Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team!

I went to Joyce Honda in Denville, NJ to visit my favorite car salesman today (bought 4 cars in the last 15 years) in an attempt to buy a car for my son who is about to get his license. After realizing the price difference was <$4K between a new car vs. a certified one, I inquired about a 2021 Insight. Long story short, my son, Brendan is now the proud owner of Simcoe ('19 Insight EX), and I have a soon-to-be-named '21 Insight. Downside is that my new Insight has a black interior (not a biggie). The upside is I now have blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic detection. I was going to buy my son a GenX Civic. I feel better knowing he has better safety features (CMBS and better headlights) in his Insight. The most noticeable difference is that the '21 insight's wheels are black instead of grey (grey wins). If you ever need a new Honda and you live in New Jersey, see Joe San Roman at Joyce Honda in Denville, NJ. He'll hook you up! #imnotfatimbigboned

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Wow, congrats! Dual/expanded Insight ownership is another good reason you're a moderator here... You're ALL-in! Look forward to hearing your observations/comparisons between the 2019 and 2021.

Did you stay with white exterior (Platinum) and EX trim level for your new 2021 model? With your well-documented Fuelly results, your son has big mpg-shoes to fill on Simcoe; hopefully he can do it justice!

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did indeed get my new Insight in Platinum White (because white is awesome and doesn't show dirt). Side by side it's hard to tell the difference between the two. My trip home (80% highway) got me a 61.5mpg result. Considering the car is new, and my previous driving experiences, it seems to stack up to Simcoe's results. While I miss lane-watch, the blind spot monitoring is just as good - if not better. It's not worth the cost of upgrade by itself though. The black interior is the biggest change I need to get used to. I have Shetland Sheepdogs, so black shows everything! All-in-all, I'm a happy guy. Although my son doesn't say it, he appears to love his new (to him) car. His mom drove Simcoe home from the dealer, and now she wants an Insight Touring (sunroof is a must-have for her). My younger son will be getting his license in a little over a year, so she can pass down her '18 Civic and upgrade at that time. Her commute is 80% of my previous commute, so the 40mpg she currently gets in her '18 Civic should get into the 60s based on my previous experience on the same route. Gas is pushing $3 a gallon now, so the Insight wins in that department.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For my next trick, I'll try to get my son to open a fuelly.com account where I can transfer Simcoe to him. I doubt he'll be a religious about entering fuel-up data though. I'll be updating my fuelly.com signature to my new Insight once my daughter helps pick a name for my new Insight. Simcoe is a type of hops, so you can guess the genre I'm hoping for. That said, I'm open to a few other names related to spirits.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels!!! I was at my local dealer for an oil change and they had a white 2021 Touring.

My daughter turns 13 in June and has already hinted at wanting my 2020 Touring when she gets her license

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
It would've been amazing for me if the 3rd gen Insight was my first car. :D Looking forward to see if you discover anything new with the 2021 Insight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did indeed get my new Insight in Platinum White (because white is awesome and doesn't show dirt). Side by side it's hard to tell the difference between the two. My trip home (80% highway) got me a 61.5mpg result. Considering the car is new, and my previous driving experiences, it seems to stack up to Simcoe's results. While I miss lane-watch, the blind spot monitoring is just as good - if not better. It's not worth the cost of upgrade by itself though. The black interior is the biggest change I need to get used to. I have Shetland Sheepdogs, so black shows everything! All-in-all, I'm a happy guy. Although my son doesn't say it, he appears to love his new (to him) car. His mom drove Simcoe home from the dealer, and now she wants an Insight Touring (sunroof is a must-have for her). My younger son will be getting his license in a little over a year, so she can pass down her '18 Civic and upgrade at that time. Her commute is 80% of my previous commute, so the 40mpg she currently gets in her '18 Civic should get into the 60s based on my previous experience on the same route. Gas is pushing $3 a gallon now, so the Insight wins in that department.
Congrats on the new ride! I'll be looking forward to your meticulous fuelly statistics. Would you mind sharing your OTD pricing and incentives in the EX pricing topic? I'll be shopping soon enough and I'd love to see how the inventory status affects deals being made.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer had 4 Insights in the lot - 3 EX and 1 LX - no Tourings. I wanted a white EX, and they had two. I got $750 dealer incentive and 0.9% (which I should pay off in a month or two. OTD including 4 year registration tax, tags and 7yr/100Mi warranty was $26K. Spare setup would have been $350 extra (and they didn't have it in stock), so I'm going to go the wrecking yard route for that again.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Dealer had 4 Insights in the lot - 3 EX and 1 LX - no Tourings. I wanted a white EX, and they had two. I got $750 dealer incentive and 0.9% (which I should pay off in a month or two. OTD including 4 year registration tax, tags and 7yr/100Mi warranty was $26K. Spare setup would have been $350 extra (and they didn't have it in stock), so I'm going to go the wrecking yard route for that again.
Was there an upcharge / line-item for the white exterior, as listed on Honda US site? (Cosmic Blue, Radiant Red, Platinum White 'premium' exterior colors at +$395)

Also out of curiosity, have you looked at serial number yet, to determine when in production sequence your new Insight was made (i.e. how many 2021's did Honda make in total)? Jan 2021 is almost a year (10 mo) into production and nearly fresh off the line.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was there an upcharge / line-item for the white exterior, as listed on Honda US site? (Cosmic Blue, Radiant Red, Platinum White 'premium' exterior colors at +$395)

Also out of curiosity, have you looked at serial number yet, to determine when in production sequence your new Insight was made (i.e. how many 2021's did Honda make in total)? Jan 2021 is almost a year (10 mo) into production and nearly fresh off the line.
Sorry @insightfully - I just noticed your post. The windows sticker indeed shows a $395 line-item for the PWP paint. It's the best color, so well worth the price!

The serial of my 2021 EX is #009181.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not interested in the white exterior, but is there any discernable difference between the Orchid White Pearl and Platinum White Pearl?

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not interested in the white exterior, but is there any discernable difference between the Orchid White Pearl and Platinum White Pearl?
Unless parked right next to each other, you'd never notice a difference. OWP is a slight touch warmer in color than PWP.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
@andrew28 posted a comparison between the white paints, when the change was made in 2020. Hard to tell full effect without seeing oneself, but helpful to see the white paint samples posted next to each other on a color wheel for relative effect.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The PWP on the color wheel sample looks much flatter than my car's PWP. Mine seems to have more sparkle.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting there with the 2021 Insight. My old 2019 (Simcoe) is with my son at college and hasn't moved in a month. Today, I got best tank so far with the '21 (Tegridy). Just as pleased as I was with my first Gen3 Insight.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Circle

Reactions: Jet'ro
1 - 17 of 17 Posts