Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm new here and I noticed that nobody really talks about wait time?
I ordered the Insight here in Canada (Toronto area) around a month ago and I don't know when I will be getting it, the dealership doesn't know either...
Anyone is the same situation or with an ETA?
Thanks,

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi there,
I ordered the Insight here in Canada (Toronto area) around a month ago and I don't know when I will be getting it, the dealership doesn't know either...
Thanks,
It’s unusual where I live to order a Honda. The normal practice is that if the dealer doesn’t have what you want he does swaps with other dealers to get it. Either on the lot swaps or for one that is, or about to be in transit. My dealer got the one I wanted from another dealer is less than a week. That said, there were no new Insights being manufactured in August due to a part from Mexico being unavailable because of flooding at the plant. So unless there were a lot in the pipeline, which is unlikely, it could still be a while. If your dealer hasn’t been forthcoming with you about this info I’d be ticked off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think Canada was limited in their initial supply of Insight. Here in Ottawa each dealer had one except for Ottawa Honda which is a large dealership. It had two, one of which I purchased. Touring in Crimson pearl. Their other Insight was sold before I got there. Be patient. Well worth waiting for. Also, look at my post about the offer for free Tuxmat floor mats if you live in Toronto and let Tuxmat laser measure your car so they can start producing floor mats for the Insight. Hope someone takes advantage of this offer so I can eventually order a set from them. Don't mind paying. Just need them to be available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not think it is the norm to order a Honda here either, but like Misterb said, they had only 1 car per dealership here as well so there was no other choice but order.
It seems like they are prioritizing the US with the availability of the car.
And to be fair, the dealer did let me know that it might take a while when I bought it so I guess I have to wait for now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I didn’t realize the supply was so limited there. When I bought mine the dealer had seven on the lot and no problem finding several available in my configuration at other dealers in the area. Actually, I told him where there was one. He was using having to do the swap as an excuse to not come down any farther in price. I told him the other dealer was just as close to my house as he was and he decided maybe he could come down a little more after all!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn’t realize the supply was so limited there. When I bought mine the dealer had seven on the lot and no problem finding several available in my configuration at other dealers in the area. Actually, I told him where there was one. He was using having to do the swap as an excuse to not come down any farther in price. I told him the other dealer was just as close to my house as he was and he decided maybe he could come down a little more after all!
Part of the wait time may be due to the difference between the Canadian build and the U.S. build. Why the differences I have no idea. In Canada we do not have LX, EX and Touring. There are only two models. They skip the LX and call the EX just "Insight Hybrid" and then the "Hybrid Touring". The "Hybrid" is only available in Crystal Black Pearl and White Orchid Pearl. The only choice of interior color for both is black.
The Hybrid Touring is only available in Crimson Red Pearl, Cosmic Blue, Crystal Black Pearl and White Orchid Pearl. Again, the only choice of interior color for all of those is black.
So, the U.S. EX has a choice of 7 exterior colors with 2 interior colors and Canada gets 3 exterior colors and black only for interior. The U.S. touring also has 7 exterior colors with 2 interior colors while the Canadian touring gets 4 exterior colors and again only black for the interior. Why Honda chose to do this I have no idea although I do appreciate that the Canadian touring in Crimson Red Pearl comes with black interior and for some crazy reason the U.S. model doesn't offer black interior for this exterior color.
There may be other hidden build differences to satisfy Canadian or U.S. standards but I don't think they are readily visible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am from London, Ontario Canada and our two dealerships each had two at the beginning of August. I was told if I wanted one it could take Two to three months to get one in. I thought it over....went in and made an offer.....and they inform me that I could have the white one on their lot in three days.....time to licence, clean it etc. I jumped at the deal four weeks ago and have been happy with my new Insight ever since. The gas savings compared to my last four cylinder vehicle pays for about a third of my payment.....yes I do a lot of driving.

I was kinda puzzled with the limited colour choices as well.....black.....or white. It really is a new launch at this point and not many people are aware of the Insight. I am pretty sure they have not launched any marketing. The only reason I heard about it was through a car nut co-worker of mine that goes to Honda every few weeks to check out the new cars.

From my understanding, the Insight is manufactured in Indianna with many parts from Ohio. A key part manufactured in Mexico had its plant flooded and would be down for two to three months, causing the backorder. I have been driving mine for almost a month with over 3200 kms on it now....all through London, Kitchener, Hamilton....and I have yet to see another Insight on the road.

I was fortunate to snap mine up early.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your answers!
I found this on the global Honda website, it seems that the production of the Insight will resume in September so hopefully I get mine soon!
Update: Celaya Plant Flooding and Recovery

July 30, 2018

Due to the overflow of a river near Honda's auto plant in Celaya, Mexico, all auto and component production was suspended beginning June 28. While the Honda transmission plant in Celaya resumed production on July 9, our expert teams have completed an investigation of the damage to the tooling and equipment at the auto plant, which produces the Honda Fit and HR-V, and we now expect to resume auto and engine production in Celaya in mid-November.
Production of the refreshed 2019 Honda HR-V is already underway at another Honda auto plant in Guadalajara, Mexico, about 160 miles west of Celaya, which did not experience any flooding.
Due to a critical engine part that is made at the Celaya engine plant, Insight production at the Honda auto plant in Indiana also will be suspended for the month of August. Based on existing parts inventory, the Indiana plant was able to produce Insight through the end of July, and will resume production in the beginning of September.
Our commitment is always to provide our customers with high quality products and production will not resume in Celaya until we can ensure the highest levels of quality for all parts and products.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are on the same boat. I made the deposit a month ago and I was also told it will take up to 3 months. I am in Vancouver and the dealers here also only had 1 or 2 demos. They are in black or red but I was only interested in grey, silver (which are sadly not available in the Canadian market) and cosmic blue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in Fremont, California (northern CA). I have been searching for new car for over 1 year, including both the Hyundia Ioniq and the Honda insight. I knew exactly what I wanted, color, and options. I have gone to at least 5 dealerships, ready to pay cash up front, but no dealership had the combination I wanted in stock and when I asked them to search or special order they told me its not available and that you cant 'special order' a car anymore. I was shocked that no dealership wanted my money, they let me walk out the door.

Then a month or two ago I heard a commercial on the radio for Cartelligent, talking about how they can take the hassles out of buying a car and you don't even have to go to a dealership. So I called them up and told them I was looking for a 2019 honda insight, touring edition, silver or blue color, BLACK leather, 17" dark chrome wheels, electronics sensing, and all accessories, ready to pay cash. To my suprize they found a matching car within 24 hours. It was at a dealership only about 30 minutes away. Since I knew what I wanted I said yes! I didn't have to go to a dealership, they simply emailed documents to fill out to start the process. When they were ready to add the $7425 worth of all the accessories, they came to my place of work, signed papers and gave them a $10,000 personal check to make my purchase official so they can add all the accessories I ordered. One week later my car was ready, I simply went to their closest Cartelligent office to sign the final paper and pickup my car. They gave me a 20 minute overview/training of the car and all the features. I now own the exact car I wanted with zero hassle.

I will never buy a car at a dealership again since they are not helpful and won't even help to order a car a customer wants.

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad you got the car you wanted so easily. But I wouldn't sleep knowing mostly cosmetic add-ons were over 25% over the car cost.. Yikes. I'd maybe get an ext warranty. Congrats tho. and thanks for helping out the economy..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Exactly. The question is what do you pay for all that convenience of not going to the dealer? I’m more than willing to build a relationship with the people who will be servicing my car. They also had no problem finding exactly what I wanted and were very easy to negotiate with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,
Thanks,

Hi Alexis, have you got your new ride? My dealer here in Vancouver told me they have finally received the first batch of Insight after production resumed. However mine is not in the first batch. I will still need to wait.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I am in Fremont, California (northern CA). I have been searching for new car for over 1 year, including both the Hyundia Ioniq and the Honda insight. I knew exactly what I wanted, color, and options. I have gone to at least 5 dealerships, ready to pay cash up front, but no dealership had the combination I wanted in stock and when I asked them to search or special order they told me its not available and that you cant 'special order' a car anymore. I was shocked that no dealership wanted my money, they let me walk out the door.

Then a month or two ago I heard a commercial on the radio for Cartelligent, talking about how they can take the hassles out of buying a car and you don't even have to go to a dealership. So I called them up and told them I was looking for a 2019 honda insight, touring edition, silver or blue color, BLACK leather, 17" dark chrome wheels, electronics sensing, and all accessories, ready to pay cash. To my suprize they found a matching car within 24 hours. It was at a dealership only about 30 minutes away. Since I knew what I wanted I said yes! I didn't have to go to a dealership, they simply emailed documents to fill out to start the process. When they were ready to add the $7425 worth of all the accessories, they came to my place of work, signed papers and gave them a $10,000 personal check to make my purchase official so they can add all the accessories I ordered. One week later my car was ready, I simply went to their closest Cartelligent office to sign the final paper and pickup my car. They gave me a 20 minute overview/training of the car and all the features. I now own the exact car I wanted with zero hassle.

I will never buy a car at a dealership again since they are not helpful and won't even help to order a car a customer wants.

I am very pleased with my purchase.
Did you get, like, every accessory they offered? $7425 on top of sticker seems excessive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts