Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confirming that there isn't a battery programming or design difference in the "longer warranty" states (CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA), as I'm part of this state list and see "full battery charge" regularly while in Econ mode.

Driving style, environmental conditions, and route/terrain are the more likely factors for reported battery (and mpg) variability.

For those wondering what this "longer warranty" talk is all about, follow link below - where we who live in the "B" states mentioned above have a longer year/miles coverage for "emissions-related" warranty items: http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/2019_Honda_Insight_-_EWPL_APL08356_SIS.pdf
Wow. I live in NJ. I was under the impression the high-capacity battery was only covered for 8 years or 80K miles. The link states 15 years or 150K miles. Was my dealer wrong in telling me 8/80?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Wow. I live in NJ. I was under the impression the high-capacity battery was only covered for 8 years or 80K miles. The link states 15 years or 150K miles. Was my dealer wrong in telling me 8/80?
The 8yr/80k is the minimum general coverage so technically your dealer was right... but missed sharing that you qualify for extended coverage since you're part of a "B" state (CA, CT, DE, ME, MD< MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA). It's a little hard to catch but the extended emissions coverage is 15yr/150k EXCEPT for the Battery Assembly (and internal components) which is 10yr/150k. Since this is the only 10-year coverage listed, I believe this is what Phil is referring to when he questioned the difference with NY/CA 10-year warranty.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I find it interesting that the hybrid battery warranty doesn’t cover “expected capacity loss”, but doesn’t specify how much is to be expected.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find it interesting that the hybrid battery warranty doesn’t cover “expected capacity loss”, but doesn’t specify how much is to be expected.
"expected capacity loss” is akin to "normal wear and tear." Just like tire and bake wear aren't covered, neither is the battery wear (to a point).

·
Registered
354 Posts
My wife bought a new gen 1 Insight in 2006. Drove it mostly on two lane highway at around 60mph. She sold it at 106,000 miles because signs of the battery "fading" occurred. Lifetime mpg was 54.5! The new owner replaced the battery at 108,000 at a cost of $4.5 - $5,000.

In 2010 I bought a gen 2 Insight (# 77 off the assembly line BTW). I sold it to my daughter, who sold it recently at 120,000 miles with no signs of battery problems.

Both cars used old tech. nickel hydride batteries. The gen 3 uses Li ion, which may be better tech., I notice the gen3 battery charges up faster. FYI

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Both cars used old tech. nickel hydride batteries. The gen 3 uses Li ion, which may be better tech., I notice the gen3 battery charges up faster. FYI
How would you classify/compare the extent of battery charge/drain cycling on each of the gens? Does the Li Ion both charge and drain faster than the NiMH?

'Battery University' mentions heat and number of discharge cycles as predictors for Li Ion battery longevity. I'm curious as to how you see these factors compared to your prior high voltage batteries that lasted 100k+ miles...

·
Registered
354 Posts
How would you classify/compare the extent of battery charge/drain cycling on each of the gens? Does the Li Ion both charge and drain faster than the NiMH?

'Battery University' mentions heat and number of discharge cycles as predictors for Li Ion battery longevity. I'm curious as to how you see these factors compared to your prior high voltage batteries that lasted 100k+ miles...
Thank you for interesting questions.

All I'm saying is based just on my driving experience, without any technical reading or other research (although years ago I was responsible for maintenance of a bank of nickel hydride batteries while in USAF). My impression is that the Li battery charges faster and drains at about the same rate as the NiMH.

The gen 2 is harder to get into ev mode. So the gen3 is doing more charging and discharging. However a charge / discharge cycle used to be defined as a discharge state where nearly zero juice remained. Both the gen 2 and gen3 have protections to prevent that nearly fully discharged state from occurring. My gen 2 would often get to a fully charged state, and sometimes hold it for awhile. Not a problem in my experience with nickel hydride batteries.

Based on media reports of Boeing's heat problems with Li battery on their new plane a few years ago (a 757 or 767?), Li batteries will build up a lot of heat if their asked to hold a full charge for a long time. The gen 3 seems to be set up to prevent that from happening, so I wouldn't be concerned about it unless the system is being abused or highly stressed in very high heat conditions (say fully charged AND 125 degree heat sitting in the sun for hours and no ventilation).

·
Registered
146 Posts
It says at THIS LINK (3rd paragraph down) that "Honda gave Insight a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty on its battery" Is it true that the battery on my 2019 Insight EX has such a warranty?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
It says at THIS LINK (3rd paragraph down) that "Honda gave Insight a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty on its battery" Is it true that the battery on my 2019 Insight EX has such a warranty?
All Honda Hybrids receive standard HV battery coverage for 8yr/80k miles. In select states with extended emissions warranty, the HV battery coverage is extended to 10yr/150k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts