Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... what are people using for cleaning and protecting the interior? Not an armorall fan at all... I tried some of the driwash stuff my dealer's detail guy gave me and it sucked; left a white film that I had to clean off with an upholstery cleaner (that did fine, BTW).
Lots of products out there; want something easy but good... wipe it on, wipe it off, use it on the dash, door panels, etc...

What ya got?

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
So... what are people using for cleaning and protecting the interior? Not an armorall fan at all... I tried some of the driwash stuff my dealer's detail guy gave me and it sucked; left a white film that I had to clean off with an upholstery cleaner (that did fine, BTW).
Lots of products out there; want something easy but good... wipe it on, wipe it off, use it on the dash, door panels, etc...

What ya got?
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G13616-Interior-Detailer-Cleaner/dp/B000AMLWH8/
^I used this product for interior cleaning because like you I want something easy that I can't mess up with. You can spray it on anything inside the car including the display audio tablet. I like the fact it doesn't leave a greasy feel and glossy finish(you don't want reflections all over your dashboard while driving). Just a nice faint scent and matte finish.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
New question! I’d like some recommendations on products to use the clean the interior please. Dash, doors, console, seats, etc. I have a touring with black interior. I used a damp cloth on my previous car but there must be products I can use that are better than just water. I’ve gotten such great advice on this forum so far! Looking forward to more. Thank you in advance!
I use 303 multi-surface cleaner and then uv protector for interior & exterior detailing. For the more sensitive areas like the infotainment system, steering wheel, and shifter I also use Meguiar's quik interior detailer.
Meguiar's glass cleaner for glass.
I've an EX with fabric seats but Honda offers a leather cleaner and conditioner. I assume this would be the safest recommendation.
part #08700-9214 and part #08700-9209

Example:

Btw, remember to always condition the leather seats after using a leather cleaner otherwise the leather will dry out(some people think the conditioner is optional).

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I use ArmorAll original Protectant on all interior plastic. It cleans the dust and moisturizes giving a really nice appearance. Has a bad smell though (doesn't bother me), I think there is a non-smelly alternative.

I use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 for exterior. Its higher priced but minimal buffing effort. Gives a very nice new car in the showroom shine! I have 3 coats on the Rally Racer now (modern steel metallic is so dull and bland without a shine), and may go for a fourth before winter.

I put some Tire Wet on this morning, after my 20k oil change. Gives the wet tire in the rain look on a sunny day. Goes well with the free car wash that came with the oil change.
I've only ever used microfiber towels and warm water to clean the interior. Done regularly, there's no need for anything special. Microfiber is "da bomb." No lint/shedding, and it seems to soak up a ton. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, here's a coupon to stock up on some cheap microfiber towels (act soon - it expires the end of the month).

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I've only ever used microfiber towels and warm water to clean the interior. Done regularly, there's no need for anything special.
I'm going to do the same after I use up what I have left of the interior cleaners. Water works for me since my interior doesn't get that dirty to begin with. I'm still a fan of the 303 UV spray so will keep using that one. :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I've only ever used microfiber towels and warm water to clean the interior. Done regularly, there's no need for anything special. Microfiber is "da bomb." No lint/shedding, and it seems to soak up a ton. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, here's a coupon to stock up on some cheap microfiber towels (act soon - it expires the end of the month).
Is the water for spot cleaning specific areas, or do you wet the whole microfiber towel? Do you use this to clean the infotainment screen, and if so, any scratch risk? I've been using a Swiffer duster and 'shaking it out' afterward. Was going to apply Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer which includes UV protection. I kind of want a layer of 'something' down to protect against UV, and before my dealer uses Lysol wipes for for covid cleaning after fuel pump impeller replacement.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
Is the water for spot cleaning specific areas, or do you wet the whole microfiber towel? Do you use this to clean the infotainment screen, and if so, any scratch risk? I've been using a Swiffer duster and 'shaking it out' afterward. Was going to apply Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer which includes UV protection. I kind of want a layer of 'something' down to protect against UV, and before my dealer uses Lysol wipes for for covid cleaning after fuel pump impeller replacement.
I garage my Insight and am fortunate enough to park under cover most places I go, so UV protection isn't a major concern for me.

Other than for electronics, I wet the entire $0.69 towel and wring it out well. This will make it a a tad on the wet side of damp - which is perfect for cleaning. Microfiber is the least scratch causing of towels, and I have no problem using to simply "dust" the infotainment screen. I keep a dry towel in the car for both the screen and my eyeglasses.

I'm not posting this to advertise for Harbor Freight, but rather because I'm cheap. I use these larger towels to dry my Insight and still have not even a single scratch, buff mark, etc.

Dual Sided Microfiber Detailing Towels , 2 Pk.

The generic 20% off coupon they have applies to this product as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts