Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I start noticing a humming sound when i get up to 25 mph and is louder when going at higher speeds like 60/70 mph. I've never noticed the sound before, but it sounds like an electric motor spinning. Probably will take this issue in to get looked at. Anybody know what part is right under the middle back seat?

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
There is a fan which cools the L-Ion battery under the rear seat. The vent for it is just above the "hump."

There should be no relation between this and vehicle speed with maybe the exception of increased load causing it to heat up and need more cooling. I have heard mine when stopped with the ICE off, but do not recall hearing it whilst driving. Put your ear to the vent while stopped and see if the sound is similar.

I can't think of anything else that would cause such a noise from that area.

·
Super Moderator
2,345 Posts
So today I start noticing a humming sound when i get up to 25 mph and is louder when going at higher speeds like 60/70 mph. I've never noticed the sound before, but it sounds like an electric motor spinning. Probably will take this issue in to get looked at. Anybody know what part is right under the middle back seat?
I don't hear a sound coming from the rear on mine that gets louder as I drive faster. Maybe when you got rear ended all that force damaged the fan motor? I can see the fan spinning faster to cool the battery as you drive faster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a fan which cools the L-Ion battery under the rear seat. The vent for it is just above the "hump."

There should be no relation between this and vehicle speed with maybe the exception of increased load causing it to heat up and need more cooling. I have heard mine when stopped with the ICE off, but do not recall hearing it whilst driving. Put your ear to the vent while stopped and see if the sound is similar.

I can't think of anything else that would cause such a noise from that area.
I've been driving all day, over 200 miles. Its definitely only heard when my car picks up speed. It sounds like one of those motors from a toy electric car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't hear a sound coming from the rear on mine that gets louder as I drive faster. Maybe when you got rear ended all that force damaged the fan motor? I can see the fan spinning faster to cool the battery as you drive faster.
Possible

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
A few questions...
1 - Are you hearing the sound with the radio on or off?
2 - Are you in any particular mode (econ, EV, normal, spot) when the sound occurs?
3 - Is the sound coming solely from under the back middle seat?

Here's a diagram @andrew28 shared on the set-up for the HV battery in the Accord Hybrid: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/9158-post2.html

There was prior post/thread mentioning speed-related vibration noises, but it was believed to be coming from engine versus interior: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/2450-vibration-humming-sound-30-mph.html

May or not be related... but Honda mentions that there are unique/unfamiliar sounds for the Insight as part of the "Sport Hybrid i-MMD System." When I first got the Insight, I drove with the radio system off to get familiar and would hear 'whirring' sounds that sounded like low pitched Jetson's-car humming (not from the external acoustic vehicle alerting system). But it was consistent and related to speed, so I grew comfortable with it... and now drive around with my radio on (volume level 8-10) and don't notice it at all.

===
And separately, when the car is stopped/parked, there is a buzzing sound that will occur as the car runs through its evaporation leakage check: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-2019-powertrain-technical-discussion/256-evaporation-leak-check-module-buzzing-sound-when-car-off-idle.html

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possible
The sound is heard on all modes, and I hear it with the radio off. I can still hear it with the radio on but it's not as bothersome. It's definitely coming from the back middle seat cause i can tilt my back there and the sound is much clearer in the back than in the front.

I don't think its an engine issue, I get up to 60 mph and when I take my foot off the gas pedal, the sound continues. As I apply the breaks and my wheels start to slow the sound starts to dissipate with it, you can tell the sound is related to how fast I'm going.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
The sound is heard on all modes, and I hear it with the radio off. I can still hear it with the radio on but it's not as bothersome. It's definitely coming from the back middle seat cause i can tilt my back there and the sound is much clearer in the back than in the front.

I don't think its an engine issue, I get up to 60 mph and when I take my foot off the gas pedal, the sound continues. As I apply the breaks and my wheels start to slow the sound starts to dissipate with it, you can tell the sound is related to how fast I'm going.
As @hasarad mentioned, it's unlikely you're hearing anything related to the HV battery under the rear seats. If you're certain the noise is coming from the rear-half and speed related, it's more likely something mechanical (e.g. driveshaft, axle, differential, u-joint)... which could relate to the rear impact incident(s).

Even with (or especially if?) the assumption you were rear-ended, it's worth having the car checked for internal signs of body damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Humming Sound

As @hasarad mentioned, it's unlikely you're hearing anything related to the HV battery under the rear seats. If you're certain the noise is coming from the rear-half and speed related, it's more likely something mechanical (e.g. driveshaft, axle, differential, u-joint)... which could relate to the rear impact incident(s).

Even with (or especially if?) the assumption you were rear-ended, it's worth having the car checked for internal signs of body damage.
I've noticed the humming sound from the rear seats too. The only time it's really loud is when the outside temperature is over 90 degress. If you place your hand in front of the rear vents (below the rear seats) you can feel the air blowing.

Rich

·
Registered
59 Posts
Would you be able to record the sound from the back seat while driving at various speeds (maybe using a cell phone)?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine is very quiet (I can't even hear it when it is pulling a lot of air). I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. There was another post somewhere where someone had something that was hitting the blades of the fan..

I have noticed that the fan is definitely running full steam when you are driving on the highway 65-70 (the car alternates between ice/charge to ev mode at those speeds) as the battery is charging and discharging constantly.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Mine is very quiet (I can't even hear it when it is pulling a lot of air). I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. There was another post somewhere where someone had something that was hitting the blades of the fan..

I have noticed that the fan is definitely running full steam when you are driving on the highway 65-70 (the car alternates between ice/charge to ev mode at those speeds) as the battery is charging and discharging constantly.
Hmm... I could very well be mistaken, but I don't recall mention of noise caused by blade contact with battery fan. Do you recall where it was mentioned, or maybe a cross-reference from different forum?

The cooling fan is technically offset from center, toward the right/passenger side of car. The intake is at the center vent, outlet ducts are to the right and left of center, and the cooling fan is mostly below the passenger side rear seat area. - https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2019-honda-insight-4dr_ex-ka-cvt/ipu-cooling-fan.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After hearing it all day yesterday, the sound stopped on my last drive home. Now haven't heard it all day today... so weird

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
After hearing it all day yesterday, the sound stopped on my last drive home. Now haven't heard it all day today... so weird
Posting to forum wards off all evils...:devil:

Is the temperature in your area cooler today versus yesterday - which could make a difference if sound was related to battery cooling fan running?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posting to forum wards off all evils...[img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/img]

Is the temperature in your area cooler today versus yesterday - which could make a difference if sound was related to battery cooling fan running?
Lol nope, I'm in soCal. Weather was pretty much the same yesterday and today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine has been having all sorts of issues. I can hear creaking noises all the time(sounds like a cable being pulled taught almost) and the ride quality has gone down significantly from when I first got it. I just hit 40k miles. Thinking maybe transmission fluid needs to be replaced. I've taken my car in to Honda 5 times regarding this issue. First 4 times, I was told they could not duplicate, and this last time 2 technicians drove it and both said they could feel it, but didn't know what was causing it. I'm close to beginning Lemon Law proceedings regarding it. Don't know if I want to spend $300 tho for the transmission fluid to be changed if I'm going to have to take litigious action soon. Anyone else having any issues like that? Or CV Axle issues?

·
Super Moderator
2,345 Posts
Mine has been having all sorts of issues. I can hear creaking noises all the time(sounds like a cable being pulled taught almost) and the ride quality has gone down significantly from when I first got it. I just hit 40k miles. Thinking maybe transmission fluid needs to be replaced. I've taken my car in to Honda 5 times regarding this issue. First 4 times, I was told they could not duplicate, and this last time 2 technicians drove it and both said they could feel it, but didn't know what was causing it. I'm close to beginning Lemon Law proceedings regarding it. Don't know if I want to spend $300 tho for the transmission fluid to be changed if I'm going to have to take litigious action soon. Anyone else having any issues like that? Or CV Axle issues?
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 47,500 miles or 3 years (76,000 km or 3 years).
$300 for a transmission fluid change on the Insight? :eek: Have you try NCDS?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Are the creaking noises while driving (vs braking)? And for ride quality, are you describing something mechanical (transmission, shifting, smoothness) rather than suspension-related? I'm not having issues like those nor CV axle problems, but I'm also not (yet) at 40k miles...

Honda mentions changing the transmission fluid at 47.5k miles or 3 years for cars in 'severe' operating conditions (p 559 - mountainous areas at low speeds). If this describes part of your driving conditions, you'd be approaching the point for suggested fluid change. The Inverter and DC-to-DC converter are both also cooled by the automatic transmission fluid.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are the creaking noises while driving (vs braking)? And for ride quality, are you describing something mechanical (transmission, shifting, smoothness) rather than suspension-related? I'm not having issues like those nor CV axle problems, but I'm also not (yet) at 40k miles...

Honda mentions changing the transmission fluid at 47.5k miles or 3 years for cars in 'severe' operating conditions (p 559 - mountainous areas at low speeds). If this describes part of your driving conditions, you'd be approaching the point for suggested fluid change. The Inverter and DC-to-DC converter are both also cooled by the automatic transmission fluid.
EEEK! Insightfully!! I never correct you but the DC to DC converter/Inverter unit are cooled by their own separate cooling system with their own water pump along with a tiny heat exchanger near the bottom - driver side bumper - not the ATF..

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can't where I read that at but it was on here. I remember there was an attempted youtube video to show the sound but it was hard to hear. They took it in and it ended up being a piece of paper or debris..

Looking at the pictures you posted, it shows the battery exhaust seems to point forward. Any ideas on where exactly the exhaust is located on the car? More for curiosity than anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts