Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Page 648 of the manual for my 2020 Insight Touring indicates there is a pull lever in the trunk for manually opening the fuel filler door. I've looked carefully and can't find it. Any clues?

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Page 648 of the manual for my 2020 Insight Touring indicates there is a pull lever in the trunk for manually opening the fuel filler door. I've looked carefully and can't find it. Any clues?
I think I posted a picture of it somewhere on the forum but can't find it right now. Will see if I can post another picture tomorrow. The switch has a warning label next to it if I remember correctly.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I think I posted a picture of it somewhere on the forum but can't find it right now. Will see if I can post another picture tomorrow. The switch has a warning label next to it if I remember correctly.
The picture was posted as part of the "Fuel Door Opening for No Reason" thread. Re-sharing picture from trunk here on your behalf, along with the attached manual page.
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/588-fuel-door-opening-no-reason-2.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it !!!

With help from you guys, I looked harder and with a mirror. The release is a yellow handle behind the silver thing that is next to some sort of electrical device. I'm not sure why it's yellow because it's not visible unless you crawl into the trunk.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
With help from you guys, I looked harder and with a mirror. The release is a yellow handle behind the silver thing that is next to some sort of electrical device. I'm not sure why it's yellow because it's not visible unless you crawl into the trunk.
Good find. Glad it's shielded for intentional use, rather than accidental bump/trigger! The yellow handle reminds me of the pulling end for the oil dipstick. Maybe yellow so you can find it easier in emergency/dark -?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't had the Insight though a winter yet...

Any problems with the fuel door freezing up in the winter?

Previous honda's had the pull lever on the floor by the drivers seat, when the door did not open due to ice a good bang always opened it.... Just curious to see if anyone had issues opening the fuel door in the winter?

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I haven't had the Insight though a winter yet...

Previous honda's had the pull lever on the floor by the drivers seat, when the door did not open due to ice a good bang always opened it.... Just curious to see if anyone had issues opening the fuel door in the winter?
Mine froze cause rain got in the fuel door gap. Depending on when you bought your Insight the newer ones have a flush fuel door so it shouldn't be a concern.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts

I didn't have any issues last winter (and I'm one with a larger gap at fuel door). With the car's fuel efficiency, fuel-ups are infrequent and garaging the car helped me manage freezing conditions in between.

There's risk on any car that the fuel door gets frozen shut, especially for cars like the Insight without door gaskets. Worst case and/or similar to your mention, @Verdier views the gap/play in the fuel door as a positive feature, where tapping on the door allows movement to break ice off more easily. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/588-fuel-door-opening-no-reason-3.html#post18378

·
Registered
158 Posts
Illustration of "Fuel Door Release Lever" in manual is a poor representation. Might be a good idea to print out the photo provided by filmlabrat and keep it in glovebox.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Illustration of "Fuel Door Release Lever" in manual is a poor representation. Might be a good idea to print out the photo provided by filmlabrat and keep it in glovebox.
The warning label in the trunk with arrow pointing to the wrong object was also deceiving. :confused:

Reactions: filmlabrat

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
It's kind of hard to see in the dark even with the trunk light. I had to use my phone's flashlight to find it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I think the pictures posted above provide better vantage, but there's now a quick video by HondaPro Jason that illustrates how to manually open the fuel door as well:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello. I tried getting gas this morning. I pressed the 'gas-button' on the driver side dash inside the car. I hear the usual click and went out side, but the gas cover-door didn't open.

I pressed the button again and I hear the usual click- but gas cap door isn't open.

I tried the manual way pulling a lever inside the trunk (right side) via manual. The gas door still won't open.

This is kind of scary bc what if I was in the middle of no where and gas cap-door won't open? It's a 2019 Insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Gas-cap Door still won't open via manual way via inside the right side of the trunk. It's a 2019 and why Honda? Why?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Hello. I tried getting gas this morning. I pressed the 'gas-button' on the driver side dash inside the car. I hear the usual click and went out side, but the gas cover-door didn't open.
[...]
I tried the manual way pulling a lever inside the trunk (right side) via manual. The gas door still won't open.
Does the lever have a lot of travel and/or require a lot of force? The pictures in post #4 above from @filmlabrat look like the lever is hard to grab and may need to be pulled out a ways to activate.

Also a good reminder that running the gas tank down to zero range can have risk if the gas door happens to get stuck at same time!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just went to the dealership and they quaoted me $~469.00 because I need a new gas-cap door, wires and labor....

WTF? It's a 2019 with 45k miles on it

·
Registered
205 Posts
Warranty is only 3yrs & 36k miles (I have a 2019 Touring with 40k+miles) I bought it brand new.

WTF!!!!

I'm just going to pry-it open manually by pulling gas-cap door via my fingers. F.U. HONDA!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Try to have one person apply pressure on the fuel door while the other activates the fuel door. That’s how the dealership got it to open once when mine couldn’t pop open.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Try to have one person apply pressure on the fuel door while the other activates the fuel door. That’s how the dealership got it to open once when mine couldn’t pop open.
From your description linked in post #7 and re-quoted below, it sounds like pushing on it and using the fuel door button (vs manual latch) worked to open it. And the other suggestion from your dealer was to keep the fuel cap attachment cord downward when in storage. Have you had any issues since?

"My Insight's fuel door pops open slightly and does not sit flush. [...] Had to bring it to the dealership. I think they used some tool to get it to open. When they showed me the car, I tried to open the fuel door, and it was not opening again. This time they had one person pressing the fuel door button while the other was pushing the fuel door inwards to sit flush with the rest of the car.

Once it was open they told me to have the cord attached to the fuel cap hang in a downward direction instead of upwards in the future. Mine was pulled in an upwards position towards the right. So it required more force for the latch to pop open which my car wasn't able to do due to ice and the fuel door in general being slightly open to begin with."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts