Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't made an appointment with the dealer yet because I need to find the time to schedule it in person and hopefully show them the issue in person. This has been happening since about a week after I bought my car at the end of september. I can easily repeat the issue when I have Audio selected. Roughly 60 seconds after turning the car on, the section of the screen that has the logo for sirius xm, usb, etc... ( or even the compass if i have the navigation mode selected ) will start to glitch out in that section of the screen. I havent really nailed down the cause, but it seems to happen faster if its cold? Leaving it outside for a bit seems to cause it. It will eventually stop, but it may take a few minutes.

I was just curious if others have seen this before. I'm probably going to head to the dealership this weekend to make an appointment and either show them the issue in person, or just this video.
Here is a video of the issue happening.

·
Registered
2019 EX Space Gray
61 Posts
Sorry to hear about the glitching. Nice of you to share the video. The first glitch I saw occurs about 1:10 in. Here's a link that starts at 1:08 :)

Hope it's an easy fix!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, that is most likely a new cluster. When you go in, I would not accept anything else from them. It is about a $1,000 part, so expect some kickback. Do not play the dealership's game. If they say no contact Honda customer serice right in front of them. Hopefully you will have a honest dealer and there will be no pain other than having to wait for the part to come in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that is most likely a new cluster. When you go in, I would not accept anything else from them. It is about a $1,000 part, so expect some kickback. Do not play the dealership's game. If they say no contact Honda customer serice right in front of them. Hopefully you will have a honest dealer and there will be no pain other than having to wait for the part to come in.
The car has less than 1000 miles on it, so they will be replacing it for free if they want to or not. I bought it at the end of September and this has been my only issue with it.

·
Registered
2021 Touring, Platinum White Pearl
6 Posts
I’ve had the same exact issue since I bought my 21 a few weeks ago. Flickers for a few minutes when vehicle is cold. I’m suspecting a bad chip that stops acting up once the circuits warm up. A problem like this will only get worse.

I searched online for any similar issues and could not find anything until your post here.

Had the car to the dealer once already. They spent a day with it, factory reset the system, updated everything. Said it seemed to be an issue with a “buildup of info from the previous owner” and needed the cache to be cleared so to speak. As someone that works with PLC and HMI controls I didn’t really buy it but I’ll try just about anything once. Problem went away for a day then came back. Another appt is scheduled for next week.
Please keep us updated and I’ll do the same.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Yeah... that's not normal and should be cover under warranty. I've my Insight for almost 3 years and never seen the display glitching out like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update -

After another day at the dealership they will be replacing the instrument cluster. Waiting for the part to arrive next week, hopefully.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FINALLY got the car back in & replaced the instrument cluster. Problem solved.

One thing my wife and I both noticed was the new screen seems to look nicer - display more vibrant, better contrast, and the details sharper. Much more fine details in the audio album art than before. Not sure if a hardware/firmware update in the last year or my old cluster was just that much of a lemon, but a very welcome bonus!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Life hasnt let me get around to this yet, but I just scheduled the appointment with honda. Cant wait to see how long this takes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts