Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking any extra steps? I recently heard that Covid droplets get stuck in AC vents of buildings so I was thinking the same could happen to cars so I recently turned on my AC full blast with circulate on and sprayed a bunch of disinfectant into middle of car and let it run for 10 minutes in hopes it would circulate through vents.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Aside from deferring fuel pump repair by dealer), I've only taken limited additional steps:
  • Limiting who enters my car
  • Wiping hands (wet wipes) before entering car or touching interior surfaces (like steering wheel)
  • Running vents on "fresh air" rather than recirculate
Car dealers are using electrostatic sprayers which uses positive/negative charges to apply disinfecting solutions to multiple surfaces. The application is effective because the disinfectant clings more effectively to the target area, and the science works to find/target areas that haven't been treated. I don't love the chemicals, residue or potential long term soft-surface damage resulting from use of those products, so even though they work, I'm trying to avoid them altogether with the techniques above.

Regarding A/C, in Japan, Honda donated vans with ventiliation modifications that seal off the driver and passenger, and applies one-way positive pressure. Aside from modifying your ventilation system, few other things that could supplement what you're doing are:

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The disinfectant I currently use is a hospital grade multi-surface friendly disinfectant.

I was already super clean with regards to my car pre-Covid , now I’m just more so. Just checked the app where I store all my auto records and it seems like im already due for my 3rd cabin filter. I was thinking about going aftermarket charcoal (since Honda doesn’t make one) but may buy the disinfectant cabin filter if it’s not too expensive.

Plus I lucked out on the fuel pump problem as I checked my vin and no recall on my Insight (guess its a later build ‘19).

I guess aside from what I’m currently doing , I could run the car from non-circulate and spray disinfectant into the area where the car takes in air from outside (but I don’t know where that is). Ultimately, I think just spraying disinfectant into car while AC is running high and letting it circulate for a while is good.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Plus I lucked out on the fuel pump problem as I checked my vin and no recall on my Insight (guess its a later build ‘19).

I guess aside from what I’m currently doing , I could run the car from non-circulate and spray disinfectant into the area where the car takes in air from outside (but I don’t know where that is).
The air intake points are near the front windshield wiper area.

2019 models affected by the fuel pump recall were built between 5/23/18 and 3/8/19. Hopefully you indeed sidestepped this, but you previously mentioned Dec 2018 build date which falls in the middle of the affected window... so might be worth re-checking. I've seen on Civic forum that people get different result from checking same VIN on NHTSA site versus Honda site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts