Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the frontal sensors make the car BRAKE if a deer runs in front of you?

The car BRAKES when cars are in front of us or braking too...what if it sense a deer? Will the front sonar/sensors make the INSIGHT use the BRAKES automatically also?

·
Registered
836 Posts

The car BRAKES when cars are in front of us or braking too...what if it sense a deer? Will the front sonar/sensors make the INSIGHT use the BRAKES automatically also?
If it senses an object, CMBS should react accordingly. I will not be a test dummy for this though :D

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
The system should detect a deer, but full and safe stop would depends on how quickly the object enters detection range and/or the speed at which the car is already traveling.
@andrew28 shared a video in the "ACC and CMBS" thread showing how the Insight responds to different detection situations. A deer-specific scenario isn't included, but unanticipated pedestrian scenario and response are shown.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/17060-post16.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's soo many deer near me and in November there's more on the roads bc hunter force them out . only November is when they can hunt

·
Registered
836 Posts

Answers:

1) It should activate the full suite of CMBS if an object is detected in front of you. Will you avoid all collisions, no.

2) Yes, if the Deer (pedestrian, other object) is detected in front of the car, and the speed difference is greater than 3mph. The car will in most situations apply maximum braking force to possibly avoid collision, or at least minimize the force of the impact. I remember some caveat about 62mph or greater, in the CMBS thread on this forum, I'll try to find it.

Taken from Insightfully

CMBS = Radar + Camera, starting at speeds >3 mph
- for 3 to 62 mph: monitors for stationary, oncoming, OR same direction
- for 62+ mph: monitors same direction only
- turns on every time power system starts, regardless of prior selection
- camera is designed/used for pedestrian detection (p484)
- 47 'conditions and limitations' listed, with more than half (~30) being camera-specific (e.g. temperature, pedestrian) or lighting-related (e.g. shadow, contrast)

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
2) Yes, if the Deer (pedestrian, other object) is detected in front of the car, and the speed difference is greater than 3mph. The car will in most situations apply maximum braking force to possibly avoid collision, or at least minimize the force of the impact. I remember some caveat about 62mph or greater, in the CMBS thread on this forum, I'll try to find it.
Yep, 62+ mph is what Honda states is the "switching point" for the CMBS logic:
  • At 62+ mph, CMBS only monitors for collision risks travelling in your same direction (e.g. same-direction highway traffic flow).
  • It ignores objects that are stationary (e.g. trees, parked cars, bridges, overhead signs) or oncoming (e.g. opposite traffic flow) until your speed drops to 3-62 mph again.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Anybody know the real answer?
Only pedestrian-type testing and videos have been done by Honda, as shared. SO... I think you'll need to let us know what your experience is (your speed, CMBS response), if/when you encounter deer.

As cautioned above, CMBS detection changes depending on your speed (above vs at/below 62 mph). Maybe stay below 62 mph during deer season if you want to keep the full CMBS detection options active...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm confused by the video that insightfully provided a link to in Post #3.

Why is it that the Insight crashes into target at 1:44, but the Camry doesn't?

And at 1:58, why show the Insight crashing while backing into target. Why wouldn't it, seeing that CMBS in reverse is not an Insight feature?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts

And at 1:58, why show the Insight crashing while backing into target. Why wouldn't it, seeing that CMBS in reverse is not an Insight feature?
The videos show the result of different cars using similar/standard test protocol and conditions:
- Re: Insight in reverse - It just shows the Insight's result in a "standard" test protocol applied to other cars as well.
- Re: Insight vs Camry - The differences show how the manufacturers program their systems differently, and how the cars in turn respond differently to similar standard scenarios.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also take into account that our CMBS system doesn't activate until 3 mph. This keeps the car from freaking out, like when at a light on a hill, and the car in front of you is a manual, and rolls back slightly. Just to point out a false alert scenario. Toyota seems to have tied it into the brake system, or a lower speed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So without accompanying explanations, not much can be learned from the video I guess.

Insightfully, we should all treasure your beneficent presence here !

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts

The Japanese Camry has something called reverse automatic braking. You can also see that pressing the gas pedal on the Camry does not cancel out the CMBS (forward & reverse).

The Japanese Insight comes standard with rear parking sensors (front is extra). You can see in the video that the warning system still works and I assume is what the driver was testing out.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
So without accompanying explanations, not much can be learned from the video I guess.

Insightfully, we should all treasure your beneficent presence here !
Ha, thanks. To be fair, the video was created by JNCAP and were annotated in Japanese, so the descriptions aren't entirely obvious. But I really enjoy both this car and this forum. It's just the big geek in me, I guess. :nerd:

The intent of JNCAP (Japan New Car Assessment Program - managed by NASVA in Japan) is similar to the NCAP (New Car Assessment Program - managed by NHTSA in US). Both evaluate new car design performance against a suite of safety threats. There isn't a global standard for testing, unfortunately, and different countries/regions have their own methods AND variations in cars/equipment by region (e.g. Japanese Insight vs U.S. Insight). However, the videos are helpful to watch so we'll know what to expect from our cars before being in one of those similar scenarios.

JNCAP tests (Japan) - Testing Methods
NCAP tests (US) - Test Procedures

·
Registered
154 Posts
The video being discussed was labeled by andrew28 as a "Honda Insight vs Toyota Camry CMBS testing done by Japan's version of the NHTSA", but it now seems that perhaps only some parts of it pertain to that subject.

A translation of the "comments" might help. Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
The video being discussed was labeled by andrew28 as a "Honda Insight vs Toyota Camry CMBS testing done by Japan's version of the NHTSA", but it now seems that perhaps only some parts of it pertain to that subject.

A translation of the "comments" might help. Anyone?
I think the video and post are correctly labeled; JNCAP (Japan) is the parallel to NCAP (US/NHTSA). The notes in the video reference JNCAP scores and the test being done in each clip. You can get a general gist from watching the video and/or reading the test protocols... but here's a "loose" translation using rusty high school/college skills. (My side comments are in italics.):

VIDEO LINK = youtube.com/watch?v=uQBlYPzdfLA

0:00 to 00:04 = Honda Insight EX vs Toyota Camry G result summary
(Advanced Safety Technology Assessment Tests - Scores for each car are listed. Overall, the Japanese Insight EX rated better/equal to Japanese Camry G in 5 of the 6 tests (see procedure detail at JNCAP site):
Braking Score, car to car - 32 pts max (YELLOW)
Braking Score, car to pedestrian - 65 pts max (YELLOW)
Lane Departure Prevention Score - 16 pts max (PINK)
Rear Field of Vision - 6 pts max (BLUE)
Headlight Score - 5 pts max (GRAY)
Accelerator Pedal Malfunction / Safety Score - 2 pts max (ORANGE)​

(NOTE: Insight videos/results will be on on left side; Camry videos/results will be on right side. Results are shown side-by-side OR the result snapshot for the OPPOSITE car is on screen as tests are performed. Video views alternate from outside of car to inside of car for same test. Samples of tests are included, rather than every test for each car.)

00:05 to 00:27 = Braking Score, car to car - 32 pts max (YELLOW)
00:05 to 00:16 = stationary front car
00:17 to 00:27 = moving front car

00:28 to 01:42 = Braking Score, car to pedestrian - 65 pts max (YELLOW)
00:28 to 00:38 = CHILD from driver side, daytime view @ 40 kph
00:39 to 00:49 = ADULT from driver side, daytime view @ 60 kph
00:50 to 00:59 = CHILD from driver side, daytime obstructed view @ 40 kph
01:00 to 01:08 = ADULT from driver side, daytime obstructed view @ 45 kph
01:09 to 01:20 = ADULT from driver side, daytime view @55 kph
01:21 to 01:30 = ADULT from passenger side, night view @ 60 kph
01:31 to 01:42 = ADULT from passenger side, night view & oncoming car @ 60 kph

01:43 to 02:07 = Accelerator Pedal Malfunction / Safety Score - 2 pts max (ORANGE)
(Driver steps from brake to accelerator & holds accelerator until car stops on own)
01:43 to 01:54 = forward direction
01:55 to 02:07 = reverse direction

02:08 to 02:30 = Lane Departure Prevention Score - 16 pts max (PINK)
02:08 to 02:30 = @ 60 kph

Rear Field of Vision - 6 pts max (BLUE)
(test videos not shown)

Headlight Score - 5 pts max (GRAY)
(test videos not shown)

·
Registered
154 Posts
insightfully, I will probably need more time to digest your post than you used to create it! I really feel guilty for stealing your time on this issue. In any case, thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
insightfully, I will probably need more time to digest your post than you used to create it! I really feel guilty for stealing your time on this issue. In any case, thank you very much.
No worries... hope it's helpful to you and anyone with similar questions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Encountered a deer tonight. I was doing about 60-65 and I believe my high beams were on. The buck slowly sauntered across the road directly in front of me as if it was in no hurry so the cam should have seen him. No warnings or auto brake so it seemed like the system didn’t recognize him as an obstacle. However, I did hit the brakes pretty hard in plenty of time so perhaps the system felt no warning was needed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts