Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering what were you guys observations about regen breaking when coming to a stop.

In normal city driving, I usually get 0 or 1 bar up when stopping from speeds less than 30mph on flat roads. Going to work, I have a short exit where I have to go from 60mph to 0 in 700ft and I usually gain 2 to 3 bars doing that (Ec=.5*mv² ok ok). All of this in winter/spring temperatures (30-60°F).

Is that aligned with what you guys notice? Do you feel like you're regenerating more with light, medium or strong breaking? Maybe in terms on the green gauge? Sometimes going down a hill I don't know if I should gain some speed and then brake hard(er) or maintain a slow speed throughout.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Going out from my house I climb a very good sized hill about a 1/2 mile UP... Going home I get a full charge going down with a Half Brake... paddling down the charge will stay at about the 1/2 way on the meter, pressing the brake Lightly (half brake) I then get a full charge on the meter. Starting at the top of the hill I may have 2-3 bars... I find that paddling down with a half brake gives me the best charge...

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
My daily drive has a 400 ft elevation change over 2.6 miles.

At temps >50F (and with the right stoplight/traffic timing), I can start at 3 bars of HV battery and essentially "coast" from the crest of the hill to destination at 40-45 mph, AND end with with a fully charged battery even without upping the regen level to get extra charging.

In temps <50F, if I start with 3 bars of HV battery AND maximize regen from the crest of the hill to destination at 40-45 mph, I end at 6-8 bars of battery at best.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
It depends on current battery temperature. If it's too hot or cold you won't get as much regenerative braking. This is done to preserve overall health of the battery.

Reactions: pasei

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about just stopping to a red light on a flat road? Are you supposed to see bars up?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
What about just stopping to a red light on a flat road? Are you supposed to see bars up?
It depends on how much braking is applied and where the 'bar' is in charge status/measurement.

There's always charging going on while in the "green" of the image below, but "bars will go up" only in proportion to the amount of recaptured energy. I watch the green/charge section of the meter as a first measure for charging, and consider the bars a secondary result of the extent and duration of time in the green.

The lower into the green/charge section I go, the more charging I'm getting and the more the bars will go up. Things like a downhill slope, or lifting foot from gas pedal, or applying the brakes can put me in the 'green' and accumulate charge - but to varying degrees (per the "kinetic energy = 1/2 * MV²" equation above).

Initial travel of the brake pedal is regenerative (with or without use of paddles), but switches to traditional friction braking at 10-15 mph (or on emergency stop). And at the point where friction braking kicks in, the needle will change direction (go higher) in the green section. The longer and deeper into the green I can stay before the needle changes direction, the more increase in 'bars' I expect to see.

On routes that I travel regularly, I can predict how much charge/bars I'll get. But it's not a directly linear relationship (and depends on where battery charge starts from), so it's harder to read on other routes (and can be affected by other factors like ambient temperature, road/rain conditions, etc).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts