Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Insight with 43,000 miles, barely out of warranty. While driving home on a country road a bright orange light came on the dash saying "Power System Failure, Do Not Drive". I was 8 miles from the nearest town and the engine quit. I called my insurance roadside assistence and had trouble getting a tow. After I did get it to a Honda dealership, I was told the 12 volt battery had failed. It is a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery available through Honda only and costs $353! I bought the car new exactly 36 months ago but because I was over 36,000 miles the dealer would not cover the repair. I have contacted America Honda to see if they will help with the bill. My biggest concern is that the battery can fail like that after only 3 years and leave me stranded and requiring a tow. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had isssues with the AGM 12 volt battery in the 3rd generation Insights.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Unfortunately battery failure is not all that uncommon on these vehicles. There are posts in several other threads. Whenever mine goes I was looking at a lithium ion replacement.

However, you should not be totally out of luck on the battery. You AGM is still somewhat protected by Honda's Limited Battery Warranty. {page 34} You should be getting 60% off of the price of the battery, I am sure installation is not a part of that.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
33 Posts
It is a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery available through Honda only and costs $353!
You don't have to buy through Honda. Any size 51R 12V AGM battery will suffice. Name brand aftermarket batteries at auto parts stores are around $200-$220, however you're probably better off sticking with the Honda dealer since they will give you a 60% warranty credit which will knock $211.80 off the price they quoted you. You also don't have to pay to have them replace it. It's fairly easy to replace yourself and Honda even includes the only tool you'll need in the trunk of your Insight.

Unfortunately battery failure is not all that uncommon on these vehicles. There are posts in several other threads. Whenever mine goes I was looking at a lithium ion replacement.
I've looked into the lithium alternatives as well but $750 is a steep price to pay. 8-O Group-51R Lithium Car Battery

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I were to look for an equivalent battery at Canadian Tire I would be greated with a much lower price (Canadian dollars). I do not know how this compares with the ratings of the OEM battery from Honda though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You don't have to buy through Honda. Any size 51R 12V AGM battery will suffice. Name brand aftermarket batteries at auto parts stores are around $200-$220, however you're probably better off sticking with the Honda dealer since they will give you a 60% warranty credit which will knock $211.80 off the price they quoted you. You also don't have to pay to have them replace it. It's fairly easy to replace yourself and Honda even includes the only tool you'll need in the trunk of your Insight.

I've looked into the lithium alternatives as well but $750 is a steep price to pay. 8-O Group-51R Lithium Car Battery
Well if you look at the Lamborghini or lithium ion batteries, of course you are going to spend more on one than you did for the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2019 Insight with 43,000 miles, barely out of warranty. While driving home on a country road a bright orange light came on the dash saying "Power System Failure, Do Not Drive". I was 8 miles from the nearest town and the engine quit. I called my insurance roadside assistence and had trouble getting a tow. After I did get it to a Honda dealership, I was told the 12 volt battery had failed. It is a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery available through Honda only and costs $353! I bought the car new exactly 36 months ago but because I was over 36,000 miles the dealer would not cover the repair. I have contacted America Honda to see if they will help with the bill. My biggest concern is that the battery can fail like that after only 3 years and leave me stranded and requiring a tow. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had isssues with the AGM 12 volt battery in the 3rd generation Insights.
AGM or Not, 12 volt batteries do short out sometimes. I had a normal lead acid battery short out on me, after less than 3 years, on a non-hybrid car, a while back. I started up my car without any issues, drove to the grocery store, parked, went in to get groceries, came out and tried to open the trunk with the remote and....nothing. Started cursing that the stupid remote broke, opened the door with the key, popped the trunk, loaded it, went to start the car...Nothin, not even a click, completely dead, no lights no nothing! It sucks, but it can happen with any battery (maybe not with lithium ion).

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd just keep charging the battery up when your car is sitting at home and till it no longer starts the car...keep driving with it...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
BatteriesPlus stores shows this AGM battery will fit the 3rd gen Insight.
  • 10% off with code AUTO10
  • Free install at the store
  • 3 year replacement warranty
Also...
If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk (common in many European makes), the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. OPTIMA group 27, 51, DS46B24R, 78, 34C, 31 and H6 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
17 Posts
I'd just keep charging the battery up when your car is sitting at home and till it no longer starts the car...keep driving with it...
"I was 8 miles from the nearest town and the engine quit."

Reads like that's not an option here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts