Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, do you have any idea where I can check trade-in values for the Insight? KBB, NADA and Black Book has no info yet, and sadly I am not completely happy with my car and want to trade in but take the smallest hit possible. Thank you for any information you can provide. (I drive a Touring model).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are you looking at another Honda, or a different make? You could call around to Honda dealerships too. Mine already offered to buy mine back, and I only bought in September. (We didn’t talk prices.)

I was reading the Accord hybrid forum, where a guy traded in his 2018 gas Accord for a 2019 hybrid accord. He said he paid $5000 on top of the trade and that the MSRP difference between the two Accords was $2000. So he ate $3000.

·
Registered
226 Posts
For fun I wanted to see what my 2019 Insight TOURING trim is worth if I traded it in to the stealership.

My 2019 Insight loaded Touring trim has 48,500 miles on it. I bought it brand new and in excellent condition.

KellyBlueBook says its only worth $17,000😭😣😔😭???? Is KBB the most reputable? That's a ~$13k hit in 11.5months on what I paid brand new😭.

Will the resale price go up? When is the best month to trade my Insight in?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Did your pricing look-up include entering mileage? For the 'average' driver at 12k miles per year, 48.5k miles is 4+ years of wear in <12 months... and that's usually reflected in the resale quote.

The Insight was named 'best resale value' by KBB, by Consumer Guide, and by Edmunds. In the KBB link above, KBB expected the Insight to retain 53.7% in resale value over 3 years and 37.7% over 5 years. That projection would be ~$16.1k versus the $17.0k you mentioned above... so it's actually reflecting higher resale value than they originally projected.

There are folks in the forum who have traded-in their 2019 models and can provide "real world" perspective on trade in value:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts
KBB is a nice research tool but in my experience it's not accurate. I got more than what KBB said my Civic was worth when I sold it to CarMax. I also got my Insight for less than what KBB said was the lowest possible purchase price in my area at the time. My Insight EX(around 8.5k miles) is worth $16,500(trade in) - $18,500(private sale) according to KBB. Which is a $2500-$5500 depreciation going by my buy price after 1.5 years. I would say I could get an additional $1K(more if I was buying another car) above the KBB price with some research and negotiation.

Top trims have larger depreciation in general btw. Sort of similar to an iPhone 64GB vs an iPhone 256GB. At trade in you will be lucky to see it fetch more than $50 vs the 64GB unless you private sale it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Trading in a car THAT new is never good... can easily lose your shirt in the deal. I really had to work to get the dealer to give me even close tow hat I owed on the car. I lost less than $1,000 VS what I owed and I was okay with that. Would have been okay with $2,000 but let's not tell the stealership that! Bought my 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring and went on my way.

In April of this year, I also purchased a 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Limited. Brand new, just a leftover 2019 with 131 miles on it. MSRP is $32,000 and I paid just over $22,000 out the door. Well, I found myself messing around with KBB/NADA online checking the value of this Ioniq and it was worth more than what I owed by several thousand dollars. That day, I took it to a Honda Dealer and told them what I wanted out of it (they lowballed me of course) so I showed them the KBB/NADA values and got exactly what I wanted and purchased a 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring from them.

So, it is possible to come out about even, but rarely ahead. Even when I traded in my 2019 Insight Touring, it had 26,000 miles and they were telling me it was a "high mileage" car. Whatever.... they had it sold in less than a week.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Got a 2021 RAV4 XLE hybrid. It's a quiet ride, I'd say as good as my Insight Touring. But when climbing a hill, the RAV4 is so much quieter than the Insight - that engine roar was a real turnoff and it was my reason to not even bother test driving a CR-V hybrid. Sure I only average 40 MPG with the RAV4 hybrid, but climbing the long Hwy 17 to Silicon Valley I egt 30 MPG - same as the Insight!
Not as plush as Insight Touring, but I'll tell you that the junky RAV4 audio sounds markedly better than the muted and soulless Touring system.
But I miss having LKAS that actually works - the Toyota engineers haven't a clue about how to do it right.

Reactions: andrew28

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Got a 2021 RAV4 XLE hybrid. It's a quiet ride, I'd say as good as my Insight Touring. But when climbing a hill, the RAV4 is so much quieter than the Insight - that engine roar was a real turnoff and it was my reason to not even bother test driving a CR-V hybrid. Sure I only average 40 MPG with the RAV4 hybrid, but climbing the long Hwy 17 to Silicon Valley I egt 30 MPG - same as the Insight!
Not as plush as Insight Touring, but I'll tell you that the junky RAV4 audio sounds markedly better than the muted and soulless Touring system.
But I miss having LKAS that actually works - the Toyota engineers haven't a clue about how to do it right.
Would you mind sharing the trade-in / resale value you got on your 2019 Insight Touring? How many miles did you end up putting on your Insight?

·
Registered
120 Posts
My Insight Touring 2019 (I bought it on 30 June 2018) had 28800 miles. They offered me $20K, sight unseen. The Honda dealer had recently told me they'd love to have my Insight on a trade-in, but told me I should only expect to get the KBB "Fair" price, and not the "Very Good" that I knew it was. I felt that $20K was fair, although perhaps I could've gotten more. Anyway, 3 weeks later and Toyota has halted production of RAV4 due to parts shortages. So, I'd say that pricing is going to get tricky.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts
Feel free to keep us updated on your new RAV4 XLE Hybrid @dr_glenn. Your insight would be valuable to someone looking for their next hybrid. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts