Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll leave this up, but disregard. I read the owners manual on this and it clearly said NOT TO INSTALL one. so that took care of the question I guess I should RTFM.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I was considering this.. still haven’t decided if I’m going to do it.. I would go with this though.. plus I work with a car electronics shop who has a guy that is very good with car electronics.. he told me with this system, you could keep your OEM remote and basically have transponder functionality, which you obviously want to keep for security purposes. I’m assuming that’s why the manual recommends not installing an aftermarket alarm.

I wanted to get an aftermarket alarm for the tilt sensor (just in case someone tries to jack up car to steal the Cat.) and be able to remote start anywhere in the world with my phone and track vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts
so the squarish thingie at back by exhaust is just part of muffler?
Yes, according to Honda diagrams and actual pictures of the cat.
Product Organism Vegetation Font Line

Organism Font Terrestrial plant Diagram Parallel

Window Wood Creative arts Natural material Art

Honda didn't hide the cat for anti-theft purposes but to enhance low emission performance.
Close-Coupled Catalyst
Insight's engine has an exhaust manifold that is cast directly into the aluminum alloy cylinder head to reduce weight and complexity, and to position the catalytic converter as close as possible to the combustion chambers. A high-efficiency converter mounts directly to the exhaust port of the cylinder head for extremely rapid converter activation after engine startup.
The Chevy Volt had a similar configuration.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Honda didn't hide the cat for anti-theft purposes but to enhance low emission performance.

The Chevy Volt had a similar configuration.
They unintentionally killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
78 Posts
Yes, according to Honda diagrams and actual pictures of the cat.
View attachment 7430
View attachment 7432
There are actually two catalytic converters on the Insight, the one you linked to is the lower of the two and is actually accessible from beneath the vehicle. I noticed it while I was changing my oil last month. This is the upper cat that bolts directly to the exhaust manifold. The lower cat is the less expensive of the two, but unfortunately does appear to be accessible to thieves. Of course, there are also the idiot thieves who might mistake part number 8 (part of the muffler assembly) for a cat and take that instead. 2019-2021 Honda Insight Converter, Cc 18190-6L2-A00 | Honda Parts Online
Organism Font Line Auto part Drawing

Here is the diagram from the service manual showing how the two fit together on the exhaust manifold.
Font Auto part Diagram Illustration Machine

·
Registered
574 Posts
There are actually two catalytic converters on the Insight, the one you linked to is the lower of the two and is actually accessible from beneath the vehicle. I noticed it while I was changing my oil last month. This is the upper cat that bolts directly to the exhaust manifold. The lower cat is the less expensive of the two, but unfortunately does appear to be accessible to thieves. Of course, there are also the idiot thieves who might mistake part number 8 (part of the muffler assembly) for a cat and take that instead. 2019-2021 Honda Insight Converter, Cc 18190-6L2-A00 | Honda Parts Online
View attachment 7433

Here is the diagram from the service manual showing how the two fit together on the exhaust manifold.
View attachment 7434
good info.. I’d be interested to know how much that lower cat costs.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts
Thanks for that info @sjmuller.
good info.. I’d be interested to know how much that lower cat costs.
About $1k for a new one. I still wouldn't worry about it though. It's not a quick easy cut and run like a Prius cat. The lower cat doesn't have as much rare earth metals either. Also like @sjmuller suggested a thief would most likely take the piece of the muffler indicated as part 8. You can't see it when you look underneath the vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts