Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
One thing that hasn't been discussed much with the Insight's fuel economy is the unusual design of Honda's hybrid system.

As I continue to look into this possible car purchase of mine, the combination of a series hybrid design with the direct clutch of the Insight's motor, as opposed to a traditional CVT, stands out. What you have is the Insight's motor working very efficiently as a generator, but less so when it is clutched into the drivetrain at the only possible drive ratio, so the car can't loaf along at 75 with the transmission idling the engine at 1800 to 2000 rpm like some CVTs do but instead has to rev up quite a bit. Drop just a few mph and the Insight goes entirely on the electric motor for the drivetrain except under stronger acceleration and the engine can operate at whatever rpm the system needs for power generation. This is how you come up with Consumer Reports' constant 65mph Insight test impressively registering 62mpg and Car & Driver's constant 75mph test only managing in the mid 40s while they get mid 50s on the same test with the Corolla hybrid (though I have to say I doubt that too....given their earlier Prius test I'd think the Corolla ought to get about 50 in that test, but I digress....perhaps they did both the Insight and the Prius on colder days).

In any case I think this is leading to the Insight showing a far wider range of mpg outcomes both in Youtuber and magazine testing and from people posting here than you might expect from most hybrids.

Unfortunately cleanmpg.com doesn't seem to be doing the volume of steady-state testing that it used to, so no verification on a standardized test -- which would be handy as there's a bit of a difference between C&D's I-94 loop in Michigan and CR's highways and byways of eastern Connecticut.

If anyone has managed to pull the engine RPM data e.g. through OBD of the Insight, I'd be interested to hear.
My insight touring gets about 38 mpg at 75mph and 65 mph yields exactly about 45

Try staying in the 50-55 mph range (if it's comfortable and safe) and your fuel efficiency will be even better.
Car and driver got low 40s but somehow I'm getting into the 30s,however there's no point to try so hard just to get better mpg,my plan is to just buy a Camry hybrid and drive however I want without focusing too much on the way I drive,less stress and will get just as good if not better mpg than the insight touring

My daughter, a new driver, drove to dance class tonight. This is an 80-mile round trip with a mix of road types including interstate highway. She drove as teenagers do, a little above the speed limit, and still managed a 57mpg round trip in winter temps in New Jersey. For those seeing significantly less, I'd look into the state of your Insight. Check tire pressures, junk-in-the-trunk, and definitely check out your driving style. With an Insight in good repair, I can't fathom a way to get less than 40mpg unless one drives like Ricky Bobby or Cal Naughton, Jr. #shakeandbake

My daughter, a new driver, drove to dance class tonight. This is an 80-mile round trip with a mix of road types including interstate highway. She drove as teenagers do, a little above the speed limit, and still managed a 57mpg round trip in winter temps in New Jersey. For those seeing significantly less, I'd look into the state of your Insight. Check tire pressures, junk-in-the-trunk, and definitely check out your driving style. With an Insight in good repair, I can't fathom a way to get less than 40mpg unless one drives like Ricky Bobby or Cal Naughton, Jr. #shakeandbake
Maybe your family is blessed with the good mpg

That's great winter MPG. I will also point out that you have an Insight EX and Jacob has a Touring.

I will try to see how much mpg I will gain after I put enkei rpf1 at 15 lbs each compared to the 27 of the stock wheels,travel at 65mph steadily which got only 44mpg and then get back on here
Chicago's going through a warmer winter spell right now and I think on Sunday I got 48 mpg back to the city with bike on the rack at 55 mph. I'm pretty sure I broke 50 mpg once I hit local. I was in SPORT mode on the hwy and went normal once I was local. Stock touring tires and wheels.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts