Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I found the following tips interesting and/or hadn't considered before. It seems Honda tried to cover bases for both warm and cold weather storage conditions:
  • Support the front and rear wiper blade arms with a folded towel or rag so they do not touch the windshield
  • Leave the parking brake off; put the transmission in Reverse (manual) or Park (automatic)
Also the following tips mention "15 minutes at normal operating temperature" - which suggests 20+ minutes total (after warm-up). Based on this, run time (15+ minutes) seems more relevant than distance (15+ miles).
  • Operate the engine at the normal operating temperature specified in your owner’s manual for 15 minutes before turning off the engine
  • If possible, run the engine monthly until it reaches full operating temperature (the cooling fans should cycle on and off twice); this will ensure proper lubrication

· Registered
1 Posts
I tweeted hondacustsvc explaining I needed to lay up my Insight for 6 months and explained that trickle charging in the cabin required a space for an electric cord and dust and mice were a concern, and that I was concerned I would lose all electronic settings if I removed the battery to charge elsewhere, and asked what Honda recommended.

From HondaCustSvc on Twitter WD replied" We can assist in documenting a complaint but unfortunately, we cannot offer assistance diagnosing the issue or make suggestions for possible maintenance since we are not technicians. We're sorry we could not be of greater assistance in that regard."

Honda was quick to respond but not helpful.

If anyone has experience laying-up an Insight (I realize the car is new and not many have been laid-up) I'd appreciate hearing what they did and if they were satisfied they chose the right way to do it.
in 2021, an appalling lack of technical direction from the local dealership nor Honda Corporate, on the issue of battery maintainer for limited use 2019 Insight, my ( former) dealership can’t even fill oil to proper level, they can’t read the dip stick, let alone, technical advice for Insight agm battery maintainer.

· Registered
359 Posts
It is not just Honda, it is everyone. I have asked Dealers questions and they pretty much always reply they will have to ask the manufacturer. Then when I ask the manufacturer they reply that only the Dealer can answer that. Customer support has turned into just anyone who applies for the job getting it and their primary goal is to get you to go away without having to do work. This one time I saw my manual said my car had power steering fluid, but did not list what type to use, so I contacted the manufacturer. Do you know what their reply was? "Uh, we do not know." *grumpy rant over

· Registered
4 Posts
in 2021, an appalling lack of technical direction from the local dealership nor Honda Corporate, on the issue of battery maintainer for limited use 2019 Insight, my ( former) dealership can’t even fill oil to proper level, they can’t read the dip stick, let alone, technical advice for Insight agm battery maintainer.
barkoukie:
I can't help with the dust and mice, but using a battery maintainer/charger for the 12V AGM will be fine (maintainer MUST be for AGM type). If the time was less than 6 months, say 2 or 3, you wouldn't even need to use a charger. AGMs have very low internal resistance which means the self discharge rate is very very low.

If you do use a charger, use the connections in the engine compartment (as described in the manual) and crack the windows open (assuming you're leaving the car in a garage). AGMs are valve regulated batteries. Think of the valve as a kind of pressure release valve; during charging if the hydrogen gas gets too high, the "pressure release valve" will open. The cracked windows are just a precaution as I believe the AGM in the Insight has a tube that is vented to the outside. Don't let any of this scare you, as long as the maintainer is designed for the AGM type, you'll be fine.

I don't know why Honda is so vague about charging the AGM. As in previous posts, the manual eludes to using a AGM type charger. There is a battery sensor on the negative terminal. Maybe Honda is afraid that it may get damaged, who knows?? They're just being overly cautious.

The AGM is a good battery that should last a good number of years; 10 or more. It's located in a very good spot, in the cabin away from the engine compartment; away from extreme heat.

Take care,
Joe

41 - 45 of 45 Posts