Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

Shortly after switching from Android to CarPlay, I found that the iHeartRadio app would freeze when launching via CarPlay. Suspecting a software "glitch," I looked to perform a reboot of the infotainment system. I had done it previously via instructions found within another thread, but I had difficulty finding them until Insightfully pointed me to them (thank you, sir). I thought it would be best to have a dedicated thread for the procedure of rebooting the infotainment system. The following video shows the process for doing so with an Accord:

Since our Insights don't have the same shifter as a ICE-only Accord, it works a little differently, so here's the process written out so you can print and keep in your glove compartment:

Note current uptime:

Start car and visit this infotainment screen - Settings/System/About/Status - note the current "Up time"​

Perform the reboot:

1. Turn off car
  2. Perform the following in rapid procession:
  3. Foot on brake - turn on car - shift to reverse - shift to neutral (all this should occur well before the Honda logo appears on the display)
  4. When system boots, the "Ok" button should be grayed-out. This indicates the system is rebooting.

Verify reboot:

Once the system restarts, visit this infotainment screen - Settings/System/About/Status - and note the current "Up time" - It should show an up-time indicative of a recent system reboot.​

Troubleshooting:
If the button is not greyed-out in line 4 of the reboot process, start the process again. In my experience, the first shift to reverse may require pressing the reverse button repeatedly until if finally shifts (timing is important). Once in reverse, immediately shift to neutral. Since the process must happen within the first second or two of switching on the ignition, it may take a try or two before it's successful.

Attached are the before and after photos of the up time screen from today's system reboot. The reboot did indeed resolve my CarPlay/iHeartRadio issue.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Thanks for starting this quick-reference instruction thread!

In terms of WHEN to use these instructions, a few situations where this type of reboot has helped are below. Hoping we can add to and build this list further, as we learn of more situations where reboots help:

Also of note is that the infotainment system never really shuts down, as called out by @andrew28. Perhaps this means we should ALL do the reboot on some regular frequency as a matter of regular maintenance/health, rather than waiting for issues to trigger it...?

And last but not least, props to @andrew28 for finding and bringing this tip to the forum. I think it's in the running for "tip with the most application." ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks @andrew28 for first finding the video! I plan on doing this monthly (or when I remember) to, hopefully, avoid future issues. It would be nice if Honda had a reboot option in the settings section.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I'm currently at 1539 hours uptime since I last did it back in April or early May. I tried doing it today but failed multiple times in getting the reverse/neutral button to register in time. It would be nice if an option for reboot is available when holding the power button for the display audio(I think this is how the previous generation display audio did it).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm currently at 1539 hours uptime since I last did it back in April or early May. I tried doing it today but failed multiple times in getting the reverse/neutral button to register in time. It would be nice if an option for reboot is available when holding the power button for the display audio(I think this is how the previous generation display audio did it).
I have mine set to lock the doors when I shift out of park. I just start the car and repeatedly press reverse until I hear the doors lock, then I move immediately to neutral. Even with that, it took two tries today to get it right. Left hand on the start button and right hand doing the shifting. I think the reason there is no reboot option on the settings menu it that it would be illegal to disable the back-up camera if there was any chance the car may be able to move - hence it is tied to the gear shifter which is in neutral with your foot on the brake during the procedure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this different than Settings / System / Factory Reset? That appears to "reboot" the system as well, and is what I use when my Apple Carplay freezes ("unable to start").

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this different than Settings / System / Factory Reset? That appears to "reboot" the system as well, and is what I use when my Apple Carplay freezes ("unable to start").
It is different in that it will retain all your settings. Factory reset wipes everything pertaining to icons, wallpaper, presets, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I came across a simpler way to reboot the head unit:
  • While the car is ON, press and hold the audio system power/volume knob for 3 seconds.
  • When the pop-up menu asks if reboot is desired, select "YES."

This tip comes from the steps you'd follow to reactivate the system after a 12-volt battery replacement (attached).

The steps seem to work for any 2016+ Honda, and a quick youtube search showed this reboot working for the Clarity, CR-V, and Accord. (On models without a power/volume knob - like the 2019 Clarity - the "AUDIO" button is pressed/held instead for 3 seconds.)

A helpful summary of "quick reboot" steps for Honda and other manufacturers is in the article below. Honda's reboot steps and effort are definitely the shortest and simplest among the other listed manufacturers: https://www.consumerreports.org/automotive-technology/how-to-reboot-your-cars-infotainment-system/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I came across a simpler way to reboot the head unit:

• While the car is ON, press and hold the audio system power/volume knob for 3 seconds.
  • When the pop-up menu asks if reboot is desired, select "YES."
This tip comes from the steps you'd follow to reactivate the system after a 12-volt battery replacement (attached).

The steps seem to work for any 2016+ Honda, and a quick youtube search showed this reboot working for the Clarity, CR-V, and Accord. (On models without a power/volume knob - like the 2019 Clarity - the "AUDIO" button is pressed/held instead for 3 seconds.)

A helpful summary of "quick reboot" steps for Honda and other manufacturers is in the article below. Honda's reboot steps and effort are definitely the shortest and simplest among the other listed manufacturers: https://www.consumerreports.org/automotive-technology/how-to-reboot-your-cars-infotainment-system/
I remember trying it with the car ON(as in ready to drive) and it didn't work. Not sure if this works in ON mode(as in pressing the power button again after accessory mode). Going to check it out when I get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I remember trying it with the car ON(as in ready to drive) and it didn't work. Not sure if this works in ON mode(as in pressing the power button again after accessory mode). Going to check it out when I get a chance.
Well POOP... I also tried various power/gear/timing combinations and was not able to get it to work. It sounded too good to be true, and it turned out to be so. :sad:

Deep apologies for the false lead! I got excited by the Consumer Reports recap and videos showing it on older (2018) Clarity, CR-V and Accord models... and thought it would work for the Insight. Hopefully there's a comparable quick reboot method waiting to be discovered soon for the Insight...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone know how to manually reboot the infotainment? I read online that it was done by pushing in the volume knob for 3 seconds, but that doesn't seem to do anything for me. I haven't had any crashes with Android Auto (1 month of ownership), but I have had slowness and wanted to do a reboot.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Does anyone know how to manually reboot the infotainment? I read online that it was done by pushing in the volume knob for 3 seconds, but that doesn't seem to do anything for me. I haven't had any crashes with Android Auto (1 month of ownership), but I have had slowness and wanted to do a reboot.
It's not an easy process (it may take a few tries).

When you go to turn the car on, make sure you are prepared. (Foot on brake, hands free, cords out of the way etc...)

Hit the power button (with your foot on the brake)

As fast as you can shift into reverse (it has to engage), then immediately shift to neutral. I watch the shifter lights to make sure that it engaged gears.

If successful, when the "legal disclaimer" comes up, the OK button should be completely grayed out.
You can confirm in Settings > About > Runtime

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's not an easy process (it may take a few tries).

When you go to turn the car on, make sure you are prepared. (Foot on brake, hands free, cords out of the way etc...)

Hit the power button (with your foot on the brake)

As fast as you can shift into reverse (it has to engage), then immediately shift to neutral. I watch the shifter lights to make sure that it engaged gears.

If successful, when the "legal disclaimer" comes up, the OK button should be completely grayed out.
You can confirm in Settings > About > Runtime
Ah! Thank you very much!

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Added your post to our 'rebooting instructions' thread. See the video in first post for how-to on the Accord, that applies to the Insight. As mentioned by Wifey'sInsight, it may take several tries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts