Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!! Wanting to swap out the original oem interior bulbs with LEDs. Any idea on what size of bulbs for the map lights, dome, sun visors, and trunk? For the life of me I cannot locate either in the book or on the internet what size of bulbs I need to buy. HELP!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't either, but geez.. trying to save as much power as possible to get a few yards more per mpg huh? lol
I mean it couldn't hurt, right? Haha! I really like the bright white light they offer throughout the car. Looks much nicer! Hoping to find some info on bulbs so I can get them swapped out!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Can you take out some of the original lights and see if they have any markings on them? Maybe we can figure out a pinout, a power, a color temperature, something...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you take out some of the original lights and see if they have any markings on them? Maybe we can figure out a pinout, a power, a color temperature, something...
I had to resort to that.... After looking online with no luck trying to find the correct bulb type, I went out to my Insight and took a look at the map light, the rear dome, and trunk bulb that turned out to be all the same. The only markings on them were "TOSHIBA 12v 8w". No bulb type. So after poking around on the internet, I decided to look up what the '17/'18 Honda Civic uses and that turned out to be a 194 type bulb. As of now, I ordered 4 Sylvania Zevo 194 type bulbs for the price of $39 bucks. I will report back when I get them!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Replaced all four with Philips Vision LED 194. The light is white with just a hint of blue and they fade to off just like the incandescents so I like them. Much brighter too.

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
Along the same line, what about the rear turn signal and backup lights? Would be nice to be LED all-around.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Replaced all four with Philips Vision LED 194. The light is white with just a hint of blue and they fade to off just like the incandescents so I like them. Much brighter too.
Yes, I decided on the Sylvania Zevo 194 Bulbs as those are the same brand I had in my Hyundai previously. The fade is important too.... Looks classy! Hopefully these bulbs I ordered do that or I just might switch to the Philips ones like you have. Thanks for that info!

Along the same line, what about the rear turn signal and backup lights? Would be nice to be LED all-around.
I've thought about that... Im kinda iffy on it. The reverse lights, do you have to take the entire rear assembly out to do so? The rear LED turn signals, I would worry about hyper flash and I don't feel comfortable installing any form of resistor. Know of any one who installed LED rear turn signals that had any experience using resistors or maybe even had success without them?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I attached a pic of the Sylvania 194 in the map lights with only one side installed so you can see the huge difference in brightness
Which side is the one with the aftermarket light? To me they look similarly bright, but that could easily be a trick your phone camera is playing with the exposure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You did exactly what I was going to do! Installed the same bulbs in the map lights, rear dome, and trunk. Looks good. Glad it was an easy install!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know what bulb size is for the turn signal? Looking to buy some LED ones. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_crying.png[/img]
Yeah i bought some the other day. Was a pain in the ass to see what they were, no one could help me. Turns out they're 7440. I bought mine from Amazon for 27 bucks and they didn't need a resister. So far so good

·
Registered
17 Posts
Adding LED Lights

Want to add LED lights to rear License Plate and over head console light

Suggestions and where do I find them please:smile:

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
The License Plate bulb is already LED, per the Owners Manual (page 578). The Back-Up Lights and Rear Turn Signal Lights are the only non-LED exterior lights (page 652).

·
Registered
17 Posts
How do I remove light covers

How do you take off courtesy light covers over the console to add LED light bulbs
2019 Insight

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
This is a great video. Not I want to swap the incandescent bulbs for LEDs. I just need to know how to get at the read turn signals and back-up lights since they're different form the Civic's.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts