Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

How do you close your hood?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Insight hood is lightweight due to aluminum construction. Some have commented on extra 'oomph' being needed to latch the hood properly, but some different comments on dropping vs pushing vs slamming shut.

Opening this poll to see if there is a common recommended best practice.

The owners manual (pg 563) recommends lowering hood to 12-inches above latch position, then releasing to close... but this doesn't consistently work due to the weight of hood and/or position of hood stops.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will attempt to drop the hood from 1 feet high, but it would always latch and not lock. So I'll end up pushing it down to lock anyway haha.
I hope pushing it down doesn't bend the aluminum in any way.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
It takes a helluva lot of down-force to latch the hood. I wouldn't push down on it. I slam my hood from a few feet high. No problems so far. I have also not had the hood shake at speed that's been reported by others. Mine must be, as Tuco from Breaking Bad says, "Tight... Tight! Tight! Tight!"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine must be, as Tuco from Breaking Bad says, "Tight... Tight! Tight! Tight!"
LOL

I was warned by dealer NOT to push on it; easily bent.
My dealer did the contrary. The sales guy opened the hood to disconnect their aftermarket anti-theft GPS module (I did not purchase any back-end products in F&I). He then closed it like he's performing a CPR on the hood.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I slam it shut from 12 inches. For some reason, mine doesn't fully lock no matter how high I let it drop.

·
Registered
836 Posts
To clarify my vote, from approximately 12-18 inches high, I apply some force to accelerate the hood, I release my hands before the hood hits the latch. I believe that with some adjustment I could probably make the hood close easier, I just worry if I adjust the stops down too far, the hood will vibrate more during windy conditions at highway speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts