·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
This feature is very helpful, and Google is actually working on releasing routes for different car types, something that hasarad complained about it lacking in the thread you mentioned
Awesome, looking forward to the new update. I've been using this feature to discover new fuel efficient routes to take on my trips.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
EV mode helps, but if traffic were moving the battery could be moving the car instead of simply keeping it running.
Yeah, I agree with this especially in the Summer and Winter. My battery level drops as I'm sitting in traffic with the HVAC on trying to keep cool or warm. I don't mind traffic as much during the Spring or Fall since I can sit in EV mode with just the fan on/off which doesn't drain the battery as quick.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
It makes sense if you think about it. If you didn't accelerate and depending on how long of a downhill stretch your battery would become full quickly. Once it becomes full your engine fires up to burn off the regenerated energy instead of storing it in the battery. By accelerating when needed you're preventing the battery from reaching max capacity and allowing yourself to coast down in EV mode as long as possible.

Edit: I think I mis-read what you wrote above. My guess is that you're regenerating energy at a higher rate than using when accelerating depending on how steep that downhill is.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
Well gravity plus your acceleration is pushing you downhill faster. The regenerative braking increases the rate of recharge the faster you're going. At least to a certain point cause Honda definitely set a threshold to prevent the battery from overheating. So in the end you're most likely making more energy than using on that stretch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts