Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced various issues with their infotainment system? Namely: the screen randomly goes black (audio is still going) and turns back on, complete shut off and turns back on a few minutes later like I just turned the car on, and just overall poor call quality? I was on the phone and the person on the other side said they heard a low rumbling static-type noise which I believe I heard on a different call.. My 2016 Honda Accord had better call quality than this!

I've made an appointment with my Honda dealer to try and fix this but wanted to know if anyone else is having issues similar to mine.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Has anyone experienced various issues with their infotainment system? Namely: the screen randomly goes black (audio is still going) and turns back on, complete shut off and turns back on a few minutes later like I just turned the car on, and just overall poor call quality? I was on the phone and the person on the other side said they heard a low rumbling static-type noise which I believe I heard on a different call.. My 2016 Honda Accord had better call quality than this!

I've made an appointment with my Honda dealer to try and fix this but wanted to know if anyone else is having issues similar to mine.
Other forum members have reported the screen reset issue in this "What Kind of Issues are You having..." thread, and "whole system crash/reboot" mentioned in this thread. Maybe you could try this screen reboot/reset technique to see if it helps...? At a minimum, you'll be able to see how many hours your screen has been running.

·
Registered
154 Posts
and just overall poor call quality?
I have had bad call quality in that the person on the other end of the line has a hard time hearing me (says there is a lot of wind noise although all my windows are up). Haven't had time to investigate it further to confirm it is due to the built in phone/mic setup of the Insight. iPhone is always connected to the USB port by the way, not Bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
I have had bad call quality in that the person on the other end of the line has a hard time hearing me (says there is a lot of wind noise although all my windows are up). Haven't had time to investigate it further to confirm it is due to the built in phone/mic setup of the Insight. iPhone is always connected to the USB port by the way, not Bluetooth.
This is an interesting point of difference! I make all my calls via Bluetooth/HandsfreeLink and have been told I could be heard clearly. I've had to crank the volume up (level 30-36) to hear some callers, but the phone audio quality has been pretty clear overall. I wonder if phone quality varies by connection method...?

@citytrap - have your phone quality issues been while using CarPlay/AA or Bluetooth?

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I've used my phone via AA and Bluetooth and have never had quality issues.

I should know this, but I don't - where is the car's microphone located?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
I've used my phone via AA and Bluetooth and have never had quality issues.

I should know this, but I don't - where is the car's microphone located?
The microphone is near the front map lights on the ceiling. During a call, I tested speaking while having my head turned toward the microphone, facing forward, and facing left driver window. Surprisingly, all positions yielded the same sound quality and level. For best sound, the manual also suggests adjusting the dashboard and side air vents away from the ceiling microphone.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
The microphone is near the front map lights on the ceiling. During a call, I tested speaking while having my head turned toward the microphone, facing forward, and facing left driver window. Surprisingly, all positions yielded the same sound quality and level. For best sound, the manual also suggests adjusting the dashboard and side air vents away from the ceiling microphone.
Thanks insightfully. I got my free owner's manual in the mail today (ordered from the my.honda.com website). I guess I should read it. I have the PDF as well, but the paper one I can read while waiting in the parking lot for my daughter to get out of dance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Honda2019 - That's what my complaints have been, a wind-type noise!

Perhaps my A/C vents are pointed up towards the mic? I've been mostly using CarPlay for phone calls.. I'll try Bluetooth and move my vents to see if that yields better results. I'll look into resetting it as well; that may save me a trip to the dealer!

·
Registered
32 Posts

have had the screen go black on me 2-3 times, but call quality has seemed to be pretty good on both ends.

i am curious if honda is aware of the screen issue. if you would, please let us know what the dealer says when you take it in for a fix.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Honda is actually being sued for shipping defective head units in the 2018-2019 Odyssey and 2019 Pilot. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/honda-odyssey-pilot-infotainment-lawsuit.shtml
The crashing has got to get patched. I hope they do something.

I'm renting a Kia Optima while traveling and the design of the head unit is just completely inferior to the Display Audio. Inexpensive resistive touchscreen; poor color saturation; ugly "stylish" GUI. But it does have CarPlay, and it hasn't crashed yet!

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
The crashing has got to get patched. I hope they do something.

I'm renting a Kia Optima while traveling and the design of the head unit is just completely inferior to the Display Audio. Inexpensive resistive touchscreen; poor color saturation; ugly "stylish" GUI. But it does have CarPlay, and it hasn't crashed yet!
Kia? Um, ew.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Infotainment Restarts / Goes Blank

Have been logging some longer drives now in the Insight - have noticed that the infotainment system on occasion restarts, maybe 2 or 3 times in a 5 hour drive. Most importantly nav remembers which way it was going, but until it restarts...you're momentarily left without guidance. I think audio remembers what it was doing as well.

I guess as long as something, even Android based, is going to be computer driven...it might crash. Just don't think my phone crashes quite as often.

As long as we are all experiencing this on occasion, not sure there's much to be done.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Have been logging some longer drives now in the Insight - have noticed that the infotainment system on occasion restarts, maybe 2 or 3 times in a 5 hour drive. Most importantly nav remembers which way it was going, but until it restarts...you're momentarily left without guidance. I think audio remembers what it was doing as well.

I guess as long as something, even Android based, is going to be computer driven...it might crash. Just don't think my phone crashes quite as often.

As long as we are all experiencing this on occasion, not sure there's much to be done.
Are you using the Touring's Garmin Nav or Waze/Google Maps via Android Auto/CarPlay? You can try to force a hard reboot which has fixed some weird glitches for other owners. The Display Audio tablet is actually running all the time even when you shut off the car. Mine currently has an uptime of around 940 hours since I last did a hard reboot.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-honda-insight-features-equipment/1974-audio-system-issues.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2238-navigation-giving-me-metric-directions.html

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you using the Touring's Garmin Nav or Waze/Google Maps via Android Auto/CarPlay? You can try to force a hard reboot which has fixed some weird glitches for other owners. The Display Audio tablet is actually running all the time even when you shut off the car. Mine currently has an uptime of around 940 hours since I last did a hard reboot.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-honda-insight-features-equipment/1974-audio-system-issues.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2238-navigation-giving-me-metric-directions.html
Thanks! Will give the hard reboot a try, esp. since I won't lose settings and it'll give me back baseline performance. Using Garmin Nav for its driver info display and tend to avoid CarPlay running generally (to avoid inadvertent interference with Garmin Nav), but CarPlay does have extra features beyond the basics of a Bluetooth phone/audio connection.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanks! Will give the hard reboot a try, esp. since I won't lose settings and it'll give me back baseline performance. Using Garmin Nav for its driver info display and tend to avoid CarPlay running generally (to avoid inadvertent interference with Garmin Nav), but CarPlay does have extra features beyond the basics of a Bluetooth phone/audio connection.
If that doesn't work. Try updating the Garmin maps (https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site). Not sure if the map updates include bug fixes for the built in Navigation app. Doesn't hurt to try and also get the latest map data.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Infotainment goes blank

Really weird thing happened to me. I’m driving and listening to the radio and all of a sudden radio stops and the infotainment screen goes blank. About 30 seconds later it turns on with radio playing, same station and volume that it was prior to cutting off. I have the EX trim. Also the Sirius radio subscription expired around this time. I really didn’t listen to Sirius so it’s hard for me to say if this issue was due to Sirius yanking the subscription or not. Let me know if this is something I should be concerned about or if it’s nothing. I really doubt the guys at the dealership could track down the issue. This is the only issue I’ve experienced with the car.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts