Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has not had to use her insight in a couple of weeks. That got me to thinking how often she should start the car in order to maintain HV battery.
Couldn't easily find a recommendation from Honda and wondering how long you Insight owners have gone between starting the car (and thereby charging the battery). Is it any different than a car without a HV battery?

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Honda recommends running the car (idle) for a longer period (30 minutes) once every 3 months to maintain HV battery charge. Some forum members planned to "lay up" their Insights for ~6 months, so there was some discussion in the following thread - How to trickle charge 12v when laying up Insight

From OM pg 477:

Toyota makes similar recommendation for maximum time interval to keep HV battery charged for their hybrids as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
I've been doing 10 mile drives on the highway (after 3 days of non-driving) and sometimes stop at dunkin donuts ;) before heading back home. To get the rust off the rotors from rain and keep the 12v + high voltage battery charged. Gas is cheap and it's nice driving on an empty highway at your own pace listening to music.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all your responses. I missed the recommendation on the owners manual of 30 minutes in 3 months. Interesting info on the Prius as well. I'm interested in maximizing the health of the battery and have "suggested" my daughter drive it a little every week or two. She parks it in a car port and don't want her to find out that not using the car frequently affects battery life or discover a rats nest under the hood.

This hybrid stuff is all very new to me and I feel like it's better to be conservative with such a new model.

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
Keep in mind that recommendation is for the high voltage battery. The Insight also has a 12v agm battery and that one will drain way quicker. If that battery fails you won't be able to start the vehicle or start having electrical problems as reported by other owners.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
The good news is that the HV battery recharges the 12V battery via DC-to-DC converter (OM pg 9), so running the car periodically should help keep both reasonably healthy.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Quoting another suggestion on use of Sport mode from @Mobilcams from a separate thread on 12V battery specs:

"You shouldn't be worried about the AGM battery as much as you should the HV lithium ion battery. [...] Personally I would probably leave the car in Sport mode, and let it idle until the battery is topped off a bit. In normal driving, it seems to like to leave the battery around the 4 bar mark. 40-60 percent charge is ideal for long term storage of lithium batteries."

I like the idea of charging up the HV and 12V batteries up quickly, especially after long periods of not driving. But I wonder if Sport mode is the "fast charging" equivalent for a cell phone, where there's an extra "cost" (shortens battery life) with use...?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Be careful with the battery tender.. Remember these cars have an AGM battery in them. Make sure if you use a battery tender - it is designed for use with the battery in our cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts