Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Instrument panel / control button lighting too dim

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  redsoul210 
#1 ·
This morning, when I started out, the radio lights for the four physical buttons were not lit. About ten minutes into the drive, I saw they had come on. This has happened before.

Has anyone encountered this?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It was daylight, and the headlights were off for the entire trip. Shouldn't those buttons be lit 24/7? I need to pay closer attention.

#4 · (Edited)
Do you run with your headlight setting in 'AUTO' at all times? I choose to run my headlights manually (skipping over the 'AUTO' position), but I'm thinking the 'interior illumination sensitivity' controls the lighting state for the radio's physical buttons - separate from the headlights being on/off. See attachment, which lists 'interior illumination sensitivity' selections separate from 'auto light sensitivity.'

Watching the lighting around the physical buttons myself, it seems to change brightness independent of whether the headlights are on/off. I manually control my headlights and never run in AUTO; and yet the lighting around the radio buttons changes on its own.

(Note that this 'interior' setting seems to be different from the "automatic headlights" description on p195, which describes the ambient conditions under which the 'exterior' lights turn on/off when in AUTO.)

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks insightfully! You gave me something to check. You may be right. Since the days have grown longer, I haven't noticed the radio being dim/off lately.

On a side note, I just finished an oil change on my wife's 2018 Civic EX sedan. For the second time (first was the Insight), I backed it off the ramps before putting the belly pan back on. A little cussing later (because it had started to rain as well), I had it back on the ramps and the pan back on. Next time I'll make sure to look for "leftover parts" before backing off the ramps. On a positive note, the oil change was as easy as the Insight's, and the wife's Civic (2.0L) takes the same oil filter as the Insight (K&N PS-1010). Her Civic's maintenance light went on at 6330 miles. Way less than my Insight which got to 10,200-ish miles. See? We're savin' money! The Civic even takes more oil!

#11 ·
Sounds like you've already checked the following for brightness control at max (OM19: pg 203), in case accidentally knocked/adjusted to minimum by another driver.

Do you always run your headlights in Auto position, or do you manually adjust (like myself)? Asking since the "Auto Interior Illumination Sensitivity" setting only works when headlight switch is left in Auto (OM19: pg 382).

#13 ·
Is your infotainment system still unable to update to the new new software version 18AE-2071-001?

In the listed changes for new software version 18AE-2071-001, Honda mentions improvement to "Brightness mode for the Display Audio and buttons syncing with lighting."

Maybe figuring out the software update can help the lighting issues described above (?). Hopefully the update rolls out to your VIN soon. Or maybe it's an update that a dealer can force/install (?).

#14 ·
Is your infotainment system still unable to update to the new new software version 18AE-2071-001?

In the listed changes for new software version 18AE-2071-001, Honda mentions improvement to "Brightness mode for the Display Audio and buttons syncing with lighting."

Maybe figuring out the software update can help the lighting issues described above (?). Hopefully the update rolls out to your VIN soon. Or maybe it's an update that a dealer can force/install (?).
Unfortunately still no update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.