Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
First impressions:
- The new Ioniq looks to me like a blended Corolla Hybrid and Toyota Prius
- The backend looks too high and C-pillar too large, resulting very small rear windows
- While the interior is improved, it still looks really "basic."
- It looks like it also adopted a push-button gear selector, though the center console design wasn't very efficient or elegant looking.
- Is the black "overhang hook" in the center console the parking brake? If so - yuck!

The only thing I like from first impression is the more compact size of the car, compared to the Insight. It would have been my preferred vehicle size if available from Honda.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gear selector does look kind of weird. Park is above Neutral. Reverse seems to be on the left of Neutral and Drive is on the right of Neutral? The parking brake is all the way in the back. Right below what appears to be the controls for the seat warmers and heated side mirrors. Not sure what that overhang hook right behind the Neutral button is for.

I do like the full screen digital speedometer. I think the new ioniq is a good choice if you must get a hatch.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Totally agree with @insightfully: improved, but still basic-looking interior. Still looks like a hybrid car, which must be a deliberate choice at this point.

Can't stand the faux grilles that Hyundai and Kia are using for BEVs. They look poor up close and don't create a grille effect from far away either.

Would not know what to do with the thing in the middle.

The weather app on the center display caught my eye. I keep wishing that Apple would allow CarPlay weather apps.

Hyundai's GUI on the driver display and the center display really needs some styling. When things are flat like that it's hard to appreciate the structure of the data you're being presented.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The weather app on the center display caught my eye. I keep wishing that Apple would allow CarPlay weather apps.
I think you can ask siri what the weather is going to be like when in CarPlay. Rumors are circulating that iOS 13 will bring a new interface to CarPlay. I have been considering an Android device for Android Auto because I can utilize the DII with Waze/Google Maps even on the EX trim. Also noticed you can put a weather widget on the Android Auto home screen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When looking at cars to buy I was looking on the highway and roads to see what else is out there. I've seen some Hynduia Ioniqs (my other choice) but never saw an Insight. In my work parking lot I tried to find one since there are tons of hybrids and electrics here, but nobody has a insight. I'm the first one in my area that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I've only seen one Ioniq. As cool as it looked, my wife's last car was a Hyundai, and reliability suffered - bigly - to the point her Sonata was unsafe (fuel pump cracked/fumes in the cabin, failed struts pre-90K causeing unanticipated left turns under heavy braking). I was all for the brand due to the low cost, but the safety issues turned me away. She was a Honda girl through and through. She only got the Hyundai as it was given to her from her parent's estate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts