Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my OBDII reader, the battery drains about 0.8-1.3A when the car is idling (with gas engine off). This is without any AC, heater, fans, USB charging, seat heating or anything. Since the battery is at about 230V, we are talking about a 230W idling drain, which seems like a lot? I've actually clocked about 1m20s per percent of the HV battery lost when at a red light. Nothing crazy but not negligible for very long lights or if you're talking to a friend and you don't want to turn off/on the car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We would have to know which battery it is showing that is draining at about 1 amp. If it is the 12v battery, sounds pretty normal for keeping all the computers running, 12 watts. But then 230 watts for computers is not all that high either.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the high voltage battery. I mean there is a lot going on with the screens, the sensors, the lights, having the engine ready to go... Seems a little high though

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's the high voltage battery. I mean there is a lot going on with the screens, the sensors, the lights, having the engine ready to go... Seems a little high though
It may be a little high, but we do not have to depend on the HV battery for powering the car in the long run.. Also something to think about - engine monitoring etc will be higher than a purely EV vehicle so there is that as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
According to my OBDII reader, the battery drains about 0.8-1.3A when the car is idling (with gas engine off). This is without any AC, heater, fans, USB charging, seat heating or anything. Since the battery is at about 230V, we are talking about a 230W idling drain, which seems like a lot? I've actually clocked about 1m20s per percent of the HV battery lost when at a red light. Nothing crazy but not negligible for very long lights or if you're talking to a friend and you don't want to turn off/on the car.
Тhe HV battery was charging a 12-volt battery at that moment, and that 12-volt battery was supplying all the car's systems.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If we assume that the 12V battery is charged at 2A (Portable Jump Starter for 12V Battery), that'd be 24W, which would be only 0.1A from the HV battery (24W/230V) so I doubt that's the 12V charging only.

Also, when in Accessory mode, all screens are on but the car just get energy from the 12V, which again if we assume a couple of Amp, should be less than 50W.

Could it be that the "drain" is just a consequence of the battery needed to deliver 100A in a split second if necessary?

·
Registered
331 Posts
The 12 volt battery is only used in any automotive application to power accessories and computer systems until the car is turned on. Inside the hybrid electronics is a DC-DC converter. When you turn your car on, you may noticed your map lights actually brighten up a bit. This is the DC-DC converter taking over the 12 volt battery duties. In this case, you are in fact getting power directly from the HV battery system. The DC-DC converter also operates a charging system designed specially for the AGM battery our cars use. They have a special way to charge that is different from a typical lead acid battery but I would venture that they use very little energy to charge - even after initial startup as they do not have to crank over a energy draining starter. Whatever energy you are calculating being used - is indeed being used by the computers, screens and electronics in the car - water pumps, fans, etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Also - think about the camera, radar, power steering, brake system - all these things are electrical systems pulling down on the system even at idle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts