Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I am a new gen3 Honda Insight owner! I'm loving the car so much, especially the gas mileage. Compared to my previous car, it's a whole lot better in every way except one or two. But I recently bought the Apeman C550a front and rear dash cam. Installed it and everything. Since then, at times I am getting static from the radio, FM, haven't tried AM yet, but i assume the same thing will happen.

How it's installed: I used a fuse tap into #1 accessory position, and ran that up on the driver side pillar, up top to the front dash cam. I routed the rear cam from the front cam, to the top right passenger side all through the back. After some research I'm assuming it's the cable that is the culprit. Just wanted to get another opinion or if any other of you have gotten this static as well.

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Hey all! I am a new gen3 Honda Insight owner! I'm loving the car so much, especially the gas mileage. Compared to my previous car, it's a whole lot better in every way except one or two. But I recently bought the Apeman C550a front and rear dash cam. Installed it and everything. Since then, at times I am getting static from the radio, FM, haven't tried AM yet, but i assume the same thing will happen.

How it's installed: I used a fuse tap into #1 accessory position, and ran that up on the driver side pillar, up top to the front dash cam. I routed the rear cam from the front cam, to the top right passenger side all through the back. After some research I'm assuming it's the cable that is the culprit. Just wanted to get another opinion or if any other of you have gotten this static as well.

Thanks all!
I'm not getting any static on FM radio with my dashcams. Both Viofo A119 V3 for front & rear. I routed the front cam cable down the passenger side A pillar. The rear cam cable was routed from the rear driver side to the front driver side A pillar. They're both powered through the cigarette lighter instead of fuse tap.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/29134-post67.html

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Can you tell if the static occurs on any/all FM channels, and from all speakers? Did you notice anything before camera install and/or could you disconnect the dash cam to see if the noise changes or goes away?

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts

Thanks all!
99% chance there is a problem with the ground. You didn't mention what the fuse tap powers or where you grounded it. Details would help us help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99% chance there is a problem with the ground. You didn't mention what the fuse tap powers or where you grounded it. Details would help us help you.
It powers a Shishuo hardware mounting kit that powers the dash cam. And the ground could be a possibility as it's under a bolt near the break pedal. I could try moving it to another bolt, but it should be in there good..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A couple other nuggets from Civic forum on the topic of radio static:
- Is radio interference related to defrosters being on? - https://www.civicx.com/threads/static-in-radio-when-using-rear-defrosters.1273/
- Physical antenna issue? - https://www.civicx.com/threads/need-some-input.32630/
Nothing was on, everything worked perfect before hand so it can't be the defrosters. It could be the actual antenna, but everything was working fine before the dash cam. Perhaps i may have slightly messed with the antenna connection. Guess i'll have to remove all the wiring to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you tell if the static occurs on any/all FM channels, and from all speakers? Did you notice anything before camera install and/or could you disconnect the dash cam to see if the noise changes or goes away?
It can occur on any station, from all speakers. It has trouble getting information onto the infortainment system (logo for station as well as whats playing). Looks like I will disconnect everything and remove the wiring to see if it's the actual wiring.

I remember trying to troubleshoot after I posted this, I did get radio static when sorting out the cables for the rear cam. the closer I got to the back c? pillar more static would occur, when I would drop the cord down, less static.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somewhat update: When I unplug the rear dash cam from the front dash cam. From what I can tell, the static disappears, then returns when plugged back in. So it's most likely the wiring. I'll email Apeman and see what they say..

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Somewhat update: When I unplug the rear dash cam from the front dash cam. From what I can tell, the static disappears, then returns when plugged back in. So it's most likely the wiring. I'll email Apeman and see what they say..
You might need a thicker (22 AWG) usb cable. Viofo dashcams only come with 22 AWG cables to mitigate issues like voltage drops(especially true for rear dashcams because the cable is a lot longer), static, noise, etc.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You are getting interference from the power wire for the dash cam, that the antenna is picking up on. You can try adding a couple of ferrite core, noise suppressors to the power wire. One on each side. As mentioned longer cable runs generally have more issues with voltage loss, and also generally create more "noise" in terms of interference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are getting interference from the power wire for the dash cam, that the antenna is picking up on. You can try adding a couple of ferrite core, noise suppressors to the power wire. One on each side. As mentioned longer cable runs generally have more issues with voltage loss, and also generally create more "noise" in terms of interference.
I might try this after I reroute it to go below instead of above. One question, any significance on whether how many cores have been added? Or just one on each end should suffice?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I might try this after I reroute it to go below instead of above. One question, any significance on whether how many cores have been added? Or just one on each end should suffice?
I've never seen more than two on any wiring application. Honestly in most situations I've only seen one used (think playstation 1 controllers for example).

If I had to guess, if you looked behind the passenger side c-pillar plastic, the wiring for the radio antenna probably runs down this side towards the floor. If that's the case, if you have a long enough cable, running on the drivers side of the car may be very beneficial.

Is it a standard micro-usb that the dash cam plugs into? If that's the case you can always plug anything else in to that usb end to see if it's interference from the dash cam itself (simply move further away from antenna), or the wiring (re-route, or isolate and shield).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never seen more than two on any wiring application. Honestly in most situations I've only seen one used (think playstation 1 controllers for example).

If I had to guess, if you looked behind the passenger side c-pillar plastic, the wiring for the radio antenna probably runs down this side towards the floor. If that's the case, if you have a long enough cable, running on the drivers side of the car may be very beneficial.

Is it a standard micro-usb that the dash cam plugs into? If that's the case you can always plug anything else in to that usb end to see if it's interference from the dash cam itself (simply move further away from antenna), or the wiring (re-route, or isolate and shield).

I'll try adding one on each end for now, as I just got them from amazon. I will update by the end of the day. If it doesn't help, I'll mot likely reroute it on the drivers side and see how that goes.

The front dash cam has its power source from a USB mini, and a 3.5mm(I believe) jack for the rear camera that plugs into the front cam.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts

It does look like the antenna wiring has long runs on the passenger side of the car (boxes 4 and 5 in diagram). Re-routing dash cam wiring on the drivers side would definitely cut down on interference. - https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~39150-txm-a61zg.html

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I didn't even know the passenger side had the GPS/Radio wiring. I ran the usb cable towards the driver side because the usb power port on my rear dashcam was facing the driving side. I guess I lucked out... :cool:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I didn't even know the passenger side had the GPS/Radio wiring. I ran the usb cable towards the driver side because the usb power port on my rear dashcam was facing the driving side. I guess I lucked out... :cool:
I got lucky, in my experience so far, most cars run power down drivers side, and signal on passenger side, but this isn't a definite. They do this for the same reason, to reduce interference. In full car audio builds, you do the same, I've always run power on the drivers side, and signal on the passenger side because the power wiring is more expensive and it's a much shorter run.

It used to be easier, with mast antennas, which are most commonly found on the passenger side, to be able to guess which side was signal.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I upgraded my single front and rear cameras to an Audio-Vox front/rear combo. I ran the wiring to the rear camera by coming down the driver-side A-pillar, behind the dash trim and along the driver's side floor going underneath the door sill trim, around the rear seat and behind the trim in the trunk. From there, it's just a matter of disassembling the trunk door trim and making things fit. Pro-tip: Zip-ties are your friend. There was a tiny bit of work with the Dremel to get the wire out to the camera. It works great and is nowhere near the radio's antenna.

Please excuse the dirty Insight. I've never let it get this bad, but IT WON"T STOP RAINING!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts