Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had my new Insight for a few days, and I'm hearing a vibration noise coming from what it seems somewhere insight the dashboard (sounds like a metallic vibration, I'll try and record it). It went away for a day or so, and now it's very consistent whenever I drive through damaged or uneven pavement.

It's not the glovebox compartment, and I also took everything out the car. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I think I have the A-Pillar rattle.

But there's also another one coming from the dashboard. The dealer said they need to keep the car for a while and possibly take things apart. A bit nervous with them poking around, hope they do a good job putting things back together.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep. I've got a rattle that I've determined is from the front right of the car and I've put all the user-added items that I used to store there in a bag behind the driver seat. It's gotten annoying enough that I'm going to schedule a visit with the dealer to see whether it is a simple A-pillar rattle. Pretty sure it isn't B-pillar due to the forward location of the sound, could it be door or kick panel? Figure if it is something a tech can identify and address under warranty, I can once again enjoy the Insight as a nearly-new car.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Yep. I've got a rattle that I've determined is from the front right of the car and I've put all the user-added items that I used to store there in a bag behind the driver seat. It's gotten annoying enough that I'm going to schedule a visit with the dealer to see whether it is a simple A-pillar rattle. Pretty sure it isn't B-pillar due to the forward location of the sound, could it be door or kick panel? Figure if it is something a tech can identify and address under warranty, I can once again enjoy the Insight as a nearly-new car.
I'm noticing a rattle sometimes when I drive on bumpy roads near the A-pillar. I think it's the outside passenger side mirror housing because when I close that door hard enough it makes a creak/rattle sound.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My experience with the dealership has been awful. They scratched up trim pieces and still haven't fixed the rattles :mad:

I'm only hearing the A-pillar during warmer weather. There's also another rattle coming from the passenger kick panel which is very loosely fitted, I assume for easy access to the 12V battery.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’ve heard a light rattle sound when traversing certain bumpy spots and it sounded like it came from somewhere on passenger side. Almost sounded like the b pillar or roof area. I even thought it was the glovebox. Finally discovered its location when dropping my iPad on the front passenger seat, causing it to bounce. Same sound emanated from the seat cushion. Slapping the bottom seat cushion reproduces the rattling sound. I think it’s a wire or occupant sensing sensor making the noise. Try that out and see if it reproduces the rattle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That passenger side A-pillar is clicking/rattling. Can someone post a pic on how to solve this?

Thanks a whole bunch.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
That passenger side A-pillar is clicking/rattling. Can someone post a pic on how to solve this?
Reference link was posted earlier in thread:
Insight A-Pillar rattling discussion - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/321-interior/704-removing-passenger-side-front-pillar.html
There's a video link from @Misterb (post #4) with instruction on how to remove the front pillar. The thread also has the tip from @autotech (post #3) on the 'DIY receipt insertion' tip mentioned above by @Teedubb.​

If you're looking for an example of the sound in addition to repair, see the following example on CivicX:
Civic A-Pillar rattle - https://www.civicx.com/threads/passenger-a-pillar-rattle-vibration.35657/#post-606070
The sound is hard to record while driving, but you can hear the type of rattle noise in the initial part of the CivicX video. Similar to the video reference above, it provides instruction on removing the front pillar to add foam pads that mitigate the vibration/noise.​

·
Registered
104 Posts
Took the Insight in to the dealer and made an appointment with the same advisor that solved a tricky trunk alarm issue on my 2007 Civic before I sold it. He drove it around and thought it was the leather front console on the passenger side and that it was sensitive to the cold weather now in Chicago and seemed to fade a bit with the heat turned on. (Trying squeeze mileage, I usually do not turn on the heat until engine is warm via highway driving and get by with seat warmers until then).

He said to drive it this week to see if that's it and if it remains an issue, that they can replace the leather front console. If it turns out that it's just a cold weather rattle...I'll live with it rather than dumping a parts in the trash (which might not even solve the problem).

On the way back home I got to thinking...has anyone thought the rattle came from their rear view mirror joint or the plastic camera electronics cover? Just considering that the sound is coming from the forward right of the driver and that jiggling the mirror or tapping on the plastic cover near the mirror mount does create similiar sounds, but wondering if it is unlikely since it is high mounted (further removed from the shock of the tires) and close to the driver that if there was a noise, wouldn't it have been more obvious to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
On the way back home I got to thinking...has anyone thought the rattle came from their rear view mirror joint or the plastic camera electronics cover? Just considering that the sound is coming from the forward right of the driver and that jiggling the mirror or tapping on the plastic cover near the mirror mount does create similiar sounds, but wondering if it is unlikely since it is high mounted (further removed from the shock of the tires) and close to the driver that if there was a noise, wouldn't it have been more obvious to me.
You're the first that I know of to suspect camera housing/wiring to be the source of vibration...

·
Registered
29 Posts
This Tourning trim with Micheline "GREEN technology" X-ice v3 Snow Tires in below 32 F degrees has horrible gas mileage. I'm at 32-40mpg on average now. City and Highway driving. Really really bad for a hybrid.

Passenger A-Pillar rattles.
Glove box rattling too, and
the P.O.S. quality rear-deck SUBWOOFER rattles like madd.
My passenger A pillar rattles a ton as well.. as does what sounds like the passenger door itself.. it's super annoying and ruins the high quality feel of the car..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my 2019 Honda Insight EX into the dealer twice to have passenger side vibrations looked at. First visit, nothing fixed. Basically claimed I was making it up. To placate me they replaced the noise cancellation system in the car - an expensive repair for them that took a couple of hours and did absolutely nothing.
Second visit I had the technician drive around with me. This time, he could hear a vibration loud and clear, especially over rough road. At the time I said there was really two noises - the metallic sounding vibration that was really becoming annoying and ruining my drive - and the second one was from the dashboard and is the one described in this thread.
The tech used a "noise reduction kit" - which sounded like some sort of felt adhesive they use to dampen vibrations. I believe they used it inside the door and also in a panel under the glovebox near the floor -and it seemed to resolve that particular vibration. The second vibration was not addressed and I could still hear this pop / click whatever you want to name it, when I drove over the slightest bump at any speed.
After reading through here I went about fixing this myself using the soft half of velcro tape. Seemed to do the trick. I wedged it in there carefully and able to get a good fit. Did not remove the adhesive back at first because you need that there to get the velcro in place. Eventually got it pretty snug and it looks good. Hopefully these photos give an idea of how I got the tape in place, not the final result.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excerpt from Motor Trend experience with the car

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/insight/2019/2019-honda-insight-ex-long-term-update-5-review/

The A-1 service was performed with no complications or surprises. As for the dash squeak, apparently the mechanics couldn't quite replicate it, but they did notice that the tires weren't properly inflated, which they believed to be the problem. Cost for the job, $89.99 (as advertised) with no additional charge for checking the creaky dash. Total cost at checkout: $96.05.
Our Insight had not been washed by the service team, but the interior looked and smelled as if it had received a bit of a wipe-down. We noted that the mileage had not budged, so there was certainly no joyriding—but it also didn't seem that the technicians drove it much when attempting to diagnose the dash squeak. Could they have driven it under a mile and decided that was enough? Nyeh, maybe. Suspicious of such a quick and easy fix, we drove the car home with the radio off, and over any rough patch of pavement we could find. Not a squeak or a creak from the dash, so maybe it was just underfilled tires. We'll let you know in our next update

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had brought my Insight back to them for a diagnosis by the technician. Left it with them overnight and into the next day. They found a loose fastener behind the glove box. Have driven it a bit since the last two weeks and still I've got at least one annoying rattle.

Testing so far by sitting on the passenger side and tapping on top of the dash, it appears to be the farthest right end that creates a buzz. Of course going over rough road may not be the same as tapping the top of the dash, but that's the best I can do without involving another person driving. Right end of the dash would seem to suggest the A pillar - so I stuffed folded paper to the base of the pillar where it meets the dash and another piece against near the bottom against the glass. As for where it meets the trim nearest the door, I put none since I figure that's a damping piece anyways. Going to try this out for a bit before I head back to the dealership to ask them for an A pillar solution that looks better.

Otherwise on the outside, I found that my right mirror has a bit of play that you can hear when you close the door. A service advisor (not my usual) said it appeared that my mirror had been hit before (I couldn't see it) and didn't think that Honda would authorize warranty replacement. Annoys me when I close the passenger door and I doubt one can hear it while in cabin driving over rough road. To isolate it for now...I also stuffed a folded piece of cardstock to silence it (now it sounds like what a Honda door should sound like when it closes).

Going to put some more driving on this weekend before I decide to bring it in next Tuesday or not.

Sure...I'll check my tire pressures too...(regarding the Motor Trend long term 13K service article).

·
Registered
104 Posts
The A pillar fix referenced by Insightfully at the CivicX is so straightforward, I'm going to go ahead and do it before this weekend's driving. At first I didn't want to mess with anything on a new car and also close to an airbag, but it looks like there's really no harm in there. And if there's anything loose from the dash area, the A pillar covers are prime suspects here.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Otherwise on the outside, I found that my right mirror has a bit of play that you can hear when you close the door. A service advisor (not my usual) said it appeared that my mirror had been hit before (I couldn't see it) and didn't think that Honda would authorize warranty replacement. Annoys me when I close the passenger door and I doubt one can hear it while in cabin driving over rough road. To isolate it for now...I also stuffed a folded piece of cardstock to silence it (now it sounds like what a Honda door should sound like when it closes).
My passenger side mirror is the same when I close the door. The mirror housing being hit sounds reasonable because I've caught people banging their door against my side mirror a few times when I was still in the car.

The A pillar fix referenced by Insightfully at the CivicX is so straightforward, I'm going to go ahead and do it before this weekend's driving. At first I didn't want to mess with anything on a new car and also close to an airbag, but it looks like there's really no harm in there. And if there's anything loose from the dash area, the A pillar covers are prime suspects here.
I did that a week ago while installing my dashcam. Definitely helped with the A pillar rattle by fixing the foam piece at the bottom of the plastic cover and re-securing everything.

Reactions: elvin

·
Registered
4 Posts
This A-Pillar removal was very, very simple. I went back to my little home repair with the velcro and was able to really make it look good before adding the pillar back on (fixed the velcro to the pillar). Noticed a couple of places where a cable could also rattle along the top and added adhesive fabric between it and the rail the cable travels over. Put everything back together it is all beautiful and perfect. Good luck everyone - let me know how things go!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts