Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wonder if we need to clean the HV battery fan in the future like the 2nd gen Prius.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Clean+Battery+Fan+2009+2010+2011+2012+2013+2014+2015+Toyota+Prius/95590
Interesting, I never once cleaned the HV battery fan in our 2nd gen Prius or even knew about it. Maybe the service department did. I can now pretty conclusively say that our Prius got slightly better winter city mileage when it was new or 9 years old than our new Insight gets. Most of our trips are 8-15 miles around town. Prius routinely got low 40s when it was below freezing, Insight Touring is lucky to get 40, routinely in the high 30s on the same trips. Both rated EPA 51 mpg city. Not all that significant I know, but it's certainly not better than the Prius like it is around town in the summer.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I never once cleaned the HV battery fan in our 2nd gen Prius or even knew about it. Maybe the service department did. I can now pretty conclusively say that our Prius got slightly better winter city mileage when it was new or 9 years old than our new Insight gets. Most of our trips are 8-15 miles around town. Prius routinely got low 40s when it was below freezing, Insight Touring is lucky to get 40, routinely in the high 30s on the same trips. Both rated EPA 51 mpg city. Not all that significant I know, but it's certainly not better than the Prius like it is around town in the summer.
Doesn't the 2nd gen Prius have 15" wheels vs the 17" on your Touring Insight?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Doesn't the 2nd gen Prius have 15" wheels vs the 17" on your Touring Insight?
Yes, though same EPA city mpg.

Oddly I could have sworn I was in the winter fuel economy thread and replied to the HV fan comment thinking it was related to the cold weather mileage somehow. Must have misclicked. So, sorry for off topic fuel economy stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, though same EPA city mpg.

Oddly I could have sworn I was in the winter fuel economy thread and replied to the HV fan comment thinking it was related to the cold weather mileage somehow. Must have misclicked. So, sorry for off topic fuel economy stuff.
Yep, you're right.

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts