Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
My infotainment screen has reset itself three separate times on different occasions while driving. Has anyone had this issue?
Mine did this for the first time ever today when I was backing out of my garage. I took my Insight in for the rear camera software update recall on Friday and it didn’t happen any other time before or since the software update. It was kind of scary and quite annoying to be honest. I should have avoided getting the recall done as I think it screwed with my infotainment system. Back to the dealer I go if it happens again. 😞

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can also confirm unexpected console resets. I was also having cases where CarPlay just stopped playing sound, but Google Maps still worked. I switched cables and it seems not to be happening.

Hoping that a software update stops the restarts and adds wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I read here a number of reports of info console rebooting while driving. Someone suggested (maybe it was on the "quirks" thread) that getting the rear camera recall fix would stop the info reboot. It did not for me - the one time I had reboot was after the rear camera update.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read here a number of reports of info console rebooting while driving. Someone suggested (maybe it was on the "quirks" thread) that getting the rear camera recall fix would stop the info reboot. It did not for me - the one time I had reboot was after the rear camera update.
Ditto. I never had an issue until after the software update. I should have not got it done so my radio and MPG stats wouldn’t have reset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the infotainment system reboot on me for the first time today since I got the car a couple months ago. I was backing up after a brief 7-Eleven stop and noticed there were no proximity lines on the screen for the backup camera. When I shifted into drive, the system rebooted and seems to be fine. I don't use Android Auto or CarPlay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone experienced various issues with their infotainment system? Namely: the screen randomly goes black (audio is still going) and turns back on, complete shut off and turns back on a few minutes later like I just turned the car on, and just overall poor call quality? I was on the phone and the person on the other side said they heard a low rumbling static-type noise which I believe I heard on a different call.. My 2016 Honda Accord had better call quality than this!

I've made an appointment with my Honda dealer to try and fix this but wanted to know if anyone else is having issues similar to mine.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Has anyone experienced various issues with their infotainment system? Namely: the screen randomly goes black (audio is still going) and turns back on, complete shut off and turns back on a few minutes later like I just turned the car on, and just overall poor call quality? I was on the phone and the person on the other side said they heard a low rumbling static-type noise which I believe I heard on a different call.. My 2016 Honda Accord had better call quality than this!

I've made an appointment with my Honda dealer to try and fix this but wanted to know if anyone else is having issues similar to mine.
Other forum members have reported the screen reset issue in this "What Kind of Issues are You having..." thread, and "whole system crash/reboot" mentioned in this thread. Maybe you could try this screen reboot/reset technique to see if it helps...? At a minimum, you'll be able to see how many hours your screen has been running.

·
Registered
155 Posts
and just overall poor call quality?
I have had bad call quality in that the person on the other end of the line has a hard time hearing me (says there is a lot of wind noise although all my windows are up). Haven't had time to investigate it further to confirm it is due to the built in phone/mic setup of the Insight. iPhone is always connected to the USB port by the way, not Bluetooth.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I have had bad call quality in that the person on the other end of the line has a hard time hearing me (says there is a lot of wind noise although all my windows are up). Haven't had time to investigate it further to confirm it is due to the built in phone/mic setup of the Insight. iPhone is always connected to the USB port by the way, not Bluetooth.
This is an interesting point of difference! I make all my calls via Bluetooth/HandsfreeLink and have been told I could be heard clearly. I've had to crank the volume up (level 30-36) to hear some callers, but the phone audio quality has been pretty clear overall. I wonder if phone quality varies by connection method...?

@citytrap - have your phone quality issues been while using CarPlay/AA or Bluetooth?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
I've used my phone via AA and Bluetooth and have never had quality issues.

I should know this, but I don't - where is the car's microphone located?

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I've used my phone via AA and Bluetooth and have never had quality issues.

I should know this, but I don't - where is the car's microphone located?
The microphone is near the front map lights on the ceiling. During a call, I tested speaking while having my head turned toward the microphone, facing forward, and facing left driver window. Surprisingly, all positions yielded the same sound quality and level. For best sound, the manual also suggests adjusting the dashboard and side air vents away from the ceiling microphone.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
The microphone is near the front map lights on the ceiling. During a call, I tested speaking while having my head turned toward the microphone, facing forward, and facing left driver window. Surprisingly, all positions yielded the same sound quality and level. For best sound, the manual also suggests adjusting the dashboard and side air vents away from the ceiling microphone.
Thanks insightfully. I got my free owner's manual in the mail today (ordered from the my.honda.com website). I guess I should read it. I have the PDF as well, but the paper one I can read while waiting in the parking lot for my daughter to get out of dance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been told my phone sounds better than the system I had on my Mercedes ML-350. No issues with the sound system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Honda2019 - That's what my complaints have been, a wind-type noise!

Perhaps my A/C vents are pointed up towards the mic? I've been mostly using CarPlay for phone calls.. I'll try Bluetooth and move my vents to see if that yields better results. I'll look into resetting it as well; that may save me a trip to the dealer!

·
Registered
36 Posts

have had the screen go black on me 2-3 times, but call quality has seemed to be pretty good on both ends.

i am curious if honda is aware of the screen issue. if you would, please let us know what the dealer says when you take it in for a fix.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts