Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my first glitch since the software update. After I turned right (and the lane view switched off), apple carplay had a blank screen but the music continued. The screen would go back to the Honda menu just fine, but apple car play was blank. I had this happen on the previous version - and had to force a reboot to get carplay to work again. This has only happened once in the year and 40,000 miles I have driven my car so my experience isn't that deep. I came to a red light (they are long in Florida) and turned off the car for about 30 seconds - when I turned it back on, everything was fine again. One side note here - even with the previous software, it was the switch from lane view back to carplay where the glitch happened. It is a very rare event for me - and I liken it to wifi glitching out in the house every once in a while. It's inconvenient - but resolvable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I had my first glitch since the software update. After I turned right (and the lane view switched off), apple carplay had a blank screen but the music continued. The screen would go back to the Honda menu just fine, but apple car play was blank. I had this happen on the previous version - and had to force a reboot to get carplay to work again. This has only happened once in the year and 40,000 miles I have driven my car so my experience isn't that deep. I came to a red light (they are long in Florida) and turned off the car for about 30 seconds - when I turned it back on, everything was fine again. One side note here - even with the previous software, it was the switch from lane view back to carplay where the glitch happened. It is a very rare event for me - and I liken it to wifi glitching out in the house every once in a while. It's inconvenient - but resolvable.
I had the infotainment crash a week after software update. I was listening to music using bluetooth with my iphone XR. I can't be sure if it crashed before the lane view activated or after. Hasn't happened again.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,907 Posts
A few days after getting the update my infotainment system froze on the warning disclaimer prompt as I turned on my car. It fixed itself with a reboot after about a minute. Earlier today my Apple CarPlay disconnected by itself so it doesn't look like that is fully fix...

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
703 Posts
Have had 3 crashes since the system update. Two of them are sound related crashes where the sound refused to work at all then the head unit crashed. Guess Honda didn't fix anything.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
347 Posts
Bad news... the infotainment system still has the reboot issue on my 2019 Touring. So far in 2 weeks, it happened once while I while reversing. It has not happened while cruising (yet?).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Damn that sucks to hear the reboot issue and whatever other issues the software update was suppose to fix but, didn't...

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
Maybe a wild theory... but especially since people are reporting the listed changes didn't take effect... I'm wondering if a factory reboot is needed to make the software update fully effective (?). Kind of like after installing a new program on a PC, where re-start is needed to complete activation. Has anyone attempted this and still had issue after software update?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Maybe a wild theory... but especially since people are reporting the listed changes didn't take effect... I'm wondering if a factory reboot is needed to make the software update fully effective (?). Kind of like after installing a new program on a PC, where re-start is needed to complete activation. Has anyone attempted this and still had issue after software update?
I actually thought about that... but it does reboot when it installs. Maybe it needs one more reboot? Also when it crashes, does that count as a reboot?

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
I actually thought about that... but it does reboot when it installs. Maybe it needs one more reboot? Also when it crashes, does that count as a reboot?
Both seem to be 'soft' reboots since settings are left in tact. Factory reboot would've cleared any personal settings.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
703 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you're grasping at straws here. I think we all suspect the truth that Honda hasn't a clue how to fix these problems or they are much more complex than just a one update fix. Hopefully they will stick to this system long enough that fixes for newer cars will work their way down to us old car owners.

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you're grasping at straws here. I think we all suspect the truth that Honda hasn't a clue how to fix these problems or they are much more complex than just a one update fix. Hopefully they will stick to this system long enough that fixes for newer cars will work their way down to us old car owners.
As mentioned above, a wild theory... just a suggestion/question, given lack of other current options.

The Insight's system is closely related to the Accord's system, and with Honda considering the Accord one of their "flagship" models, the chances are high that we'll benefit along the way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Man the recent update is a huge failure.... the freaking volume issue is sooo annoying with Apple carplay. Its completely broken. I have to unplug and plug in my phone 3-4 times to get the volume to work correctly. Such a fail honda...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man the recent update is a huge failure.... the freaking volume issue is sooo annoying with Apple carplay. Its completely broken. I have to unplug and plug in my phone 3-4 times to get the volume to work correctly. Such a fail honda...
Waze is causing that issue, not the infotainment update.. Update Waze - they have a fix in place now. - Volume Stops working with CarPlay/USB connected

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you get the new update from Honda in April for the infotainment system?

The patch notes say they fixed CarPlay disconnect. I've been using CarPlay frequently and no disconnects so far.
Yes, I was so excited about the update thinking it would solve all my problems. But no luck. Thought the issue was the wife's Windows phone, but then got her to an Android. All is fine with her. My old 5s is having issues every so often - no pattern that I can figure. I need an easy way to soft boot the head unit.

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
Yes, I was so excited about the update thinking it would solve all my problems. But no luck. Thought the issue was the wife's Windows phone, but then got her to an Android. All is fine with her. My old 5s is having issues every so often - no pattern that I can figure. I need an easy way to soft boot the head unit.
Maybe also consider testing different cables... since it's easier to try than soft reboot steps. The cable or connection quality (debris) could be a common factor if you had incidents before and after software update.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,907 Posts
I wonder if the 5s(came out in 2013) is too old to run CarPlay... I've a spare 5s that I tried CarPlay with and the disconnects did happen more frequently compared to my 7. This was before the April Honda infotainment system update.

·
Registered
347 Posts
4 crashes in a 2 hour trip after update.... I dont even use Android auto...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts