Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, how do I do this?

"Up to 800 feet (line of sight) away, I can turn on AC or heat (depending on summer or winter) with remote to get the car down to (or up to) a 72 degree temp."

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
On remote, hit lock button twice, then press and hold the remote start button. Turn signals will flash to indicate it's starting. It will run for 15 minutes and turn off if you don't enter the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Sorry, how do I do this?

"Up to 800 feet (line of sight) away, I can turn on AC or heat (depending on summer or winter) with remote to get the car down to (or up to) a 72 degree temp."
Attached is how it reads from the manual, available for EX and Touring models. The "remote start" button is the bottom left button in the shape of a 'circular arrow.' It's helpful for warming or cooling the car (targets 72F) while keeping the car safely locked. It stays running for up to 10 minutes, and can be extended with some extra button presses. Dealer websites quote 400 ft as the range for remote start, but YMMV with fob/battery and path to car's receiver.

In warm weather, you may also want to roll down the windows before entering OR instead of using remote start. Pressing and holding the 'unlock' button twice on the remote will remote-open all windows (plus moonroof on Touring). Rolling up the windows is done manually from inside the car OR turning and holding the physical key in the driver's door.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
On remote, hit lock button twice, then press and hold the remote start button. Turn signals will flash to indicate it's starting. It will run for 15 minutes and turn off if you don't enter the car.
No need to hit lock button twice. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any other indication that the car remote started other than the lights? If you are parked in a crowded parking lot and cannot see your vehicle but think you are within 400 feet away and try to remote started it, you have no way of knowing if it worked?

In my experience the car remote starts off the battery, so the car remains almost silent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is there any other indication that the car remote started other than the lights? If you are parked in a crowded parking lot and cannot see your vehicle but think you are within 400 feet away and try to remote started it, you have no way of knowing if it worked?

In my experience the car remote starts off the battery, so the car remains almost silent.
You are correct! You just have to hope the car picked up the signal. I have only had my Insight for 3 months but use the remote start 99% of the time. In these 3 months, the remote start may not have connected only 4 or 5 times and that was in crowded, busy lots.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts

Exterior light flash (6x on, 1x off) is the only setting for confirmation of remote start. It's designed/advertised to work within 100 feet, per the video in post #1, but YMMV depending on fob battery state and surrounding buildings/cars.

Remote start won't always start off the battery. It will depend on environmental and battery level conditions. In warm weather with enough battery, A/C is electrically powered and may run on the battery alone. In cold weather, you'll likely hear the ICE start because heating is not electrically powered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cool!!! I have used the remote start many times, which is great for getting kids into the car in hot weather (especially when you need to buckle a car seat and don't want to have to go around to the driver's seat first to start up the AC). But I just learned the tip for getting the windows down, too! We still have some hot weeks ahead in southern CA so I will practice my new trick.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Remote start maximum number of times?

Hello, I have a 2019 Touring. I had remote started my car for 5 minutes and then extended it for 10 more minutes. Then I ended up not taking the car so I let it die. Few hours after I tried to remote start and the car wouldn't do anything. Then I tried with the app and it told me I had too many remote starts and I needed to turn the car on and off to reset it.

What is exactly the limitation?

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Hello, I have a 2019 Touring. I had remote started my car for 5 minutes and then extended it for 10 more minutes. Then I ended up not taking the car so I let it die. Few hours after I tried to remote start and the car wouldn't do anything. Then I tried with the app and it told me I had too many remote starts and I needed to turn the car on and off to reset it.

One 10-minute extension (20 minutes total) for remote start. Then the car needs to be started manually to reset the remote engine starter, if you want to use it again.

·
Registered
206 Posts

One 10-minute extension (20 minutes total) for remote start. Then the car needs to be started manually to reset the remote engine starter, if you want to use it again.
Thank you. Pretty restrictive if you ask me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm pretty sure the remote start on the Insight does not use the ICE for heat but it has an electric cabin heater. The reason I think this is because when I use it, the heat immediately starts coming out of the vents. As you know, with a traditional heater in a car, it takes a while for the engine to heat up and the heat to get to the cabin. Not so with the Insight. The heat starts immediately. ICE does indeed come on after a bit but only to help recharge the battery.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm pretty sure the remote start on the Insight does not use the ICE for heat but it has an electric cabin heater. The reason I think this is because when I use it, the heat immediately starts coming out of the vents. As you know, with a traditional heater in a car, it takes a while for the engine to heat up and the heat to get to the cabin. Not so with the Insight. The heat starts immediately. ICE does indeed come on after a bit but only to help recharge the battery.
Weird that you observed that. For me, the ICE starts 100% with remote start when it's cold outside and it takes up to 10 minutes in cold weather for good heat to come out. On a frigid day it actually took 15 minutes to reach 60. The car actually knows that and the heater fan is very low until the ICE is hot enough. Maybe your engine was somehow still warm from previous use when you noticed?

Interesting stuff that our car does NOT do ;-) https://www.tesla.com/blog/blowing-hot-and-cold

·
Registered
143 Posts
for pre heating only. check out p/n: 79910-TES-H01

Heater PTC. looks like a grid with electrical connectors.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~79910-tes-h01.html

this civic forum suggests recirculation mode needs to be selected. that is also the suggestion in the Insight manual for most rapid defrosting. and selected automagically by remote start if im not mistaken.

https://www.civinfo.com/threads/ptc-heater-how-hot.301617/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts