Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2019 EX Insight. Which specific bulbs or strings are supposed to be lit up? Are they really difficult to see? "Enlightenment" will be appreciated. Wow, so much to learn

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's a strip that runs the bottom edge of the light, turning up towards the corner by the indicator. It's not hard to see at all. The actual headlights are just below the chrome wing, above the daytime running lights. They are exceptionally bright.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
See attached for a quick diagram. The daytime running lights are the thin perimeter strip of lights that runs just below the headlight area on each side.

The daytime running lights turn on automatically when the following conditions are true: car is turned on, the headlight switch is in Auto or Off, AND the parking brake is released.

They turn off when the car is powered off OR when the headlights are turned on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Thanks for replies. Mine don't seem to be working. Will need to see dealer.
Bummer... the DRL are pretty cool looking... hope you get a chance to see them working on your car soon! On a positive note (?), DRL's are optional in the U.S. (vs required in Canada since 1989), so at least you're not out of legal compliance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Watching me drive towards her, my lady friend tells me that the DRLs are working just fine

I'm glad, but I don't understand why I can't see them lit while the car is sitting at rest in my driveway

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Watching me drive towards her, my lady friend tells me that the DRLs are working just fine

I'm glad, but I don't understand why I can't see them lit while the car is sitting at rest in my driveway
Do you run your headlights on Auto setting? If so, maybe if it's dark when/where you're parking, the headlights turn on and the daytime running lights are therefore off (?). My DRL stay on until the car is powered down.

·
Registered
836 Posts

Do you just turn the car on, and then look for them?

If the car hasn't been shifted into gear, and the parking brake is set, they do not turn on. If you adjust the dial to on, than back to auto they should come on, without needing to drive the car...

Best way to see them for yourself.

Start the car, make sure the parking brake is not on, shift the car to any gear, put in back in park. They should be on. You can also put the car in neutral, then set the parking brake.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Saw a lady driving a modern steel Insight with just the DRLs on tonight and a Porsche going the wrong way.
OMG, I've totally done the DRL-only thing. The DRLs are are so bright compared to halogen bulbs at night that I thought the headlights were on, 3 miles into a drive. (Recall I'm one of those people who manually run the headlights and dislikes the Auto feature.) But actually turning the Insight's headlights on was totally 'enlightening' though; made me say "WOW" realizing how effective both the DRL and headlights are separately, ha.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
OMG, I've totally done the DRL-only thing. The DRLs are are so bright compared to halogen bulbs at night that I thought the headlights were on, 3 miles into a drive. (Recall I'm one of those people who manually run the headlights and dislikes the Auto feature.) But actually turning the Insight's headlights on was totally 'enlightening' though; made me say "WOW" realizing how effective both the DRL and headlights are separately, ha.
Sometimes I will pull over to wait for someone and switch over to parking lights(essentially DRLs and the tail lights stay on) from low beams. Then I drive off again without realizing for a few miles I need to switch back to low beams. I don't think I've driven with just the DRLs and no tail lights on because I would notice the brighter instrument panel & infotainment screen.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you not like the auto mode? I've been using it for over a year now. The LED lights barely use the energy regular headlights use and I have mine set to turn off after 30 seconds. At one point in my life I did have a car that had automatic headlights - but it had regular halogen bulbs - I set it to turn off the lights as soon as I turned off the car so I didn't run down the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you not like the auto mode? I've been using it for over a year now. The LED lights barely use the energy regular headlights use and I have mine set to turn off after 30 seconds. At one point in my life I did have a car that had automatic headlights - but it had regular halogen bulbs - I set it to turn off the lights as soon as I turned off the car so I didn't run down the battery.
I switch on/off my headlights manually, too. Part of it is by habit and the other part is that I don't like the headlights going off/on in certain situations where you're only driving in darker areas for a short amount of time.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Mostly old-school habit and personal preference. I just like to know and control when my headlights are on/off. I still have older Hondas and choose to manage the headlights in the same way.

Maybe one day the Insight's auto-headlights will grow on me, but I'd definitely disable the auto-highbeams before doing so. That 'feature' annoys me to no end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts