, and applies one-way positive pressure. Aside from modifying your ventilation system, few other things that could supplement what you're doing are:

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The disinfectant I currently use is a hospital grade multi-surface friendly disinfectant.

I was already super clean with regards to my car pre-Covid , now I’m just more so. Just checked the app where I store all my auto records and it seems like im already due for my 3rd cabin filter. I was thinking about going aftermarket charcoal (since Honda doesn’t make one) but may buy the disinfectant cabin filter if it’s not too expensive.

Plus I lucked out on the fuel pump problem as I checked my vin and no recall on my Insight (guess its a later build ‘19).

I guess aside from what I’m currently doing , I could run the car from non-circulate and spray disinfectant into the area where the car takes in air from outside (but I don’t know where that is). Ultimately, I think just spraying disinfectant into car while AC is running high and letting it circulate for a while is good.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Plus I lucked out on the fuel pump problem as I checked my vin and no recall on my Insight (guess its a later build ‘19).

I guess aside from what I’m currently doing , I could run the car from non-circulate and spray disinfectant into the area where the car takes in air from outside (but I don’t know where that is).
The air intake points are near the front windshield wiper area.

2019 models affected by the fuel pump recall were built between 5/23/18 and 3/8/19. Hopefully you indeed sidestepped this, but you previously mentioned Dec 2018 build date which falls in the middle of the affected window... so might be worth re-checking. I've seen on Civic forum that people get different result from checking same VIN on NHTSA site versus Honda site.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
A couple recent (2021) cabin-related "air cleaning" insights from KBB:

In Europe, Honda is selling a 4-layer filter that claims it “prevents the release of viral aerosols into the cabin” (including SARS COV-2) and “inactivates almost 100 percent of captured virus aerosols” if/when they pass thru the filter. - https://www.kbb.com/car-news/hondas-new-air-filter-battles-coronavirus-particles/

In Japan, Honda sells a pricy fabric covering (mask? - $68) for the cabin air filter, which traps virus particles in the cabin filtration system and removes 99.8% of virus particles in 15 minutes. - https://www.kbb.com/car-news/honda-car-mask-claims-to-filter-viruses-inside-vehicles/

A cabin ventilation model suggests that lowering the windows at opposite/diagonal unoccupied seats, “creates an air curtain” that stops more aerosols from passing from driver to passenger. - https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-roll-down-car-windows-to-reduce-covid-19-risk/

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't let anyone inside your car who isn't a family member and have anyone inside your car wear a mask. I don't allow anyone inside my car other than my mother. I also have a rechargeable hand vac to clean everything in the car once a week.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did rideshare (Uber/Lyft) throughout the whole pandemic. So thousands of strangers have been in my car. I actually got Covid last April (most likely through rideshare as mask mandates weren’t in place yet). It hit me hard but I beat it. After recovering, I felt safer and kind of felt like I got it over with.

Honestly, even though there was no evidence that getting covid provided immunity at the time, I made my own judgement about it and decided to still drive.

I actually had antibodies for quite some time based on testing but I’m out now and just got my first Moderna shot today.

Ive been cleaning my car occasionally as mentioned above and also spraying a disinfectant/cleaner I bought off amazon by the gallon and spray the rear every night when I finish rideshare (I also vacuum every night as well).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts