Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the front passenger seat to make more room for deliveries. I expected standard hex bolts, but instead found a strange bolt that looks like star-drive, but much larger than the star-drive used for ordinary screws.

Anyone know where to get the right tool to remove these? Also, is there anything else I need to know about removing the seat? I searched the forums and YouTube, but didn't see anyone else discussing it.

(Image attached.)

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I want to remove the front passenger seat to make more room for deliveries. I expected standard hex bolts, but instead found a strange bolt that looks like star-drive, but much larger than the star-drive used for ordinary screws.

Anyone know where to get the right tool to remove these? Also, is there anything else I need to know about removing the seat? I searched the forums and YouTube, but didn't see anyone else discussing it.

(Image attached.)

You should be able to purchase the right items, including a 3/8 in. ratchet for the torx head bolt, if you don't already own a 3/8 in. ratchet at your local automotive store such as reilly's, advance auto, pep boys, etc. Heck, if you have a Walmart store, they should have them in their auto section.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
Careful with removing the seat! There are sensors for passenger airbag arming and seat-belt you'll need to deal with. Not sure how complicated that will be.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Careful with removing the seat! There are sensors for passenger airbag arming and seat-belt you'll need to deal with. Not sure how complicated that will be.
Good reminder... There's brief discussion in CivicX forum (same platform as Insight) of disconnecting the airbag and unbolting seat to remove; battery was not disconnected on the Civic to complete the process.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/remove-front-seats.14629/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the T-47, removed the four bolts. Now there's a single black cable ending in three different heads. I managed to unclip two of the heads, but the yellow/black one is unintuitive, haven't figured it out yet. Anyone know the trick?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good reminder... There's brief discussion in CivicX forum (same platform as Insight) of disconnecting the airbag and unbolting seat to remove; battery was not disconnected on the Civic to complete the process.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/remove-front-seats.14629/

That thread has a photo of a connector that looks similar (possibly identical) to the one I'm stuck with:

https://www.civicx.com/attachments/20190827_133501-jpg.171822/

The next post says he got off, but he doesn't say how.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the last clip off. Now the only thing left to do is decide how to detach the black plastic cable pack from the chair. It's attached by a black cable tie to anchor.

Is there a correct way to do this? Does the anchor pop out of the hole if you pull hard enough? Or do I need to just cut the black cable tie?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I got the last clip off. Now the only thing left to do is decide how to detach the black plastic cable pack from the chair. It's attached by a black cable tie to anchor.
Here's a video of front passenger seat removal from an older Honda Accord. It looks like there should be a clip point (similar to the yellow one) at which you can disconnect the black plastic cable pack.

https://youtu.be/23vVln0KLxU?t=130

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wonder if you will gain some mpgs by taking out that seat... :rolleyes:

I thought about that. I assume it'll help, because physics, but maybe not enough to notice. Besides, the chair weighs significantly less than the amount of fat I still need to burn... :)

P.S. Anyone know what that thing I circled in red is for? I've seen it in my other cars, too.

I was wondering about that. It seems like a vent. Maybe it's for rear passenger HVAC.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
P.S. Anyone know what that thing I circled in red is for? I've seen it in my other cars, too.
I was wondering about that. It seems like a vent. Maybe it's for rear passenger HVAC.
I think they're either pre-wired spots for heated seats (?) or something related to directing air to rear passengers when the climate control has a 'floor vent' setting.

Maybe with seats out, @odigity can tell us if airflow changes or comes out of those holes when the climate system is switched from 'dashboard vent only' to 'floor vent only.'

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that I've removed the passenger seat, my Insight is complaining about not being able to detect the passenger airbag. Anyone know how to make it happy again?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Now that I've removed the passenger seat, my Insight is complaining about not being able to detect the passenger airbag. Anyone know how to make it happy again?
Removing the front seat isn't something I've done and am not familiar with, so proceed at your own risk... but sharing some additional info/resources that might be worth trying:

These are references for older Honda models, but this post in a Honda Element thread describes steps for erasing the memory for the SRS light (yellow connector), and the following video shows how to execute it on a 2007 Civic:

FYI - assuming the Gen3 Insight seat connectors are the same as the GenX Civic (same platform, same seat dimension specs), the two sensors that were removed were both weight sensors:
https://youtu.be/rWlSGko8qSA?t=12

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, but that's a little too past my comfort zone right now. I have to go back to the dealer next week to pick up DMV docs anyway, I'll ask the service dept. while I'm there and see if they know the right answer.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
Is it yelling about the passenger seat belt as well?

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I think they're either pre-wired spots for heated seats (?) or something related to directing air to rear passengers when the climate control has a 'floor vent' setting.

Maybe with seats out, @odigity can tell us if airflow changes or comes out of those holes when the climate system is switched from 'dashboard vent only' to 'floor vent only.'
It's to direct hot or cold air to the rear passenger's feet when the "floor vent" setting is on. I got the info from the Subaru Outback owner's manual so it should be the same for the Insight.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Is it yelling about the passenger seat belt as well?
I'm guessing there's no seat belt alarm, since only the passenger airbag weight/pre-check is done at start-up. The two sensors under the seat are described as weight sensors in other Honda forums.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts